Fortnightly Writing Competition - Rashomon Style (RESULTS)

Started by Sinitrena, Fri 09/08/2013 18:33:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Rashomon Style

Maybe you are familiar with the movie Rashomon by Akira Kurosawa, and if not, that's not a problem. Knowledge of this movie is no requirement to enter here. The point of this film is that several protagonists provide alternate versions of the same incident and you only get the whole picture in the end. This basic idea was used in a lot of different stories and movies. For some examples go here.

I want you to write a story like that. Tell us about an event in at least 2 versions. This can be two first person narrators, or a first person narrator and a third person omnipotent narrator, or it could be one narrator once telling the story to a child then to an adult, or the narrator is a child when he tells the story the first time and an adult the second time. Or anything else you could think of. As long as you tell us about the same incident (at least) twice, it's fine. It's not necessary that there is a true version.
You can connect these parts with a framing story, but that is not absolutely necessary either. You can simply put them as two chapters, if you prefer it like that.

The deadline for this round is the 23. August.

Enjoy writing and good luck!

Stupot

Great theme.  I really liked the movie Vantage Point which does this, revealing more information about the event from a different perspective.

Also, there's a great Episode of the X-files (Bad Blood) where Mulder and Scully each tell their versions of an event, and there are some hilarious discrepancies between the two stories (for example, Scully remembers one character (a sheriff or deputy iirc) as being a handsome strapping chap, while Mulder remembers him as having buck-teeth).

I've got some free time now so I'll be giving this one a go :-)

Adeel

Great Theme, Sinitrena. Why is this competition so lonely? I wish I could participate but I don't think I'll manage it. I'm so sorry for missing this :(.

Chef!, Ponch, Armageddon, kconan, Baron, Ghost and other regular participants: Where are you? Come on people; write some stories, win some prizes.

A big thumbs up to Stupot+ for entering at the very first moment. :)

Btw, here's the Ponch signal (once again - credits to Baron). Maybe this will lure him  :=:

Baron

Yeah, I'm on board.  It's an interesting challenge in a short story context.  Just to be clear, as long as the event is described twice from different perspectives, it doesn't necessarily have to be two distinct tellings, right?  I was toying with the idea of two narrators concurrently telling two versions of the same event -would that be allowed?

Also, for other comps (i.e. MAGS) we can team up.  Would that be allowed?  Not that I'm directly considering it at the moment, but I think it'd be fun and would work well for this theme.

Sinitrena

Thanks for calling out to our regular participants, Adeel. It's still early in the comp, I'm sure they'll show up.  :wink:

Quote from: Baron on Sun 11/08/2013 19:17:39
Just to be clear, as long as the event is described twice from different perspectives, it doesn't necessarily have to be two distinct tellings, right?  I was toying with the idea of two narrators concurrently telling two versions of the same event -would that be allowed?

That's not what I had in mind, but it's certainly not against the rules I set, so yes, that's allowed. And it's always good to think beyond the original rules. (nod)

Quote from: Baron on Sun 11/08/2013 19:17:39
Also, for other comps (i.e. MAGS) we can team up.  Would that be allowed?

Sure. I think that's a great idea, especially for this theme.

WHAM

Late entrant, but I just got an inspiration and will do my best to write something short over the next couple of days.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

kconan

I'm working on something on-and-off which should be done in a day or two.

WHAM

Thee segments, thee sources, three different takes. I hope you enjoy.

[CONFIDENTIAL] - [Property of: ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ police department ââ€"ˆ.ââ€"ˆ]
Date: 07.23.2013

First-hand account of the ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ mall explosion, which killed ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ individuals and fatally injured ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ individuals on ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆPM ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ.ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ.ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ.

-----

Subject ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ. Age: ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ. SSID: ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ-ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ
Interviewing officer: ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ

-----

Q: Can you please state your name for the record
A: ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ

Q: Can you tell us what you were doing at the time of the explosion?
A: I was  talking to the clerk staffing the deli meats section. I had almost finished shopping and was about to leave, when I heard shouting.

Q: Could you see who was shouting?
A: No. It was a man, a low gravelly voice.

Q: What was he saying?
A: I don't remember all of it. It was something about it ‘all being lies' and how we were all blind to not see it. He said he would make us see.

Q: I see. What did you do then?
A: I heard someone saying they would call the police. That's when it happened.

Q: Can you describe in any detail what followed?
A: No. There was a loud noise, a flash of white light, then orange, then red. I remember the pain, shards of glass and the feeling that I was flying. Then I think I blacked out for a moment.

Q: You came to your senses later?
A: Yes, I woke up to the sounds of sirens. There was shouting and crying. I was lying in the broken glass near the back of the store. It was very dark, save for the faint red glow of the flames. I remember being wet and cold, despite the fires.

Q: How long did it take for rescuers to arrive?
A: I don't know, I didn't have my watch with me. It felt like an eternity, and all I could do was sit there, listening to that man.

Q: Man?
A: I think it was him that set off the bomb. He said so.

Q: He did?
A: Yes. He said he did it so that we could see the truth. He said there were more like him, people who wanted to speak true and be free of lies, and that the police would try to cover everything up.

Q: I see. I'm sure that will not happen. Did he say anything else?
A: He said others would take over for him now that he was done. I don't think he was too injured, but he seemed to be sure he was going to die. Did he make it?

Q: can you describe him?
A: A tall man, skinny. Thick beard and glasses, I think. I'm pretty sure he was pale. Was he rescued?

Q: I can't be sure based on that description. I'll see if I can find out. Did you get his name?
A: No, he never said his name. He got awfully quiet later, but I'm sure he was breathing. I could smell his breath.

Q: What happened then?
A: We just sat there. I couldn't move with both my legs broken. It's funny, really, the pain doesn't kick in until after, when you're out of there. I remember the firemen and the paramedics, the gave me painkillers and took me out of there.

Q: Thank you, you've been very helpful.
A: No, thank you. It helps to talk. Can I go now?

[Interview ends]

-

1 month later

-----

Six unmarked vans drive at high speed, entering the quiet suburb just before dawn. The six vehicles part ways at predetermined waypoints and approach their targets. The six vehicles park next to six houses, each unloading a team of special forces soldiers and federal agents, all armed with bulletproof vests, gas masks, silenced submachine guns and laser sights.

“Okay, listen up!”

The men's breaths form a thin fog before their eyes as they encircle their squad leaders behind the cover of their armored vehicles.

“One month ago an international terrorist cell attempted an act of bioterrorism in this very town. Intel boys have worked hard and we now have six houses to strike, and a total of fourteen persons to either detain or terminate. All persons within these houses are deemed armed and extremely dangerous, so lethal force is authorized on all persons resisting arrest.”

The men click their weapons' safeties off and nod silently. A dog barks somewhere in the distance, the sound abruptly cutting short. A shiver runs down the squad leader's spine.

“I want CS gas in through the windows, entry through the front door. Fast and efficient. We have two minutes to secure the house, two more the extract. Clear?”

A whispered acknowledgement.

“These are evil people we're going after, suicide bombers and madmen. Keep that in mind. Let's do this.”

The men move, like living shadows in the night. The thin morning fog is sliced by the bright red beams of laser sights. The following minutes are filled with breaking glass, hissing gas, crying children, surprised gasps and muffled thuds of silenced firearms. Three minutes and sixteen seconds later the van's engines start again and the vehicle drives off unceremoniously. Flames lick the air, flickering in the shattered windows, reaching after the thick black smoke drifting up into the sky.

-

ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ Times - Special edition
Sunday / 08.25.2013

Serial arsonist apprehended!

A suspected serial arsonist was apprehended last night, by local police forces patrolling the western suburbs. The suspect, an unnamed male, has apparently used a motorcycle to quickly move from site to site, setting off homemade firebombs near people's homes. Six homes were destroyed and so far the police have reported no survivors in any of the sites. According to police the arsonist had prepared to destroy up to 20 homes, arming himself with a large stash of propellant and other materials in his home. Read more on page 4.

NATIONAL NEWS

A group of has-been Hollywood celebrities making a group-comeback  this year? It's more likely than you think, as Michael Bay has revealed his latest movie epic: Lord of the Flies, will be starred by a cast of over forty ex-hollywood child stars grown adult.

The rumor mill is running and names are being tossed, but so far the cast of the upcoming blockbuster is a well kept secret. Cont pg 2.
LOCAL NEWS

ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ  resident gather to pay their respects at the site ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ  mall, destroyed in the tragic gas explosion only a month earlier. At the site, having been demolished for safety reasons and currently undergoing a large-scale paving project to prepare the area as a parking lot for the new shopping mall scheduled to begin construction just two months from now, workers held a solemn silence to honour those who lost their lives in this tragic accident. Cont. pg 21.

SPORTS

ââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆââ€"ˆ  local high-school basketball team a hotspot for state-wide talent? Coach says “Hell yes” and intends to prove it.

For a full high-school basketball team roster, including player bio's, for the upcoming season, see page 10 and onwards.

ECONOMY

Bradford & Sons security systems reports massive increase in home-security system sales over the last four weeks. News of nationwide terrorist threats against suburban America have shocked the residents of even the smallest suburbs and Stephen Bradford of Bradford & Sons Security says this has led to his business booming. Read expert's opinions on home security on pages 6 through 8.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Atelier

Neat idea to use different media WHAM. I've started a little thing which is a bit silly, but still.

kconan

The hidden cigar lounge smelled of sandalwood, cedar, and tobacco.  It was owned by Sal Tamasso, one of the top underbosses of the infamous Tamasso family.  The previous owner was hesitant to sell, especially for such a low price, but being dangled by helicopter over an alligator farm has a way of changing one's mind.  Currently in the cigar lounge were four very different people, all of whom were brought together by one unfortunate incident.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:00 PM
Nicola Tomasso
I could be doing something productive instead of dealing with these two wretches while also being annoyed by my dribbling moron of a henchman.  Pacing back and forth in the small, humid room I eyeballed Jason Bratsky and the old man that only goes by the name “Howard”.  My own personal knuckledragger, Leo “Meaty Fist” Padrone, was obviously off in neverland again.  I yelled “Hey, focus on the task Leo!”
Leo Padrone
Those ships have to be difficult to stuff inside the bottle.  Why not just make the little model ship and not bother with a bottle?  That checkout girl yesterday at the Food Barn was smoking hot; I wonder if she likes big guys like me.  Why do people wear Crocs?  They are so unfashionable and not classy like a nicely cobbled Italian shoe.  Oh no, the boss is looking at me like I did something wrong and just yelled at me to “focus”.  Act serious Leo, as an unhappy boss equals an unhappy Leo.  Hopefully he won't force me to kill the old guy… The dude has old school balls.  The younger one is very annoying and instead of punching me like a man, he bit me when I dragged him from his house to this meeting.  You know, I wouldn't mind offing him just for laughs.   
Jason Bratsky
Oh my God!  I guess I expected this to happen.  The big guy seriously wants to hurt me after I bit him.  God or whoever is up there, please let me get out of here.  I didn't see anything, and I told the cops only minor details.  Why are they doing this?  Oh great, the big guy's boss just yelled at him.  Dummies like him are all about misplaced aggression, so he is likely to take it out on me.
Howard
The last time I was in this place was back in the 1960s, and in those days it was a jazz club without any secret cigar rooms.  This new place has a very different scent and feel.  I figure these clowns will try to interrogate me, though I don't know why since I didn't tell the cops anything and it's not like I saw what happened.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:03 PM
Nicola Tomasso
I had pored over the police report given to me by my inside man.  This Bratsky character talked and he probably thinks that matters to me.  Well it does in a way since I don't like snitches, but due to the fact that he wouldn't be snitching out my crew there is a chance that I won't kill him.  The old black guy hasn't said a thing to anybody.  His demeanor suggests that he values pride over his own life.  I respect him over the sniveling punk, but that attitude can get a man killed.  I asked, ”Mr. Bratsky, I don't care that you talked to the cops.  In fact, I want you to talk about that night.  I give you my word as man right now that if you tell me the whole truth, then I won't kill you.  This is about a little kid being killed by some coward, and I want to know who.”
Leo Padrone
Bumper stickers are lame.  Why ruin a good ride by bragging about your bratty kids or asking people to honk if they love something?  I can't believe I burped in front of that checkout girl, maybe she didn't hear it.  Uh oh, the boss is talking so I better pretend to be interested and randomly nod my head while looking menacing.
Jason Bratsky
This Nicola guy keeps looking back and forth between me and the old blind guy, as if he is silently debating something.  I wonder what he is thinking.  It's not like I saw everything anyway, just glimpse of what happened.  Oh man, he wants me to tell him the truth and I'm free to go.  No problemo!  Wow that Leo goon looks constipated.
Howard
I figure they will leave my family alone, regardless of what happens.  These Italians are honorable like that.  I'm going to keep quiet until these guys turn their attentions my way.  The Bossman seems interested in this Jason cat for now.  I wonder if he noticed that Bossman's promise didn't mention the big guy wearing the cheap cologne not killing him.  I doubt these fools would mind if I grab a cigar while they are interrogating.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:06 PM
Nicola Tomasso
Wow, the balls on this old guy!  He felt around for a bit and then actually grabbed one of my brother's Cuban stogies!  I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of a reaction.  I leaned in close and listened to Bratsky, and I am finding his account overly vague.
Leo Padrone
I wonder if the new saline implants feel more natural.
Jason Bratsky
“I'm telling you Mr. Tomasso…Nicola sir…Uhhh…I was about to head into the little bank deal that housed the ATM, and I saw a guy wearing a mask pull a gun, and shoot your nephew in the back of the head.  He then wiped off the gun and threw it near your nephew.  And then I ran away.  That's all I saw man, I swear.”  I really wish he wouldn't lean in so close to me.
Howard
Now this is a cigar!  It smells like a Montecristo Edmundo Robusto that has been housed in a cedar humidor.  I'll stick it in my shirt pocket for now.  Man…This cat is either hard of hearing, lying, or both.  He is leaving out what the killer said before he shot the kid.  And the guy is obviously afraid of being too specific; if word gets out that he talked the killer or killers may come after him.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:08 PM
Nicola Tomasso
”I want to know more detail Mr. Bratsky.  I at least expect the type of gun, the style of dress that the killer wore, and the length of time between when the gun was raised and fired.  And don't give me any nonsense about the darkness or fog, as I've tested the visibility myself and it's not that bad.”
Leo Padrone
No wiseguy I know of does a hit wearing a dress.  What is the boss talking about?
Jason Bratsky
Now who is more dangerous: The Tomasso gang or the killers?  Well, it would be the Tomassos at the moment.  Good thing I saved the “evidence” in the event this happened…Time to put them off the scent and kill two birds with one stone.
Howard
This Nicola cat is going to kill that guy regardless of what he says.  If the killers catch wind that he ratted them out, then Nicola will lose the element of surprise.  Also, he wouldn't have brought muscle just for interrogations.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:10 PM
Nicola Tomasso
Why is he lying to me?  And what is this matchbook?
Leo Padrone
I should get that large auger drill attachment like Vinny Falcona has, rather than wrangling around with a stupid plunger.  Wa-huh!  A matchbook?  What kind of wiseguy leaves a matchbook?
Jason Bratsky
”It WAS dark, but ok yes I did see that he had a .45 handgun and the shooter, who was very tall, immediately nailed the kid in the head without hesitation.  After I ran away, I ran back to the scene of the murder and found this matchbook.  I handed him the matchbook and this will hopefully take care of that “marriage mettling” Rick the Prick.
Howard
Oh boy!  Not only is this kid obviously lying, but he comes up with a matchbook?  This is the oldest movie cliché in the books, movies, and everywhere else fictional detective-work goes on.  He's dead.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:12 PM
Nicola Tomasso
I looked at the “Rick's Steakhouse” matchbook and knew immediately what this guy was trying to do.  It's a good thing I do exhaustive homework on everyone I deal with.  ”So you think the owner of Rick's Steakhouse, a former CBA basketball player, killed my nephew?”  I see the punk nodding and respond, “Now, I'm going to stop you before you waste everyone's time by trying to weakly establish some kind of motive.  He is a sleazy guy known for doing some bad things; yes I know that.  But he isn't a cold blooded killer.  Now he is a cold blooded wife banger - yours specifically.  Nice try, but I know what you are up to with this matchbook.”  I looked over at Leo and said, ”He is useless, and his lies insult the memory of Sal's boy.”
Leo Padrone
After listening to the boss, I made my way over to the lying, biter.  This should be fun.   Still got to get a Skype account...Its just too expensive to regularly call Calabria these days.  Too bad the family doesn't have an IT guy.
Jason Bratsky
I nodded in response to the question, gulped, and immediately realized this guido was a lot smarter than I had initially thought.  If I'm lucky, they won't torture me.
Howard
I don't like the guy myself, but Nicola would be making a mistake by killing him within earshot of me.  I can hear the big henchman shuffling across the room.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:13 PM
Nicola Tomasso
I moved a few steps to get a good look at Howard while Leo worked.  He is an old bum in the wrong place and at the wrong time.  The guy was half-asleep in the bushes nearby when the murder took place.  Leo seems to be enjoying himself.
Leo Padrone
I never tire of strangling people I don't like.  Damn Roxy and her grocery lists; guess it will be too late for real shopping after this but I can least get a few things from the Speedy-Mart. 
Jason Bratsky
Arrgggghh!  That hurts!  I pleaded by attempting to say, ”Stop, Nicola, I'm sorry…Whatever you want, stop!”  And then I made a final gurgling sound, and could see my body from above as I felt myself slowly rising into the air.
Howard
I couldn't understand a word he was saying.  What a horrible way to go…Ok, I can feel Nicola the bossman is nearby.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:14 PM
Nicola Tomasso
I took the Montecristo from the old bum's pocket, cut the cap off, and handed it back to him.  He put it in his mouth, and I gave him a light.  ”As you can see - sorry I mean hear rather - I don't appreciate lies.  Please tell me the truth Mr. Howard.” 
Leo Padrone
That bastard got some drool and a little blood on my Brioni sportcoat.  I guess I better listen closely to what the boss is saying to the old guy.
Howard
He actually wants me to have a cigar.  Man that tastes and smells good, and maybe it is my imagination but I can already feel a light buzz.  I can hear someone walking towards the room.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:15 PM
Sal Tomasso
I walked in and asked, “Did you find out anything about my boy?”, and after seeing their heads shake from side-to-side, I lambasted my brother with, “Ok so why are you leaving DNA in my cigar club?!  And do you know what a dead body will do to the cigars?  Tell your stooge to haul this guy out of here.”  I can't believe I trusted Nicola to handle this…
Nicola Tomasso
I guess Sal heard the noise.  I shook my head in answer to his question, and took my verbal lumps from him.  Now I'll have to be more visibly emotional when referring to my nephew with him poking his nose into the interrogation, or at least show more of a vested interest than simply wanting to get this chore over with.
Leo Padrone
Whoa!  I thought the boss's boss had left after closing up the place. C'mon Sal, I'm no stooge.  That was hurtful.
Howard
This Sal character coming into the room changes things a bit.  I don't like hearing someone, even a bad cat like Jason, get strangled.  If I make it through this ordeal, that sound is going to haunt me.  I faced my head in the direction of Nicola and recounted, “I woke up from a stupor to hear the sound of a leather jacket brushing up against a large body, and what sounded like an arm raise.”  No one in here is aware that I know the kid used to call him Nico.  Things should get interesting.  I puffed on the cigar.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:16 PM
Sal Tomasso
Only my son called Nicola that.  What the hell?!  I need my piece.
Nicola Tomasso
What the hell?!  I didn't kill the little twerp!   I immediately turned towards Sal who had just started reaching into his jacket.
Leo Padrone
I backed up against the back wall to let the family sort this out.  If push comes to shove, I have to go with Sal as he is the ranking boss.  That old guy doesn't rattle, he just started puffing away like he's at the poker table with old friends.
Howard
My tale concluded with, ”And then I heard “Your Uncle Nico says goodbye” followed by a loud bang.”  Of course, that's not what I really heard.  But how can you not trust a wizened, old blind guy?

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:17 PM
Sal Tomasso
I put the Glock against the old man's temple and explained, ”Your life depends on the truth, and I need to know how you know that my son called Nicola that.”  He couldn't have heard that anywhere else.
Nicola Tomasso
I put my right hand inside my front coat pocket and held on to the small .38 revolver, watched Sal, and exclaimed, ”The old man is lying!”
Leo Padrone
I positioned myself just far enough away to stop Nicola in case he does anything crazy.  I'm sure that hand is holding something in his pocket, but Nicola is a boss and I can't grab him.
Howard
I exhaled smoke.  I'm cool…Not even sweating despite the room being warm.  Pull the trigger junior, or shoot the other one.  ”First time I've heard the name.”

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:18 PM
Sal Tomasso
I moved my gun over to Nicola, heard gunshots, and fired my gun three times before hitting the floor.   Suddenly my worries faded away.
Nicola Tomasso
Sal aimed his Glock .45 at me, so I fired and shot back.  Bah!  I didn't even kill his kid and he gutshot me, and because of this lying old man I'm going to die of blood loss. 
Leo Padrone
Nicola and Sal started shooting at each other!  And now they are both down.  Does the old guy have a grin on his face?  ”Old man, did he really say Uncle Nico?”
Howard
Ha ha ha.  The art of manipulation beats marksmanship once again.  I looked at the big henchman and said, ”Are you going to kill me now?“  I need to determine exactly where he is in the room.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:19 PM
Nicola Tomasso
Bleeding hurts…Why would the old man lie?  Killing that Bratsky punk near him was a mistake.  I can hear Leo talking with that lying old man.
Leo Padrone
Nicola and Sal started shooting at each other!  They are both down, and Sal clipped me in the thigh!  Does the old guy have a grin on his face?  ”Old man, did the killer really say Uncle Nico?!”
Howard
Ha.  The art of manipulation always beats marksmanship.  I looked at the big henchman and said, ”Are you going to kill me now?“  I've already estimated his height, so now I need to determine exactly where he is in the room.

Sal's Stogie Saloon â€" Saturday, December 1st at 9:20 PM
Nicola Tomasso
Pain…I moaned.
Leo Padrone
Nicola seems to still be alive.  I looked at Old Man Howard and declared, ”Don't play games-“ and was cut off by thumbs in my eyes!
Howard
Found him.  You don't get this old by not being a survivor.

kconan

WHAM

Quote from: kconan on Wed 21/08/2013 03:51:18
  Good to see WHAM back in the writing comp  8-)

I sneak in every now and then. ;)
Nice work on the story Kconan, by the way! My only gripe is that I'm still not sure when the story takes place. It might be taking place in the modern days of 2013, but I like to imagine the characters in an 80's setting.

kconan

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 21/08/2013 07:58:45
...not sure when the story takes place. It might be taking place in the modern days of 2013, but I like to imagine the characters in an 80's setting.

I purposefully kept it vague.  The old man mentions the 1960s as "back in those days" and the Italian mafia is still reasonably strong in the story, so that puts it late 80s to late 90s range.

Just noticed some italic formatting errors in my story, and corrected it.

Sinitrena

Thank you for two creative interpretations of the given topic. :-D
There are still a few days left, so keep them coming, guys. (nod)

Ponch

Any chance we can get a one or two day extension on this? My story is done, but putting all the graphics together is taking longer than I thought it would. :embarrassed:

Atelier

Sinitrena

All right, not a problem. I'm always willing to extend deadlines if this means more great stories. You have time untill monday, 26. August.

Stupot

That's good to hear. thanks. I've got one POV down but didnt think I was gonna have time to do the other :-)

Baron

Nice!  I just got my inspiration, but was wondering if I'd have the time to flesh it out.  I'll have something up by Monday.

Ponch

Excellent! Thanks to my ineptitude, my desperate plea inadvertantly drew in more participants! I should get the "Miss Congeniality" trophy for sure! :cheesy:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk