Tune Contest (5/28/2013-6/9/2013): Military

Started by Viking, Wed 29/05/2013 02:34:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Yesterday was Memorial Day (observed) here in the US, a day to remember soldiers fallen in battle.  So, for this tune contest, I want you to write something that has to do with the military.  Some ideas:

• a military march for a brass band
  • a heroic fanfare to lead a legion of knights into battle
  • a prog rock ballad (or whatever you young whippersnappers call them these days) decrying the atrocities of war
  • a thoughtful setting of a poem from Wilfred Owen or some other wartime poet
  • a chiptune describing the battle with the incoming alien fleet

The most important requirement is that the music (or words) should clearly convey the fact that they have to do with the military.  For example, a traditional military march (or here's another one that's not nearly so American) has lots of bass drum, snare and cymbal crashes, the melody usually has lots of dotted rhythms, and there is usually a simple "oompah" style accompaniment, in 2/2 or 4/4 time (since people have two feet).  A fanfare often has one or more horns or trumpets playing broken arpeggios.  The words to a song should clearly be about the military, battle, etc.  As far as settings of wartime poetry, anyone who has not heard Britten's War Requiem in a live concert should correct that immediately.  Basically, I should be able to tell that your music has to do with the military or battle without looking at the title or reading an explanation.

The only other requirement is that the music should be at least one minute long.  I'll pick a winner on Monday, June 10.

Happy composing!

Adam H

Cool, I've been meaning to write a militaristic piece for my game so this comes at the perfect time. :)

Viking

Only three more days, folks!  Get out your drums and fifes and let's hear some great music!

Adam H

Alrighty, I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped, but at least I'm in before deadline. :)

https://soundcloud.com/adamh034/battlemarch

Viking

Sorry, folks, time got away from me.  Anyway, with a worthy entry (and the only one, unfortunately), AdamH has clinched the title this time!  Congratulations, sir!  I shall eagerly await your next competition.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk