Adventure Island - new point-and-click game launched

Started by elentgirl, Sat 25/05/2013 17:11:46

Previous topic - Next topic

elentgirl

Quote from: Cogliostro on Wed 29/05/2013 17:30:11
One thing struck me odd, it doesn't seem sane that a rescue operation would be carried out by *ONE* person.  It would have made more sense to me - and kept to the game design - if she was supposed to be part of the original team, but delayed, and thus arrives after everyone else has disappeared. 
BUGS:
Spoiler

1) Changed into pirate outfit, went back into one of the other rooms in the tower - or at least I tried, and the mouse disappeared.
2) Inside Montezuma's Revenge: In the mines:  Grab the pickaxe, go down the ladder, go back up - and you cannot put the axe down
3) Inside Montezuma's Revenge: At Lemmings: hold the beam of wood and click on the stairs, and you get to the next room without stopping the lemmings.
[close]

Thank you for your comments.

With regard to only sending one person to rescue the team, you are quite right - it would be ridiculous.  But my game is something of a spoof, which is why it is down to one smart girl to save the day, Lara Croft style!  I could write at length on the philosophy of adventure games in general and how much (or how little) they reflect reality, but I'm not sure that would be appropriate to this thread.

With regard to the bugs, thank you for pointing them out.  2 and 3 I can fix fairly easily, I think - looks like another patch will be needed.  However, the first one I could not replicate.  I tried every door and they all worked as they should.  Perhaps I'm missing something.

GAME UPDATE

I have created a second patch for my game to fix a few irritating bugs, especially in the Montezuma's Mountain section.  I designed it to update version 1.2 to version 1.3, but I tried it on the earlier version (v1.1) and it seemed to update that just as well.  And the updated version will still load games saved with the older versions.  The latest patch is available at: https://www.box.com/s/cboyb2vwum9wnq8sm24x

srnickolas

hello! played this some time today and i must say is very fun,combining different styles of adventures into one(side scroller ,myst-like etc).Shooting section is hilarious,myst section devious and i loved the lemmings reference in montezuma section.Just droped by to mention a little bug : when i encountered the zombie, the sound effect of it remained for the remaining game,either if i load it again.Havent tried the latest patch though...i am in the manor now and i still hear it !

elentgirl

Quote from: srnickolas on Sat 01/06/2013 16:04:26
Just droped by to mention a little bug : when i encountered the zombie, the sound effect of it remained for the remaining game,either if i load it again.Havent tried the latest patch though...i am in the manor now and i still hear it !

Did you save the game while the zombie was making its noise?  I ask because I have had no end of trouble with repeating sound effects not turning off properly when a saved game is reloaded.  I have been told that it may be a bug in AGS itself.  I have put in a little routine in most of the places where I use a repeating sound effect, but I'm not sure if I remembered to do this for the zombie.  I will have a look.  Another patch may be needed.  Every time I have tested the game and moved away from the zombie without saving, the sound effect has stopped.

Sslaxx

Quote from: elentgirl on Wed 29/05/2013 14:58:52
GAME UPDATE!

I have created a patch to update version 1.1 of my game to 1.2.  This fixes the sliding panel bug and one or two other minor faults.  If you want to update your copy of the game, you can find the patch here:  https://www.box.com/shared/static/6aheucydx2ivesqbt0j3.exe
That link sends my antivirus package into conniption fits. It absolutely refuses to let me download it.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

srnickolas

Quote from: elentgirl on Sat 01/06/2013 17:42:27
Quote from: srnickolas on Sat 01/06/2013 16:04:26
Just droped by to mention a little bug : when i encountered the zombie, the sound effect of it remained for the remaining game,either if i load it again.Havent tried the latest patch though...i am in the manor now and i still hear it !

Did you save the game while the zombie was making its noise?  I ask because I have had no end of trouble with repeating sound effects not turning off properly when a saved game is reloaded.  I have been told that it may be a bug in AGS itself.  I have put in a little routine in most of the places where I use a repeating sound effect, but I'm not sure if I remembered to do this for the zombie.  I will have a look.  Another patch may be needed.  Every time I have tested the game and moved away from the zombie without saving, the sound effect has stopped.
well i dont remember maybe...do you want to send you a save file?

Also sometimes when you are outside the manor(i thinks that occures when exiting first the manor) and click to the left of the screen to exit,then the character does something bizzare:see goes at the center of the screen and just climbs up and down the stairs repeatedly without stoping!

elentgirl

Quote from: Sslaxx on Sat 01/06/2013 18:31:58
That link sends my antivirus package into conniption fits. It absolutely refuses to let me download it.

As you downloaded the game from the same source, I suspect that your antivirus may be objecting because the patch is an 'exe' file.  I have copied both patches into a folder to see if that will fool your antivirus.  You should only need to use the latest patch, even on an earlier version of the game.  The link to the new folder is: https://www.box.com/s/33gr9h6v89vep48d46h2

I hope it works OK.

Quote from: srnickolas on Sat 01/06/2013 20:32:27
Also sometimes when you are outside the manor(i thinks that occures when exiting first the manor) and click to the left of the screen to exit,then the character does something bizzare:see goes at the center of the screen and just climbs up and down the stairs repeatedly without stoping!

Thank you, but I have already been alerted to that particular peculiarity and the patches I put on-line should have cured it.  Please let me know if you have patched your game and Annie is still doing her strange dance!

Regarding the zombie, I have done a bit more investigating and I think it must be linked to saving and loading the game when close by the zombie.  I should be able to make a patch for it fairly soon.  In the meantime, to avoid the problem, don't save your game while the zombie is growling at you.  Move away before you save.

I'm glad you are enjoying my game (apart from the glitches!) and thank you for your comments.

LimpingFish

Let's keep the double-posting to a minimum, peeps. Use the ol' "modify" button to edit posts.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

srnickolas

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 01/06/2013 22:28:34
Let's keep the double-posting to a minimum, peeps. Use the ol' "modify" button to edit posts.
yes sorry for that!

Uziel

Quote from: elentgirl on Sat 01/06/2013 22:02:09
As you downloaded the game from the same source, I suspect that your antivirus may be objecting because the patch is an 'exe' file.  I have copied both patches into a folder to see if that will fool your antivirus.  You should only need to use the latest patch, even on an earlier version of the game.  The link to the new folder is: https://www.box.com/s/33gr9h6v89vep48d46h2

I downloaded the patch (Chrome spat the dummy for some reason with your d/load... even though I d/load all my AGS games through there without issue, but Firefox let me d/load it). Both patches error out on execution when run in the same directory as the game with "unable to determine startup path: getshortpathnamew failed. the specified game file might be missing."

The game was a bit of fun, but after the glitches have prevented me from continuing further, then the trouble with the patches, I might call it a day. I dare say the fault may be with me anyway, as others haven't posted problems with installing the patch. Oh well.

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Tue 04/06/2013 10:35:50
The game was a bit of fun, but after the glitches have prevented me from continuing further, then the trouble with the patches, I might call it a day. I dare say the fault may be with me anyway, as others haven't posted problems with installing the patch. Oh well.

I'm sad that you have had all this trouble with the game.  Both the patch files ran perfectly when I tested them, so I'm not sure why they are not working for you.  The only other alternative is to download the latest version of the game (version 1.3).  If you've saved your game (which I'm sure you have!) the saved game files should load into the new version with no problems.  If you would like to try that, the link is: https://www.box.com/s/c2hcc0fx4tijgcgnpz3x

splat44

Hi,

I might have found a bug here:
Inventory item I have: tape from tent, curious item (next screen) another curious item (outside building with many doors). Inside same building: playground ticket, some ID including compass.

Inventory item I have: tape from tent, curious item (next screen) another curious item (outside building with many doors). Inside same building: playground ticket, some ID including compass.

Spoiler
However, no one seem to mentioned about clearing area before getting to lemming area.
Is this a bug? I recall play this first time and by doing several thing before, I didn't had to clear area before getting to lemming area in which I was able doing following: attempting throwing pickax and explosived.
Again, after clearing area (before entering lemming) can't do a thing here as others pointed.
[close]

elentgirl

Quote from: splat44 on Tue 04/06/2013 21:32:41
Hi,

Spoiler
However, no one seem to mentioned about clearing area before getting to lemming area.
Is this a bug? I recall play this first time and by doing several thing before, I didn't had to clear area before getting to lemming area in which I was able doing following: attempting throwing pickax and explosived.
Again, after clearing area (before entering lemming) can't do a thing here as others pointed.
[close]

You cannot use anything from your inventory in the Montezuma's Mountain section.  If your problem is that the hotspots in the mine for putting things back there have disappeared, then you need to use the latest patch to upgrade the game to version 1.3.  If it isn't that, then...
Spoiler

Maybe using the rope is the key to solving the puzzle!
[close]

If neither of these help, please try to let me know exactly what you did and what happened (or didn't happen) and I'll try to fix it.

splat44

Quote from: elentgirl on Tue 04/06/2013 22:56:34
Quote from: splat44 on Tue 04/06/2013 21:32:41
Hi,

Spoiler
[close]

You cannot use anything from your inventory in the Montezuma's Mountain section.  If your problem is that the hotspots in the mine for putting things back there have disappeared, then you need to use the latest patch to upgrade the game to version 1.3.  If it isn't that, then...
Spoiler

Maybe using the rope is the key to solving the puzzle!
[close]

If neither of these help, please try to let me know exactly what you did and what happened (or didn't happen) and I'll try to fix it.

I am already using latest version 1.3 found on your website, I'll be more than glad to upload my savegave.

elentgirl

Quote from: splat44 on Wed 05/06/2013 00:20:18
I am already using latest version 1.3 found on your website, I'll be more than glad to upload my savegave.

The AGS save files are not usually very large, so you could send it to me as an email attachment if you like. My email is on my AGS profile.

splat44

I solved this area! It's just hotspot didn't showed until I attempted getting past lemmings at first!

Quote from: elentgirl on Wed 05/06/2013 10:01:23
Quote from: splat44 on Wed 05/06/2013 00:20:18

The AGS save files are not usually very large, so you could send it to me as an email attachment if you like. My email is on my AGS profile.

TMontZ

Hi elentgirl,

Just wanted to say that I am loving this game so far.  The puzzles I've completed are quite well-designed and fun (and there's a wide variety of puzzle types, not to mention the mini-games), and the references to classic games and pop culture are worked in very artfully.  The understated humor is also spot-on.  The pacing seems solid and the game feels fairly non-linear, too.

I have to admit that I didn't expect all this looking at the screenshots and description you posted - they somehow don't convey the game's rich and unique personality, and don't show how cohesive the game actually feels when you play it.  I guess these qualities can be hard to demonstrate in a screenshot or text.  I took a leap of faith in downloading this, based on some of the things people said in this thread, but I'm really glad I did.  I'm honestly enjoying it every bit as much as I've enjoyed certain favorite classic adventures.

Slight "spoilers" (barely, just give away locations mainly):
Spoiler
Anyway, I'm not sure how far along I am, but I've collected several artifacts from the amusement park, a number of identical "mysterious objects," and have solved a bunch of puzzles.  Right now I'm in the middle of the TSA section.
[close]
Indeed, this seems like a pretty 'big' game considering that it's freeware.

I do have some critiques and I've been writing them down, but I think I'll wait until I finish the game to post/send anything about that.

I'm really impressed with this.  Thank you for making it, and I look forward to playing other games by you!  You are apparently a really meticulous designer, so I hope you'll keep making projects, and it'd be great to see a commercial indie someday from you (just a thought!).

TMontZ

elentgirl

Hello TMontZ

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated.  I selected the screenshots as what I thought would make good tasters without giving away too much, but it is difficult for me to know what will appeal to other players.  I made Adventure Island to be the sort of game I would enjoy playing!

If you would like to help me, and any other players who are uncertain about investing in such a large download, the best way you could help is by rating my game on the AGS Games page, and maybe posting a comment or two as well.  The recommendation of other players is worth much more than anything I can say.

I also look forward to your criticisms.  I received quite a few on my earlier game, Once Upon A Time, and these helped me make this game much better (I hope!)

From what you have said about your progress in Adventure Island I would guess that you are less than a quarter of the way through it.  But you are already beginning to get a feel for the way the different parts are related and lead to the finale act.

Good luck
Elen

splat44

I've found the following scripting error in atlantis area:

ObjectOn: invalid object specified

in "globalScript.asc", line 593
from "room146.asc", line 50

The bug is happening when storing artifact related to Atlantean and trying using artifact scan in room where the blue phone booth is.

Additionaly, when using artifact scan on gap, the gap is being covered but cannot seems to cross it.

elentgirl

BUG ALERT
Quote from: splat44 on Mon 10/06/2013 17:29:07
I've found the following scripting error in atlantis area:

ObjectOn: invalid object specified

in "globalScript.asc", line 593
from "room146.asc", line 50

The bug is happening when storing artifact related to Atlantean and trying using artifact scan in room where the blue phone booth is.

There is a risk that your game could crash with an error message if you try to use the scan probe in any of the rooms in the temple in Atlantis except for the end room.  I can create a patch to cure this but my tests suggest that the patched game may not load or run previously saved games.  The problem can be avoided by not using the scan probe in any of the rooms except for the end room (you will know it when you get there).  There is no need to use the scan probe in any other of the temple rooms. It is safe to use the scan probe in the end room. I apologise for this problem.

Uziel

After redownloading this wonderful game (v1.3), I've been plugging away through the game and have hit another glitch. I just finished all the puzzles through the portal (kings of nasgard, singing table, etc) and returned to the Temple of Atlantis to retry the weights puzzle. The actual scales/buckets were gone, and whilst the hotspots for them were still active, as soon as I put a weight in a bucket, the game locked up. Help?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk