Tune Contest (August 11th - August 23rd) - One Minute Loop

Started by Pinback, Sun 11/08/2013 05:26:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinback

Create a short piece of music (or even ambient sound) no more than a minute long. The piece must be able to be looped as seamlessly as possible, and of course the challenge will be to compose something that won't grate on the nerves or become boring after one has listened to it for five minutes. Less is probably more when it comes to melodies for this type of tune -- but please feel free to compose whatever makes it fun for you -- naturally.

Rules:

*Piece must be no more than 1 minute long. Shorter is fine
*Entries must play for at least five minutes, with your piece looped however many times needed to bring it to that length
*Any instrument(s) or styles of music are welcome. This of course includes experimental and/or soundscape compositions
*Feel free to post multiple tracks here, but you must chose only one for your entry

Questions are welcome. You have two weeks.

The Fool

Hmmm, can I create more than one piece?

I have this one:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/f5sihxzazvbl4w9/cemet

But I'd also like to attempt an irish jig :)
:)

dactylopus

Nice concept!

I'm looking forward to submitting a track.

Pinback

@RaGG

Really good track, it does at least two of the things these short loops should go I think; retain interest/mood but also make you want to keep listening, even after hearing the loop multiple times.

I'm going to have to make a ruling of only one entry person, but that said please feel free to post multiple tracks here. Just specify which one is your actual entry - I trust you all to put your best foot forward. :)

The Fool

Awesome, that's what I was going for I think :D

kaput

Incidentally, I've been experimenting with creating ambient sounds lately... Made something today, saw this thread and thought I'd contribute something:

Title of the track says it all really. I'm thinking it would go well with a post-apocalyptic setting. Best listened to with headphones imo. Probably not everyone's cup of java ;)

E: It's a 1 minute track looped.

E2: It looks like there might be something wrong with my soundcloud - the link isn't working anymore for some reason. Working on it.

New link: http://snd.sc/18oH6G7

selmiak

Pinback

Great tracks, Sunny Penguin and Diamond16! Looks like I'm gonna have a tough job judging these.

Keep 'em coming folks. :D

Pinback

Sweet loop janleht! Submissions are closing soon so if you have something WIP better finish it up now.

dactylopus

I managed to get a track done.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  I had to loop it 6 times to get over the 5 minute mark, as the loop itself is just under a minute.

Night Tune

Everyone's done a really good job this time, great work all around.  There's not a track I don't like.  :)

Pinback

Great stuff dactylopus!

Competition is closed. Excellent turnout and entries people -- this will be a tough one to judge.

Will announce the winner within 24 hours.

dactylopus

Thanks!

My original idea was to do some 'Boss Fight' type music, but I couldn't quite get it down the way I wanted.

Looking forward to the results.  You've got your work cut out for you with this one, Pinback.

Pinback

Wow, I was really overwhelmed by the quality and variety of all your entries into this comp.

dactylopus' plodding and oppressive chord progression reminiscent of horror games from a bygone era. janleht's riveting bassline and atonality. Diamond16's playfully wicked track. Sunny Penguin's soundscape awash with half remembered could-have-beens... Gah, I could go on all day about these awesome entries (not that I think I'm qualified to) but a winner must be chosen.

*glitchcore drum roll*

Congratulations RaGG!

I couldn't get enough of your hauntingly beautiful piece, really an exquisite track I could listen to looped ad-infinitum. I believe it is now up to you to begin the next music comp.
Great showing peeps!

kaput

Congrats, RaGG :grin:

And kudos to Diamond16 - really enjoyed your track 8-).

dactylopus

Congratulations, RaGG!  I loved your track, and knew the competition would be difficult from the get go.

Nice job.  I'm looking forward to the next contest.

Adeel

RaGG, the more I listen to your tune, the more I continue to fall in love with it! Congratulations for winning. :)

The Fool

Wow.
I honestly didn't expect to win, so I really don't know what to write :D
Thank you for enjoying my tune, great competition idea and awesome entries! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk