A Quiz!

Started by Calin Leafshade, Wed 09/10/2013 13:18:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

I think 'a Wallace creation going up' is referring to the orange spaceship from A Grand Day Out.

CaptainD

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Tue 15/10/2013 20:55:13
Oh hey, you got it.

Well done. Yes
Spoiler
Ganymede is the cup bearer of olympus!
[close]

Ok second round:

You're going to need a film buff for this one.

In which Affair might Deborah Kerr be envious of a fruit coming down, a Wallace creation going up, and Tom Hanks taking the lift?

Deboarh Kerr was in
Spoiler
An Affair to Remember
[close]
- Tom Hanks was in a similar film - not a remake but has the same end scene - in
Spoiler
Sleepless in Seattle
[close]
, my mother-in-law's all-time favourite film!!

I think Atelier is right with his guess.

But as for the connection... I'm struggling.

Calin Leafshade

Atelier is not correct. Wrong Wallace I'm afraid.

CaptainD

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Tue 15/10/2013 21:46:49
Atelier is not correct. Wrong Wallace I'm afraid.

OH! 
Spoiler
Barnes Wallace - so bouncing bomb?
[close]

CaptainD

Also... "envious of a fruit coming down" -
Spoiler
Apple?  As in Isaac Newton?
[close]

Atelier

Sorry if I lost you guys a point! (?) Was thrown by the film buff thing.

Calin Leafshade

Both wrong, CaptainD.

All three are film/book references.

Baron

Tom Hanks in an elevator got me thinking about how prominent the Empire State Building is in an Affair to Remember.  Is this some sort of skyscraper structure puzzle?  Does "Wallace going up" or "fruit coming down" ring anyone's bell in terms of famous buildings or landmarks?  Fruit coming down reminds me a bit of the ball drop at Time's Square, but that's a bit of a stretch.  Anybody?

EDIT:

Spoiler

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Tue 15/10/2013 20:55:13
In which Affair might Deborah Kerr be envious of a fruit coming down, a Wallace creation going up, and Tom Hanks taking the lift?

A bit of Wikipedia surfing to fill in the blanks in cultural blindspots reveals:

An Affair to Remember: guy waits for girl who never shows up on the observation deck of the Empire State Building

James and the Giant Peach: peach lands directly on top of Empire State Building

Edgar Wallace: wrote the screenplay for King Kong, who climbs the Empire State Building

Sleepless in Seattle: Tom Hanks is actually in a lift in the Empire State Building!

So my answer is.... the Empire State Building? :-\

[close]

Calin Leafshade

All correct but you didnt answer the question.

Why would Deborah Kerr be envious?

EDIT: Also you lose points for blatant wikipedia use! You're supposed to pool your cultural knowledge damnit!

Renal Shutdown

Judging from the wiki info above, I'd suspect that she's jealous because
Spoiler
she didn't show up at the Empire State Building (the top of it, even), whilst the others did.  That or some green reference.
[close]
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

Eric

Cary Grant will take her up the wheelchair-accessible way. Don't be sad, Deborah!

Andail

This quiz is a bit too hard for me. I think I would stand a better chance if I were 50+ and British.

Really fun concept, though! Wish it was made slightly easier, less anglocentric and a bit more contemporary.

Calin Leafshade

Are they particularly anglocentric?

So far we've had American movies, American buildings, American state capitols, Greek mythology, an Irish play and Shakespeare

Renal Shutdown

There was also the Dover, which was then transposed to the US.  That said, I'm supposedly British and it didn't help me at all on that, I'd have guessed a Cinque port would've been French.  Sleepless in Seattle's is fairly contemporary, and I didn't know that one, either.  I like how people are pooling knowledge together to come up with an answer, so I approve of the difficulty level so far.
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

CaptainD

So Calin - was the last one answered correctly?

If so, we will attempt to pool our cultural knowledge for the next one! :-D

Calin Leafshade

Yes that was correct.

I will whip up another one shortly.

Andail

Ok yeah I guess it was only Deborah Kerr and the Cinque ports that I hadn't heard of, both distinctly British.

Baron

Zucchini!  I know it reads like this round is over, but I'm still guessing zucchini.

Renal Shutdown

I can't help but hope you're just delayed in adding the next round and not spending ages trying to dumb this down for us, only to have us solve it in minutes.

Stupot

Here's one I've made up (probably quite easy, but sod it).
Which car is a Korean river on its own, a US state with a common name and a green bean with a sharp edge?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk