King Simulator 2013

Started by WHAM, Wed 06/11/2013 07:21:55

Previous topic - Next topic

NightHawk

We currently have no security with 10 guardsmen trying to protect thousands of villagers let alone the 5 guards protecting the government. We need lots of guards for security and to send out on missions and training takes time.

Adeel

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 06/12/2013 16:28:06
Let's not build a policestate because of one mean thief....

But we can't neglect the security. This thief was merely a warning that there will be more severe criminals. So, I believe that we should increase the number of knights/guards to ensure that we don't suffer losses too often.

Quote from: NightHawk on Sat 07/12/2013 02:18:03
We currently have no security with 10 guardsmen trying to protect thousands of villagers let alone the 5 guards protecting the government. We need lots of guards for security and to send out on missions and training takes time.

NightHawk is absolutely correct and I agree with him.

> Summon Lancelot and inquire the list of free knights/guards available for duty, also inquire about the new knights'/guards' training program.

Tibatonk

I agree that we should hire at least one more hero. Someone we can also send out on missions and stuff. Whereas Lancelot as our current captain of the guard/military advisor should probably stay close to home most of the time. Would it be sensible to summon both Sir Kevin and Robina, who are the only heroes currently offering their services, together with Lancelot or would that make them and other people waiting for audience unhappy?

Before we do any of that we should really try to get as much as possible out of our current turn with Dennis, though.

miguel

I must try to convince you guys of the importance of hiring a spy. We need a second pair of eyes around town to find out any plots or conspiracies against us before it happens.
I remember you guys that although the criminal was but a petty thief according to the investigation lead by the town guard, he could have sneaked into the treasury and take our short amount of gold!
Yes, more guards indeed. And trained by Lancelot.
But a spy could detect things before they happen and even bigger conspiracies against us.

>Hire Spy;
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Ghost

Quote from: miguel on Sat 07/12/2013 17:51:19
I must try to convince you guys of the importance of hiring a spy. We need a second pair of eyes around town to find out any plots or conspiracies against us before it happens.

>Hire Spy;
+1. We need basics.

Tibatonk

Do we really want the jester involved in a task such a hiring a spy? It seems we're not entirely sure we can trust the guy.

Maybe that's a topic we can bring up with Lancelot while we discuss increased security anyhow?

>Summon Lancelot. Tell him to have theft of trader's seals investigated. Ask his advice in increasing security and hiring/training more guards and knights. Also bring up the idea of hiring a spy.

But before that we should really (and I repeat myself here):

>Allow Dennis to commission new seals and ask him whether there's anything else about the trader's guild we need to know.

Radiant

I think hiring a spy is premature. We need to get some basic things like guards, police, and trade setup first.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Tibatonk on Sat 07/12/2013 20:43:46
>Allow Dennis to commission new seals and ask him whether there's anything else about the trader's guild we need to know.
+1

WHAM

"Commission the new seals from the craftsmen at once, Mr Dennis. Trade is the lifeblood of a good Kingdom, and the sooner we establish trade, the better."

Dennis seems highly pleased, and nods in approval. "Very well, My King." -he says.

"Before you leave, Mr Dennis, I would like to know more about how the trader's guild actually works. Would you explain the workings of the guild a little, and perhaps the purpose of the seals as well?"

Dennis nods, though not a single strand of hair is misplaced in the motion of his head.

"Well, my King, the trader's guild manages all of the traders, shops and caravans in the Kingdom. New trade routes, supply routes and the like are run by caravans, which we will prepare, stock and purchase protection for as each member sees fit. Of all the trading  that goes on in the shops, taverns and inns, as well as between the villages and towns and between our kingdom and other nations, a small tax is accumulated, which is then paid, fully, to the crown once each year.

Currently the TRADE TAX rate is set as "LOW".

To ensure fairness and legality in our dealings with other nations, however, the SACRED SEALS OF THE TRADERS are used. These seals are finely crafted by the best craftsmen of the realm, and each seal bears icons and symbols which are pressed upon the seals of trade contracts. This way, any member of the Trader's guild can confirm the seals as valid and untampered at any time, based on the dates, times, signatures and seals on each contract. The exact way this works is a trade secret, as I am sure you will understand, but the system has served us well so far. To lose the seals is a horrible blow, especially at this time, but I am sure we can replace them soon.

Not having the seals does not mean we cannot trade, however it does mean that we run the risk of being scammed and having our documents tampered later on.

Is this explanation satisfactory to my King?"
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Tibatonk

>Tell Dennis to make sure the new seals can be distinguished from the old seals. Preferably by including our own royal sigil, a dancing cow.

Baron

So we're really just chasing our tail here: no money due to limited trade, but we have to spend our [limited] money to buy the seals to keep getting meagre returns on trade.  No, what we need to do is to get to the root of the problem in the kingdom, and that's revenue.  We can't afford the kind of security necessary to stop from spinning our wheels, which keeps us poor and always one step behind the problem.  It's time to be proactive, friends.  We need to raise money.  As I see it, the options are:

1) raise taxes on tariffs and trade (currently set to LOW)
2) raise taxes on land and chattels (status unknown)
3) institute a poll tax, payable by every adult (regressive, but effective)
4) sell rights or offices (mill-rights, mining rights, hunting rights, knighthoods, etc.)

It's true, higher taxes tend to breed disaffection in the populace, but so do crummy services (i.e. security).  Further, if we were to discuss our reasons for raising taxes, emphasizing the benefits to the populace, using what happened to the trader's guild as an example, I bet we could get the ratepayers to buy into the scheme.

>>SUMMON THE COUNCIL AND ASK THEM TO ADVISE ON REVENUE RAISING OPTIONS

Radiant

Quote from: Baron on Sun 08/12/2013 17:16:13

+1

NightHawk

Quote from: Baron on Sun 08/12/2013 17:16:13
+1

Ryan Timothy B

Do we have a counsel? Who are they?

Ghost

I suggest we find some treasure.

We need to get a foundation. This will cost us money. We can't do trade now, and even with trade established, money will come in slowly. And money is important because it makes the world go round.

You know who always has money?

Dragons.

I suggest we:
a) find out about dragons.
b) find out where the smallest and weakest dragon is
c) send someone there with a big pointy stick
d) profit

And this is a serious suggestion. Fantasy kingdom == dragons. Even if those dragons are different. Maybe they aren't even dragons. They might be leprechauns or, if I remember WHAM, lemur giants. That doesn't matter. Just replace anything I wrote about dragons with the other word.

> ASK ABOUT DRAGONS.

__
Edit: Made "Dragons" a larger font size for emphasis.

miguel

Raising taxes will lower our popularity but yes I understand it has to be done for now. So I support the meting with the trader guilds as well.

But let's consider this:
- our trade income is zero;
- we need merchants in town and trade routes with other nations really quickly, so how to incentive merchants to trade with us?
- what do we have to offer?

-the taxes on commerce should not be set different than LOW if we want trading routes to pass by our kingdom;
-how rich are our people? Can they buy products when merchants start trading with us?

We need to know this things: CENSUS. We keep forgetting to do a population CENSUS of our kingdom.
Also, the SPY. Don't forget the SPY.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Ghost

Allow me to repeat my suggestion, backed up by RESEARCH.

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 08/11/2013 09:17:03
Alas, the chest is lost and the potion is thus gone.
Stolen by a dragon, it's guardians were left mere ash and bone.”

So we know there is a dragon. It was able to defeat guardians by turning them into ash and bone.
We  are dealing with a dragon at least the size of a princess (with either the natural ability to breathe fire, or accompanied by other creatures with said ability, or the Pyro); dangerous but, most importantly, DEFENITELY owning treasure.

Sometimes dragons are sentient. They can be talked with. Negotiated, even. Do we have another princess?

NightHawk

Dragons are also extremely greedy when it comes to gold and we would be destroyed on the spot if it so much as suspected that we took any even if it was our own coin falling out of our pocket.

Baron

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 09/12/2013 18:57:54
We  are dealing with a dragon at least the size of a princess (with either the natural ability to breathe fire, or accompanied by other creatures with said ability, or the Pyro); dangerous but, most importantly, DEFENITELY owning treasure.

I disagree with your logic.  The dragon may well have been quite tiny, just very powerful.  Also, the chest at one point contained potion, the use of which was to "restore" the princess, which would be hard to monetize.  Now I'm not saying that dragon hunting is a bad idea; I'm just saying that it entails certain risks, and I think you are misrepresenting the potential rewards.  Do you have an actual dragon in mind that we could mug/grift?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk