Creating a game without any character?

Started by GahRii, Sun 19/01/2014 00:21:30

Previous topic - Next topic

GahRii

Hello.

How do I make a game without the use of a character? I want to make a game that's purely text based with a background. I want text to appear, you to click through various options, then move onto another room based on the options you've selected, and thus play through a story like this.

I don't want a controllable character, or any sprites for the character(s), I just want to make use of background images to give the illusion of characters, and then the actual game to be purely dialogue based.

I have no idea how to begin with this, any help is appreciated.

The Suitor

One possibility is to put,  player.Transparency = 100;  in the game start function. This is in your Global Script.

Like so:
Code: ags
function game_start() 
{   
    player.Transparency = 100;
}

If I'm not mistaken the player character has to be in the room, visible or not.

To change rooms, simply put, player.ChangeRoom(Put Room Number Here);

GahRii

Ahh, good idea. I never thought of that. I understand how to change rooms and stuff from tutorials I've been reading/watching, I just couldn't figure out how to avoid putting a character in a room somewhere, thus kind of defeating what I was going for. I'll try that.

Thanks.

Crimson Wizard

One thing to remember: according to how AGS works you still have to assign at least one sprite to character's "Down" directional loop in the view.
Or, to be more safe, at least one sprite per each standard directional loop (Up/Down/Left/Right). This will preserve your game from suddenly quitting because it could not find character's sprite.
You do not really need any real graphics there, you may make just a transparent 1x1 pixel square.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk