King Simulator 2013

Started by WHAM, Wed 06/11/2013 07:21:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

> offer audience to ROBINA and request that our military ADVISOR be present

(and WHAM, may I suggest that you put the summary-of-the-day in regular text? I find the textual-graphics hard to read)

WHAM

A new day dawns and you feel well rested and strong as you enter your throne room.
Remembering the queue of people awaiting your attention from the day before, you bid the Jester to permit the next audience immediately.

A somewhat stunted man enters the room, greeting you with a deep bow as he steps before you. The LOST WARRIOR seems old and wizened, yet strong and muscular, though you can tell there is something in his posture and behavior that speaks of the rough road he has been through.

"Hail, King of the South!" -the WARRIOR booms, his voice strong and coarse.

"My name is Rorik, son of Rorik, and I have traveled far from the frozen Northlands on an important mission. I began my travel with six companions, but as of now I am the only one remaining, as the others were..."

There is a short silence, during which Rorik blinks a few times as he tries to maintain composure.

"...lost. I shall say no more of their fate."

The WARRIOR's eyes turn to steel as he musters his strength.

"I am to travel further to the south and to the west as soon as I can, but the roads have become too dangerous for me these days, and I am forced to seek shelter and kindness. King of the Southlands, my request to you is this: permit me to remain within your walls for a few days so that I may rest and recover, as well as try and hire help from the town. Knowing the fates of my comrades, I dare not stay at any regular inn, so it is safety in your walls that I seek. I have nothing to offer but the gratitude of myself and mine, as well as the promise that a Northman always repays a kindness.

How do you answer, King?"
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Radiant

Well, sounds reasonable. Maybe we should ask him that once he's done with his task, he sends that help he hired back to us to provide us with information on the places he traveled to, as well as join our forces as heroes or scouts?

Ghost

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 24/12/2013 23:46:23
Well, sounds reasonable. Maybe we should ask him that once he's done with his task, he sends that help he hired back to us to provide us with information on the places he traveled to, as well as join our forces as heroes or scouts?
+1 on that. Sounds like a really good chance to learn more about the kingdom AND showing kindness. Plus, wizened warriors are good at staying alive. They have the practise of a lifetime. Maybe he can even teach someone a bit.

miguel

But who does he fear in our town and regular inns? Shouldn't we know more of the fate of his friends?
I'm okay with helping him and with what you both said. Maybe there's something to gain with his stay and knowledge but shouldn't we know more?
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Radiant

Hold it, I see the issue here. We've just commanded Lancy to start training townsfolk, and he explicitly told us that means he and his troops wouldn't be able to protect us for a couple of days. And now we're letting someone into the castle who needs protection from some unknown killing force. See the problem here?

Ghost

I see the potential problem. But I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. He comes from far away.

Tibatonk

Well... okay now, I'm all for helping that guy since making friends should be rather high on our list of priorities.

But, as Miguel pointed out, there is something fishy going on here. His friends were "lost" and he's too afraid to stay at a regular inn, meaning what he's really looking for is our protection. More or less telling us THAT he needs protection but refusing to tell us WHAT FROM seems somewhat bad strategy on his behalf. Because now we know that we probably are inviting some kind of unknown trouble if we help him.

But I guess we should take the risk. Particularly since we shouldn't make enemies out of everybody we meet. And as far as Lancelot is concerned, I think the bulk of his men should still be available guarding the town and castle, even if their leader is busy recruiting and training our new town militia.

Personally, I don't think we should tie any conditions to our help, though. First make sure he becomes our friend, then determine what we can gain from it. What we should do, though, is try and get some information about the frozen Northlands out of him right now.

>>Grant shelter to RORIK and ask him to tell us more about his home to the north. Also gently inquire about his mission and the fate of his companions. But make sure not to insult him if he really doesn't want to talk about it.

Ghost

The man is in our throne room. We are unguarded. He has not yet killed us. He must have come through the hall where Jester and all the other folks hang out and he hasn't killed anyone there either. I see that as a clear sign of his general "friendlyness" or at least non-aggressiveness, so I really think we should offer help.

Tibatonk

It's not him I'm worried about, it's whoever/whatever is threatening him. But, yes, I completely agree with you, we should offer our help.

WHAM

Correction: while Lancelot is not at his post in the castle, his men have not left their posts. The knights still guard their king and the town walls. (Lancelot is not THAT foolish!)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ghost on Wed 25/12/2013 05:00:51
The man is in our throne room. We are unguarded. He has not yet killed us. He must have come through the hall where Jester and all the other folks hang out and he hasn't killed anyone there either. I see that as a clear sign of his general "friendlyness" or at least non-aggressiveness

Assumption: he is a vampire werewolf and becomes hostile at nights.

miguel

If Rorik is afraid of staying at a inn it clearly means someone is after him. We need to know more before we give him shelter.
I know we need friends and immediate danger isn't our concern but who the hell scares him so much?
I say we do things subtly but do it.

> Grant Rorik the privilege of dinning with the King, Jesterino and Lancelot, at the end of the day and turn (this should be our last action). The purpose of our warm, candlelit meal is to allow Rorik to tell us of his travels and adventures. Doing it at the end of the day(turn) will allow us to keep him standing by and us to carry on all the orders of the day.

Adeel

Quote from: miguel on Wed 25/12/2013 11:36:39
> Grant Rorik the privilege of dinning with the King, Jesterino and Lancelot, at the end of the day and turn (this should be our last action). The purpose of our warm, candlelit meal is to allow Rorik to tell us of his travels and adventures. Doing it at the end of the day(turn) will allow us to keep him standing by and us to carry on all the orders of the day.

I think this is a good idea but consider this:

If Rorik is not telling us about the fate of his men even when we're alone. Then what makes us think that he will tell us in the presence of two other men?

I believe the best way to tackle this problem is:

Quote from: Tibatonk on Wed 25/12/2013 04:44:00
>Grant shelter to RORIK and ask him to tell us more about his home to the north. Also gently inquire about his mission and the fate of his companions. But make sure not to insult him if he really doesn't want to talk about it.

+1

We should not be so afraid of being killed. It's the only way to know about the fate of his men and his enemy. He has said that he's going to stay for a few days, so I believe we can summon him later and ask about it. Maybe he'll become more warm then and tell us because he, himself, says that a Northman always repays a kindness. What do you guys think?

selmiak

Quote> summon dragons and kill him with fire

+1

NightHawk

>Offer the Northman a room in the palace and order one of the royal guards to guard him during his stay.

miguel

Would you give shelter to a stranger knowing that he's being chased by unknown people?

Radiant

Quote from: Tibatonk on Wed 25/12/2013 04:44:00
>>Grant shelter to RORIK and ask him to tell us more about his home to the north. Also gently inquire about his mission and the fate of his companions. But make sure not to insult him if he really doesn't want to talk about it.
+1.

Also, any news he can give us of the surrounding lands would be great. After all, at the moment we literally don't know what's beyond our city walls.

WHAM

You decide it is time to make a friend, and this Rorik seems to be the honourable sort, so you reply:

"Rorik, son of Rorik, I shall grant you shelter and safety from your plight, whatever it may be. Know, that my kingdom is a haven to those in need, and accept my friendship today. All I ask in return is that you share your tales of the road you have travelled and tell me more of the lands you come from."

Rorik's face brightens up and he seems to stand a few inches taller after hearing your reply.

"I humbly accept, King of the riverland, and I thank you. I must admit I expected a cooler welcome here, consireding how little I would share of my situation, but I can only tell you that secresy is the only thing that has kept me alive on the road, and the mission I carry is of utmost importance to me and my kin. Your kindness will not go unpaid, I assure you. My kin will know of you kindness!"

Rorik shifts his weight, looking for a more comfortable position, before beginnig his tale.

"I travel from the frozen lands to the north and to the east, far away beyond the Wailing Woods who'se trees are said to grab men off their horses, and the Frozen Fjords, who'se slippery sheets of ice are known to shift under men's feet and swallow entire groups into the cold waters running below.  It is a dangerous path that separates your land from ours, and that danger is what has kept the peace even in the darkest of times, as no army can march across the lands to make war on one another.

My people are known by outsiders as 'the men of winter' and we live most of our lives in solitude, hunting the frozen wastes for beast and fish. The tribes often go to battle with one another, be it for cattle, prestige or rights to marry another's daughter, and so those who survive these battles and the cold are all hardy warriors. No other race of men exists in this world who can do battle in the cold winter as well as we do.

During the summers we build fast longships and sail the fjords and rivers in search for the riverwhales. One such beast will feed a village for a month and the bones make for excellent handles for blades and axes, as well as fine crafting materials for the womenfolk. Sometimes we travel west from our lands, as far as the rivers will take us and then across the dry plains and to the edges of the lush jungles to trade with the furry-folk there. I have not met them myself, but it is said that they are a great tribe of black-and-white -furred womenfolk only, and that they weave dangerous traps in the narrow paths of the jungle. We buy herbs and woodcrafts and sell meats and riverwhale bones and fat to them.

That's about all I can say of my homelands. We are simple folk and we live simple lives, that is all. Is there something else you wish to know of me? My travels have left me weary and I would much like to have a rest. Last night I spent hiding in the town, and the night offered me very little in the way of sleep. Perhaps within your walls I can finally rest."

Ghost

> fus roh dah

Come on. Someone had to say it, right? I could hear you all thinking it.

Still, that was a good move. Suggestion:
> have Jester bring Rorik to guest quarters, then hold audience

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk