High resolution on cell phones

Started by jannar85, Thu 17/10/2013 20:47:57

Previous topic - Next topic

jannar85

Will 1024x768 work on cellphones too? Or will proportions change?
I'm planning to release our game on all devices in the future, and I'm curious on how it'll look.
Does anyone know?

We were hoping for 1920x1080 res on AGS in the future, but for now, we have to just do them in 1024x768. I know there's a special build here somewhere that supports higher, but right now I think it's safest to go for the official build.
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Ethan D

That's actually a huge issue with developing games for cell phones and tablets. Since the effective resolution for phones range from 320x240 all the way up to 2048x1536. (Possibly bigger)

So in your situation (1024x768) it may look less detailed both at the highest and lowest resolution. On the low resolutions details will be lost (if you are using pixel art that is particularly problematic) and on the highest resolution devices (tablets) 1024x768 might actually look somewhat lackluster.

A lot of mobile developers include 3 different resource packs for different sizes. I'm not sure if there's a way to do this in AGS though, I haven't used it in a long while. There may be something in the process of porting to mobile platforms.

You may enjoy reading this: http://v-play.net/doc/vplay-different-screen-sizes/#scene-alignment

The trouble with cell phones and tablets is that essentially every app runs at full screen so there will be scaling. Including different sized resource packs makes it easier to minimize the scaling artifacts even if it can't eliminate it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk