Ponderabilia 2.0

Started by moloko, Fri 03/01/2014 12:53:42

Previous topic - Next topic

moloko

You wake up in a dark room, and you have no idea where you are or what is happening. If you liked Space Quest, Larry, King's Quest or Hero Quest, this is a game for you (and, man, you're pretty old...)! I created Ponderabilia from scratch and it took me about 14 years. So if you're in for an adventure, dive right in!

This is a link to the .exe file. Keep in mind that this is an executable created with Adventure Game Studio, and not every platform handles these files... gracefully.

Anyway, hope this works for you guys, and enjoy!

Ponderabilia 2.0 version notes:
*Sound! Gorgeous music by the amazing Handsfree, Sean A. McCabe, and Clément Reviriego, AGS-ers all.
*Two (That's right! 2!) alternate endings.
*More nudity, more cursing, more stupidity.
*A possible high score of 406
*Fixed the De Sade bug
*Fixed the cocktail mixing weirdness
*Fixed the "I'm stuck in a room and I don't know where the door is" problem by adding more doors.
*Fixed the "Where the hell is the electrical closet" by making it so wide it's nearly impossible not to fall in.
*Added easter eggs (so hidden I'll have to look up myself where I put 'm in the first place. I'm much like a squirrel that way...)
*Added extra hints to help you advance through the game
*Countless little nits and fixes
*Added Herobrine

This image contains pixel nudity. Viewer's discretion advised.
Spoiler
[close]

arj0n

moloko

Thanks mate. Coming from Keen that means a lot to me. Would you let me know if it works?

arj0n

Anian

If that first screen is a sex scene, you might want to put link to the image in these brackets [ hide][ /hide] (without spaces in the brackets) so young viewers might not be "scarred" for life.

But the game does look interesting.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

moloko

You're right. It's amazing how much innuendo can lie in a tiny square. :) I blocked it out, so people are warned. Also: the entire game is rather lewd. Don't say I didn't warn you. If you guys do start playing, it would be neat to get some in-game screengrabs. This game has yet to be finished by the first player, so good luck on making it first!

Peder 🚀

Game looks amazing! I tried playing it but eventually got stuck (most likely because of a bug). Also why did you only upload the .exe file?
It's better to compress (zip) the contents of the "compiled" folder, then we are able to change the settings etc too.

I'd suggest you find some people to help test and find bugs, then fix them and release an update. It seems it could potentially be impossible to finish with the "bug" I encountered, and it would be sad to see people put off by the bugs when the game itself looks so good! :).

Spoiler

The bug I encountered that seems to stop me from playing anymore is when I go to "home" and walk into the building, I am then unable to leave! Also the room where you have to use the ticket, you don't actually have to do it as you can just walk right past the "pole" thingie.
[close]

moloko

Exiting the house works by clicking down far enough to the southeast (past the door) with the walk icon. Weird you got past the pole thingy tho. Tried that one extensively and it never showed up. Did you lose the ticket or can you just pass with ticket and everything?

Adeel

Hey Moloko. Congratulations on releasing your game. :) The game's pixel art is excellent! 8-0

I've downloaded your game and will be back with my feedback, once I complete the game. The reason I'm writing this post is to offer you a suggestion, i.e, you should perhaps upload the compressed file instead of plain .exe or compressed file alongside with plain .exe file. Not only the file size will decrease, but it'll also prevent your file from being corrupted.

PS: I compressed your game's .exe in .7z archive format. Initial file size was 9.41 MB and after compressing, it reduced down to 935 KB.

moloko

Thank you. Duly noted. There's now a link for .zip file, too.

Secret Fawful

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Fri 03/01/2014 20:00:46
Game looks amazing! I tried playing it but eventually got stuck (most likely because of a bug). Also why did you only upload the .exe file?
It's better to compress (zip) the contents of the "compiled" folder, then we are able to change the settings etc too.

I'd suggest you find some people to help test and find bugs, then fix them and release an update. It seems it could potentially be impossible to finish with the "bug" I encountered, and it would be sad to see people put off by the bugs when the game itself looks so good! :).

Spoiler

The bug I encountered that seems to stop me from playing anymore is when I go to "home" and walk into the building, I am then unable to leave! Also the room where you have to use the ticket, you don't actually have to do it as you can just walk right past the "pole" thingie.
[close]

There is an exit, but it's in the black space underneath the room. To the left of the southeast corner. I would have put some light or something there to signify an exit.

The game is very pretty, and stays somehow intriguing in spite of it's total lack of direction for the player, and limited animation. I don't mind limited animation, though. I'm stuck right now, as I have no idea what I'm doing.

I
Spoiler
had sex with Syph, and mixed the Four Horsemen. I have the pills, the drink, the remote, and the Kama Sutra.
[close]

moloko

Congratulations on making it this far, Fawful! Other players have already advanced a bit further, but I have yet to see the first one to finish it. As for having no idea what you're doing, I can definitely relate. :) Here's some information to get you along:

Spoiler
You may have picked up somewhere that in order to get to Steve, you'll have to have a chat with the Shaman. Not an issue, but there's no chance to reach the Shaman in your current "body". I suggest you find a way to get rid of your corporeal state. Furthermore, here's one hint that may make things less frustrating: If you manage to get past Steve's self-defense, hit the remote.
[close]

Hope this helps! I'll be around some more to help people that are really stuck, and will probably release an updated version based on player frustrations. 

Ghost

This looks so awesome! I am so going to download and play it right now!

Grim

I do like the look of this!;)

Reminds me of my Amiga days.

I'll try it when I've got some free time and I'll be back to report what I think about it!;)

Daniel Eakins

The graphics are pretty good! Looks like a grittier Gobliiins game :smiley: I'll definitely play this.
We all have our time machines, don't we?

moloko

Hey everyone,
I updated with a version that has these edits:
*Version number when accessing the ags logo in the menu bar
*A doorway hinting the exit of the House (thanks Peder)
*A bug in the cocktail game that allowed for some funky placement
*Several small hints as to what to do where and why

Hope this works out for everyone, and still eagerly awaiting the first of you to finish it!

n0p

Strange yet interesting game :)
--
Here's a quick bug report:
In first version of Ponderabilia:
Spoiler

After meeting Syph his friend didn't teach me anything - stuck on "If you ever need" line,
restarted with second version - and was able to continue this time.
[close]
Now:
Spoiler

I've got solid light, pliers and pebble and no idea what to do next :)
Meat hook sequence can be repeated, increasing points.
Reentering cloning room after meeting with T-Rex guy replays body cloning sequence, increasing points.
One can take "Smell" cartridge again and again, though only one stays in inventory.
How come cloning machine works again if i used "Smell" cartridge on it before and Nikkee broke it? Or she didn't?
[close]

moloko

Thanks for listing these out. I'll make sure and correct as soon as I can.

Now, the fact that you're stuck is not really a bug. :) Did you check out all the rooms with the elevator?
Spoiler
There ought to be a top floor that is now accessible.
[close]

*I wasn't aware of the meat hook sequence repeat points. Will correct asap.
*Thanks for pointing out the cloning room bug. Will fix.
*Which cartridge are you referring to that can be taken again an again?
*Nikee never broke the bodymapper, though she did end up giving it a big dent on the inside.

Thanks for playing Ponderabilia, BTW. Adeel was the first to finish it, and I hope you do too! I will include a bit more direction in the next update, so people don't know where to go anymore. Apparently some aspects are far to obscure or unclear to really guide people.

Monsieur OUXX

I've downloaded it and I'm very attracted to those graphics. It has a flavour of "time travellers" (slightly smaller characters than other games), just better ;-)

n0p

moloko, thank you for making the game :)
Spoiler

Pressing MNAO again ang again says "cartridge popped out" and can be used to cheat score :)
As for elevator rooms - TBH, i was looking for a button or make-up way to short elevator circuit from start of the game, but didn't succeed.
And i've a bit tired from using pliers on everything that seemed to contain wires :-D
Will keep looking, thank you!
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk