Let's build a new AGS demo game!

Started by cat, Sun 14/05/2023 19:41:43

Previous topic - Next topic

RootBound

I'd also like to suggest a GUI since it's one of the only big decisions left before we could cobble together a prototype:

1) A small menu button in one corner of the screen. Click it to open a menu bar that contains save, load, and exit options, and an inventory window.
2) two-click interface with no need for scrolling through modes. Left click to walk, interact, or talk to (determind automatically depending on whatis under the cursor), or use inventory (if active). Right click to put away inventory or examine.
3) code this in a fairly simple way that does not require a separate two-click handler script, so as to keep the code accessible to newcomers.

Any thoughts, suggestions, changes?
They/them. Here are some of my games:

lapsking

I mean really, you haven't came to conclusion with these things yet but you have found your eternal toad voice? I think you guys were much faster and successful without me. I'm leaving, have fun.
keep it indie

RootBound

@lapsking, sorry, I forgot I had already found that sound file. This thread wad inactive for a couple months and I should have gone back and re-read it. Apologies.
They/them. Here are some of my games:

OneDollar

Quote from: RootBound on Yesterday at 16:19:25I'd also like to suggest a GUI since it's one of the only big decisions left before we could cobble together a prototype:

1) A small menu button in one corner of the screen. Click it to open a menu bar that contains save, load, and exit options, and an inventory window.
2) two-click interface with no need for scrolling through modes. Left click to walk, interact, or talk to (determind automatically depending on whatis under the cursor), or use inventory (if active). Right click to put away inventory or examine.
3) code this in a fairly simple way that does not require a separate two-click handler script, so as to keep the code accessible to newcomers.

Any thoughts, suggestions, changes?

IMO that sounds good. I know there are concerns about two button interfaces, but I don't think the demo should be embedded in a website or played on mobile. It's not a demo of "Here's what the engine can do, download it now", it's a "Here's how to make all the basic features of an adventure game work". Users should be downloading it alongside the editor (ideally installing as an option alongside the editor), opening and running from inside the editor, while also going through the scripts to figure out how that thing they just saw works. In that context it's being played on a computer and I think it's fairly safe to assume two buttons are available?

As a catch all you can add
4) Use an inventory item on itself to put it away.
5) Don't build puzzles that require examining items.

There were also conversations about using one of the existing interface templates as a starting point. My argument against that is a) they already have their own demos and documentation, b) the simplest template is probably BASS and that has some legacy bagage with its naming (TwoClickHandler, Lightweight BASS Stub) and extras we might not want (inventory pop-up), and c) it might be easier to comment code written for specifically for this project?

Feel free to disagree, I know I'm wading in here to something you've been kicking around for months.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk