Tune Contest: Cutscenes (23rd Jan to 6th Feb)

Started by Problem, Wed 23/01/2013 10:52:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Problem

One of the most interesting challenges in writing game music are the cut-scenes. So much can happen within just a few seconds, and it can be tricky to get the timing right and keep the music short enough.

This time you'll have to do a little bit more than composing a tune. Here's what I want you to do:

• Make up a typical adventure game cutscene.
  • Compose a tune for your cutscene.
  • Post your tune along with a short description of the cutscene.
  • Make it short and dense. The maximum length is 1 minute.
  • No further restrictions, it can be any style and genre.
You could also take a cutscene from any existing adventure game and compose your own theme for it. You'll have to write a description nonetheless, because I might not have played that game.

You have two weeks, and I'll pick a winner on 7th February.

Happy composing!

PeterT

Oooh, very interesting! This could be quite challenging, actually. Hopefully inspiration strikes! :-)

Problem

Only 3 days left. Come on guys, I'm waiting for some nice entries! :)

m0ds

Great theme, writin to cues = very important for AG composers! And I'm trying to submit an entry, lol...just trying to find the time, hopefully tonight or tomorrow :)

tamatic

Goodbye Blimp, description and approximate timing:

This cutscene funtions as a false ending to the 3th (final) act.
Our adventure, by now, did teach our hero a few new things about life and himself. And with great convenience, while reaching this point in story development, he also just fixed his blimp. Time to go home, he takes position.
Up up and away?

The initial setting includes our hero, the blimp and another person standing next to those. All are situated near the bottom of a dense rocky valley. The person standing next to the blimp introduced himself as guide earlier in the game. But despite his title, and periodic appearances, did not show to be very useful... until now ironically, just when we are about to leave this place of wonder and annoyance.

1) 0:00 We witness a few last words between our hero and his idiotic, kind-hearted guide.
2) 0:11 With an overly determined gaze the guide starts winding the propellor. (He seems to know what he is doing, for once, and doesn't try to hide this.)
3) 0:17 Slowly but surely the blimp starts to rise from the low spot in the valley.
4) 0:22 We cut to our elevated hero, he looks content with recent events and even decides to look down.
5) 0:27 The guide is seen from above acting out an unrestrained goodbye ritual.
6) 0:30 Wide. The blimp, rising. (first real hint of twilight/night --in the last few chapters it been noon/late noon.)
7) 0:35 Close. Our hero suddenly shows a look of joyfull astonishment. (Making us wonder why)
8) 0:40 The town/world seen from the sky, no longer obscured by the hills. The lanterns our hero fixed (and whatever other outstanding accomplishments down there) make for a great view.
9) 0:45 We rise further. The world gets smaller and all things below magicly seem to wave goodbye.
10) 0:49 The blimp keeps rising in the night, and approaches a roof firmly build out of thick clouds.
11) 0:52 All is veiled by a thick cold mist. We can hear there is something not sounding as it should. (the propellor)
12) 0:56 An unsettling blast makes our hero realise that he won't be leaving this hell hole full of needy idiots after all.

Goodbye Blimp, storyboard draft:
storyboard02.png

Goodbye Blimp, music and sound:
goodbyeblimp01.ogg

A fun and intimidating challenge, so many choices.  Writing the description was one of more frustrating parts for me since English isn't my native. I didn't find the time to flesh out the storyboard, but well that wasn't part of the challenge I suppose.

Hope you'll enjoy. :D
you don't get to drink tea dear,
it's all about cups here

Viking

Not sure if I'll have time to actually write something, but I have an idea, rather different from my usual stuff.

m0ds

Fantastic tamatic! Love that propeller effect :)

Diamond16

So disappointed that I ran out of time to do this challenge, had an idea and everything. 

Great tune Tamatic!

tamatic

Despite these suspicious circumstances I'll celebrate my victory now. 
Next challenge will appear within days.
Meanwhile keep watching your back everyone.

:0

it's all about cups here

Problem

Sorry for the delay. I have the flu and had to stay in bed most of the time.

Too bad there were no more entries.
Tamatic wins by default, but this is well-deserved. What a fantastic entry! Interesting sounds and buildup, I just love your style. The music fits the scene perfectly, very nice use of sound effects, a very detailed description, you even drew a storyboard... this is so much more than I expected.

Congratulations, tamatic!

tamatic

Quote from: Problem on Fri 08/02/2013 13:01:11
Sorry for the delay. I have the flu and had to stay in bed most of the time.

Too bad there were no more entries.
Tamatic wins by default, but this is well-deserved. What a fantastic entry! Interesting sounds and buildup, I just love your style. The music fits the scene perfectly, very nice use of sound effects, a very detailed description, you even drew a storyboard... this is so much more than I expected.

Congratulations, tamatic!

Thanks! And gesundheit.

New contest here. :D

it's all about cups here

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk