Recompiling AGS Editor (and other stupid questions)

Started by Knox, Mon 05/11/2012 01:06:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Knox

Hi,

I downloaded Skygoblin's "master" (not sure what that is, master "build" I guess) and I copied the contents inside the bin folder to my AGS editor folder. Everything works fine, I now can have custom resolutions (yay!).

What Id like to know, (really stupid question), is how do I modify various editor values + "recompile"? Id like to change MAX_INIT_SPR to 60 inside acroom.h + recompile (means increasing the max objects per room to 60, right?)...but with what program do I use? Some c++ kind of program? Plus, Id like to increase the maximum amount of gui controls above 30, but where do I find that value?

If there is a newbie tutorial on all this, sorry but I looked and really couldnt find it!

PS: Also, if Id like to keep the draconian editor's changes (awesome), but merge it with skygoblin's changes, how would one do that? I realize this will probably get me an answer like "go take a programmer's course", hehe..which Im thinking of doing...(what classes would you suggest for ags type scripting and editor changes, etc?)

**EDIT: OK, I need visual studio.
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Knox

I guess this is way beyond my current skills!

Gilbert

When I first saw this thread I actually hesitated in whether I should move this to Advanced Tech or Editor Development, as it's probably "too advanced" for Advanced Tech (which is normally more about using AGS) but Editor Development is more leaned towards further developing the things. Beginners' Tech certain isn't the right place (it's not your fault, as even I couldn't decide where it should really be placed). Eventually I decided to leave it alone and hopefully someone would reply and drift this to a certain direction, so that I can categorise it properly and move it accordingly.

Seemed that I was wrong. Leaving it in Beginners' Tech let it draw no attention from people who are good enough to solve your problem.

Apparently it seemed to be more fitting in Editor Development though, so I will move it there now and hopefully someone would comment on this.

Crimson Wizard

I really would like to answer those questions, but I don't even know how to properly start. From what you are saying I can figure you are only beginning to learn programming (?). While completing certain tasks during coding a program could be a problem on its own, gathering knowledge about how this all works is an uncomparably bigger problem.
So...
Quote from: General_Knox on Mon 05/11/2012 01:06:44
I realize this will probably get me an answer like "go take a programmer's course"
This. :)

Other than that, it would be better if you write down the clear and ordered list of things you would like to do and having trouble accomplishing, starting with the most basic (like setting up/compiling) otherwise it is difficult (well, for me) to decide how to explain.
The questions you asked here seem to related both to Engine and Editor; changing number of objects in the room for instance will require reworking both projects correspondingly.

Id like to change MAX_INIT_SPR to 60 inside acroom.h + recompile (means increasing the max objects per room to 60, right?)...but with what program do I use? Some c++ kind of program? Plus, Id like to increase the maximum amount of gui controls above 30, but where do I find that value?
You may want to check Common/acgui.h where struct GUIMain is declared. Specifically this part:
Code: cpp

#define MAX_OBJS_ON_GUI 30
<...>
struct GUIMain
{
   <...>
   GUIObject *objs[MAX_OBJS_ON_GUI];
   int objrefptr[MAX_OBJS_ON_GUI];       // for re-building objs array
   short drawOrder[MAX_OBJS_ON_GUI];

Also remember that changing one thing may be not sufficient to make it work, and every change may have side-effects that are not obvious from the beginning. So natural advice is - before doing anything always try to understand the ties between program parts.

If there is a newbie tutorial on all this, sorry but I looked and really couldnt find it!
I never heard of any tutorial on hacking neither engine or editor, but some things were discussed; you may check Di Perla's "Navigating through and understanding the AGS Source" threads in the Engine Development subforum.

PS: Also, if Id like to keep the draconian editor's changes (awesome), but merge it with skygoblin's changes, how would one do that?
A simple answer would be: merging changes is done by merging code. Probably a Diff & Merge programs, like WinMerge or KDiff would be useful. Just keep in mind that some changes could conflict, in which case you will have to find workaround yourself.

Knox

Oh wow, ok this really is way over my head. Im seriously thinking of taking night classes after work in programming. I can fiddle around, hacking my way through but it would be really nice to fully understand everything I am doing, heh! Ive always been on the art side but I have to admit, the more I dabble in writing code, the more I love it...serious fun :)

I appreciate your help guys, I think I will wisely back off from this for now.

Icey

Not saying I abandon the thread where I was asking for help about this(I sorta went into a panic state cause there was just so much I had to go through or I wasn't explaining things right), but basically I'm sure he wants to know the same thing as me. after you change what you have to change, where do you go to make all the files compile together to form a new AGS. Like is there a main file you have to open up and compile it from there or do you have to like highlight everything from with Visual Studio and then have it compile.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk