Rebel Spy - A Prelude to Hope

Started by Darth Mandarb, Wed 19/03/2003 05:32:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Mandarb

I remember playing Sierra games back in the early 90's and always wanted to see a Star Wars game in that style.  So that's what I've decided to do.  So, I'm announcing:

Star Wars: Rebel Spy - A Prelude to Hope
Basic Plot:
You're a Rebel Spy (hence the title) and you've got a mission.  The Empire is supposedly creating a super weapon and you're assigned the task of finding out what and where it is.  Your journey will take you from Dantooine to the Bespin system, from the planet Despayre to Yavin 4, all in search of the Empire's ultimate weapon.  You must find the plans and deliver them to the Rebellion.

This story takes place before Ep. IV A New Hope and will end, pretty much where aNH ends.  I'm planning on tying the plot points of aNH into the game (just from a completely different perspective) so that it will all tie together perfectly.  I'm pretty much throwing out anything but what's in the movie (no Expanded Universe stuff).  I'm sure this subject has been touched before, but I'm making it my own.  I've got 90% of the plot complete already.  I'm basically just focusing on graphics right now.  Then I'm going to focus on the scripting part (which will be my biggest challenge)

Here is a sample to whet your appetite and entice you to click the links below:

Some characters Let me know if you like how they look, your favorites, what could be improved, etc.
A few of the ships There are only two here, 'cause these take some time, but let me know what y'all think.
Backgrounds (environments) These are some backgrounds I'm planning on using.

I plan on using existing Star Wars music.  I haven't decided if I'll go with mp3 or Midi yet.  I'm leaning towards mp3 just 'cause I think it'll sound better, but we'll see.  I'm studying the scripting part of AGS (as the only real programming I do is Cold Fusion) because I really want to make this something cool.

I just posted in another area that I wouldn't post too soon about a project I'm working on, but I thought I'd do it anyway.  I really want to see what y'all think of this beginning.

I appreciate all your input!

Miez

Wow - that is some nice artwork! It is great to have such a well developed setting to base your game upon.

Barcik

Very interesting. I always was surprised that Lucasarts never decided to do a Star Wars adventure game. Anyway, I will sure be waiting for that!

Oh and by the way, George Lucas is behind your back!
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Eero

They decided, but they abandoned the project in about a month...

Czar

Looks great, cant wait for teh game...
too bad it hasnt teh LEC original sign :'(
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Darth Mandarb

Update: 03/20/03

I've created a walking Stormtrooper for use in the game.  I just wanted to see what you guys thought of it.  I'm pretty pleased with it.  There is one frame (the one where the leg in front is all the way back) where there is a little glitch in the hip area that I'm going to work on.

EDIT I corrected the leg problem (along w/ a glitch I found in the knee./EDIT

[color=000055]treadmill ...[/color]

[color=000055]In motion ...[/color]

I'll keep posting stuff in here as I develop it.

dm

Dorcan

Wow ! Great !!! :)
The walk-cycle animation's very good! You did manage to make a realstic one.

I think the main character is, well, somewhat banal. It's not that he's badly drawn, not at all, I really like the sprites, but I think his head is a bit small, and not very expressive. He needs something... original.
Otherwise, about his colors, I prefere the sprite #1.
Oh and his clothes are cool!

Hey, can't wait to play a starwars adventure ! ;D

Darth Mandarb

Update (again)

Dorcan - Thanks for the advice!  I was thinking the same thing about his expression.  I'll get to work on that!

I've added two more ships (I tend to work fast when I can't sleep!)

A snowspeeder:

A TIE Interceptor

And one more character ...

The Emporer:

|Alky|

Yay!
A Star Wars game...
I always wanted one of those!  ::)
The backgrounds are pretty cool, maybe a little cartoonish.
But this idea can work well, s'pecially if the storytelling cutscenes are as good as the ones in 'Tie Fighter'
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

We're going back to the tick tock to get the boo-boo. Send for backup. - Baby's Day Out

Jimi

I'm SOOOO going to download this one! You could use that notebook thing in the begginers forum! Will it be keyboard controlled? I like your artwork!

--Jimi-- ;)

Joseph DiPerla

OH MY GOD. Please finish this game (eventually). I love Star Wars, and I am so upset that LEC never made an adventure game on it. I even read many expanded universe novels and stuff.

No chance that we'll see vader using his saber huh?

Joey
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Darth Mandarb

My favorite Star Wars character(s) were those that didn't have the force.  I always thought they were the underdogs, and thus more interesting to me.  It seems to me (since the prequels came out) that EVERY new thing to do with Star Wars makes the character a Jedi with a lightsabre.  So I decided that this game would feature no main characters as Jedi, but you never know ... perhaps Vader will show up.

All the 'big' characters you've seen so far are more than likely going to be only used in cutscenes.  The playable characters will more than likely be like the walking stormtrooper (pic above)  I haven't decided yet if I want the playable character to be that big.

We'll see ... it's still early in the dev. process.

I'll have more to show (hopefully) later today.

dm

JD

Looking mighty cool man! Keep up the good work.

Jimi

Lucas Arts made a game called "Yoda Stories", I'm sure that is an adventure game (  ;Dplayed it)

MrColossal

yoda stories isn't an adventure game it's more like... idle-should-be-playing-solitaire game

anyways, nice art, i suggest more movement in the stormtrooper's walk as in, make his arms bob

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Gonzo

Holy mackeral, this looks great! I really like the art style, the clean and crisp look comes off really well. The premise sounds very good...I'm sure the idea has been touched on before (there have been so many books and comics) but it would just complicate it, so you're right - best to only take the movies as your cue.

Looking forward to it.

LordHart

This looks freakin' awesome. Your characters are brilliant, and I really like the backgrounds that you've done. They really capture the feel of Star Wars. I'd hate to spoil this, but there is one story inconsistency already from what I've read.

The spies that gave the plans to Princess Leia were discovered by Vader and killed... :-\

Darth Mandarb

Ultimo - Thanks for the praise!

I thought (EU wise) that it was Kyle Katarn (the guy from the Jedi Knight game) who stole the plans.  That's what the Star Wars Encyclopedia says anyway.

But as far as the game goes, I'm just using what's in the movie, so worry not!  I've got it all figured out!!  I've thrown in some suprises, which I just can't give away here :)

dm

Joseph DiPerla

Hey, in the beginning of the game, will you have the Star Wars scrolling text? That would be awesome. Someone posted some code for that in the Technical forum, you might want to check it out. Just a suggestion.

Joey
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

LordHart

Yeah you have to do the text. I have done it for a game I'm making which isn't even related to Star Wars. It works quite well.

But, instead of the actual text written in AGS, create a single graphic for the title name and then a separate one for the entire text. It works incredibly well, and you have to have the Star Wars music on it as well and it really ****ing rocks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk