Best practice to replace a series of sprites?

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Wed 29/01/2014 13:22:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Here is my scenario : (AGS 3.2.1)
- I have an animation (created with photoshop, for the record. but it doesn't matter)
- I thought I was clever to export it as a GIF, then the AGS import was very fast
- I've created views based on that series of sprites. That's the critical point: the views don't exactly match the GIF (some sprites are displayed several times, longer or more briefly, etc.). My GIF is just a series of unique sprites. The VIEW is the actual animation.
- Every now and then I need to update the sprites. That means I export a new GIF.

Problem: when I import them again into AGS, I can't just overwrite the old sprites if I use the "import as GIF" AGS option. That means I get new sprites, with new IDs. That means my view is ruined.

Question: What's the best practice to update a series of sprites (without having to do it manually for each sprite!) without ruining my existing views?

Alternative solution:
Spoiler
I've seen that option in AGS "use all sprites from a folder". That could be my solution, but it's not my preferred one -- does anyone know how to export all frames of a Photoshop animation into single files?
[close]

Daniel Eakins

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 29/01/2014 13:22:33
Alternative solution:
Spoiler
I've seen that option in AGS "use all sprites from a folder". That could be my solution, but it's not my preferred one -- does anyone know how to export all frames of a Photoshop animation into single files?
[close]

File > Scripts > Export Layers to Files
We all have our time machines, don't we?

Monsieur OUXX

so the only good solution is to maintain the frames as individual files, in a folder external to AGS?

I think it's time to have a "replace all these sprites from files or GIF" function that would work the same way as "replace sprite from file"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk