Bug in 3.2.1: "EndUpdateResource failed"

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Thu 28/02/2013 00:31:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

I'm working on a game not created by me. I imported the game files into AGS 3.2.1 (current release) and the importer told me that it detected that the game was made with 3.1.2 SP1.

I immediately try to build it and I get the following errors :
1) "An problem occurred setting your custom icon onto the setup file. The error was: Unable to load the custom icon: EndUpdateResource failed."
(the Grammar mistake "An problem" is part of the message :) ). That's a popup window by the way ^

2) (After I click on OK): "Compile successful!"

If I run the compilation again, that time I get :

1) "An problem occurred setting your custom icon onto the setup file. The error was: Unable to load the custom icon: EndUpdateResource failed."

2) (After I click on OK) "There were compilation errors. See the output window for details".

3) The ouptput window shows two errors :
"Unable to register for Vista Game Explorer: Unable to replace resource: EndUpdateResource for _GDF_XML failed: 0000006E"
"Unable to set EXE name/description: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Please note that the game works perfectly afterwards. It also has the custom icon. I mean, it's not missing, despite what the compiler says.
I'm using Windows XP. I suspect that maybe the people who created the game use Windows Vista.

Question: does anybody still have 3.1.2 SP1? This way I'd be able to see if the issues also appear there.

=========

By the way that behaviour is mentionned in two other threads but apparently it has never been fixed, nor the exact cause found out: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40844.msg555192#msg555192

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: jugwhisky on Thu 28/02/2013 01:50:48
Try 'Older builds' at http://agsarchives.com/engine.html

Alright thanks, I went tot he download page and didn't see the link to the older versions.

Monsieur OUXX

So I tried going back to 3.1.2 SP1 and compiling the original game files, and I still get the error about the missing custom icon. As I wrote before , I don't think the issue is really with the custom icon, as the game gets built properly, with the icon. Or could it be an issue with the format of the .ico file (wrong color depth or something), the compiler processes it successfully but meets an unexpected EOF?

I don't have the errors about the Vista Game thingy in 3.1.2 SP1 but I guess that feature was not implemented yet in that AGS version; Therefore I have them in 3.2.1.

But there is definitely a bug. It's a minor bug, since the game gets built, but a rather annoying one: you get an error every time you compile, and it tells you that your memorry is corrupt!

zabnat

I remember having that "Unable to register for Vista Game Explorer" appear randomly on 3.2.1.111. I haven't paid too much attention to it because next time I build it hasn't appeared.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: zabnat on Thu 28/02/2013 15:22:47
I remember having that "Unable to register for Vista Game Explorer" appear randomly on 3.2.1.111. I haven't paid too much attention to it because next time I build it hasn't appeared.

In my case it happens every time.

Crimson Wizard

Can't you check this under debugger to see the source of error (I mean Visual Studio)? If you can't, maybe someone else could try, if you upload this project.

UPD: Error code 0x6E is "The system cannot open the device or file specified."
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms681382(v=vs.85).aspx

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 01/03/2013 09:26:06
Can't you check this under debugger to see the source of error (I mean Visual Studio)?

I don't have Visual Studio installed at the moment, and I have only a small netbook; I'll try when I have the opportunity.
However, my team mates say that the very same game files don't generate an error at compilation when they do it on Windows 7. As a reminder, I have XP.

It looks to me more and more like AGS wrongly detects the OS and tries to do some Vista/7 stuff during compilation (with the Vista Game Index or something), and generates a EndUpdateResource error. Then this error is caught by AGS, who wrongly understands it as a "custom icon" error (this is probably inherited from older times when the only possible resources error was an icon error).

fire

At the bottom of General Settings, there's a section of Windows Vista Game Explorer options (in 3.1 and 3.2). Did 'Enable Game Explorer integration' maybe get toggled True at some point?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: jugwhisky on Sun 03/03/2013 09:08:59
At the bottom of General Settings, there's a section of Windows Vista Game Explorer options (in 3.1 and 3.2). Did 'Enable Game Explorer integration' maybe get toggled True at some point?

Good suggestion. It said "false", so I enabled it, compiled, then disabled it again, and compiled.
The errors are still here.
It's weird because they occur rather randomly. (By that I mean: there is always an error, but sometimes it's the one about the custom icon, sometimes it's the one one about the access to the EXE file, sometimes both).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk