January Tune Contest Closed : Country of Love (Winner Announced)

Started by Doc_Savage, Fri 24/01/2014 18:49:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc_Savage

For This contest, you will have to compose a small HYMN for a country of your choice. I want to hear instruments and styles from this particular country of your choice.

For example, France, could be a tango with accordion, Ireland and scots, bagpipe or whistles, etc.  :)

I give you till Febuary 7 (2 weeks)

Good luck :)

Eric

In the interests of full disclosure, I "recorded" a song yesterday that already bears the name of a country (as does the game I'm making it for), fits well with the requirements of this competition, and that I'd love to enter. However, I recorded this song yesterday. YESTERDAY! Just before the competition was announced. Any chance you'd still let me compete?

Eric

This tune is a slow, dark version of a calypso that serves as the theme to a noir-influenced game which takes place on a boat between Trinidad and Venezuela. Were it faster, you might imagine it being played at the carnival in El Callao. The use of vibrato'd vibraphone is my cheat around trying to achieve a steel drum sound (because the steel drums in the soundfonts I've found aren't great, and I don't have access to real steel drums).

DrewCCU

Just wanted to step in and let you know that I will be posting a submission for this contest.  I'll give you a little hint ... my country is Korea.(I know it's technically two different countries but ...)

*EDIT*

Okay, here it is:

https://www.mediafire.com/?njp5yj83dff9fda

I did my best to reflect traditional Korean instrumentation

Traditional Korean instruments consisted of:
Gayageum (aka Zither)
Sohaegeum (aka Violin)
Junghaegeum (aka Viola)
Daehaegeum (aka Cello)
Jeohaegeum (aka Double Bass)
Daegeum (aka Flute)
Piri (aka Oboe)
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Doc_Savage

Quite beautiful! I am suprised that this tune contest inspired so much. I'm eager to see what lies for the next contestants ;-D

Doc_Savage

Ok it dosen't seems to have more contenders ;)

Now :

DrewCCU : Simple idea, very light and brilliant. I never thought about stopping it, very nice theme, something very interesting in the choosing of the chord wich makes it a great piece to listen. Based on that hearing, I would imagine that everything goes peacefully in Korea :)

Eric: I find drums a bit loud,  great use of the sounds, the piece is very charismatic, the leitmotiv is the reason why I come back to your piece.

DrewCCU I think you have the best arrangement technically of the two piece, but the leitmotiv of Eric has gotten me. I find it a little bit strange but at the same time it is pleasant to listen. I choose Eric for this month but each of you has demonstrated great talent.

I'm hoping to listent to more of your compo in the next contest :)

Congratulations !

Eric

I'm gobsmacked. I thought there was no way I was winning this one against Drew! I will have a new contest up ASAP, and hopefully you two will enter that one as well!

DrewCCU

"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk