Tune Contest: Deus ex Machina (March 14th - April 1st) Winner announced!

Started by Problem, Thu 14/03/2013 20:44:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Problem

EDIT: The new deadline is April 1st.

Deus ex Machina (Latin: "god from the machine") is a plot device that is used to resolve a seemingly hopeless situation in a sudden and unexpected way. As the name suggests, this could be the intervention of a higher power, but it can also be something completely different.
A more detailed explanation and many examples can be found on tvtropes.org (beware, this website will kill your time once you start reading!)

For this contest, I want you to compose a tune for a "Deus ex Machina" scene. The rules are simple:

* The tune should start in a pessimistic, depressing or dramatic way.
* There must be at least one sudden, unexpected twist.
* It should end on a positive note

You have two weeks, the deadline is March 29th.

Happy composing!

Armageddon

Not a composer, but this would also make a great Mags theme.

Problem

Yes, definitely! But as I'm not going to win any MAGS competition in the foreseeable future, I settled for the tune contest :-D

Problem

nihilyst

That's a very rushed "done in 10 minutes"-entry, so I hereby disqualify it to winning by default; but I don't want the competition to end without at least one tune: CLICK HERE

I tried to evoke feelings of a rainy day, beginning with the distant roars of a thunderstorm, then some raindrops, a rainy mood, and finally the sun shining through.

Intense Degree

I actually did start something for this, but haven't got very far (and it isn't very good). If possible I will try and do some more on it, or otherwise might just post it unfinished anyway by tomorrow.

Viking

This is a fantastic topic for a contest, but unfortunately I've been quite busy the past couple of weeks, so I haven't had time to write anything. :(

Problem

Okay, it seems that people are running out of time for this contest. Intense Degree is working on something and nihilyst doesn't want to win by default, so I might as well extend the deadline by a couple of days.
So, if no one objects, the new deadline will be April 1st and I'll pick a winner on Tuesday.

Intense Degree

OK so it's late and unfinished but having been ill most of the weekend I'm just going to post it anyway.

Teh Musicz

Problem

And here are my comments:

nihilyst: This is actually very good for "done in 10 minutes"! It has a nice impressionist mood. It feels kind of improvised, which is not necessarily a bad thing, though the music is a bit directionless in places. For a deus ex machina, it evolves a bit too slowly. It definitely ends more positive than it starts, but the change is very subtle. Overall very well done, but it's lacking the sudden unexpected twist.

Intense Degree: Your tune may be unfinished, but it sounds very complete to me. It is well written, has a nice sound and atmosphere, and it has the sudden twist that this contest was aiming for. I could totally see this in a "deux ex machina" cut scene. Well done!

I had hoped for more entries, but the two we got are both very good. The winner is Intense Degree, because his tune is closer to the topic of this contest. Congratulations! ;-D

Intense Degree

Hooray for me! Although I do feel a bit bad having won with a late entry...

Anyway, I'll get the next one up and running soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk