Direct3d bug? - large background images (scroll) -> corners visible - (320x200)

Started by Ralain, Mon 17/02/2014 05:30:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralain

Hello fellow adventurers,

I decided to use Direct3d as everybody seems to say that DirectDraw is kind of already "dead".
The game's resolution is 320x200 ( full screen with black bars, and I have to use side bars too to correct the ratio )

As I love scrollings and big backgrounds to explore, I used images larger than the game's resolution.
The thing is that the background image becomes visible in the corners of the "black area - bars".
This doesn't happen in DirectDraw mode.

In this example I use a 644x240 background image for my room:

Here a pic' of the issue (direct3d / 320x200 game / 32bit):

And if I enable the Letterbox Mode, the upper and lower black bars simply dissapear and these regions become accesible to the mouse (in 320x200 rooms, you cannot move the cursor in these black bar regions)
Even the GUI in the upper left corner goes up.
Here a pic of the letterbox mode / direct3d / 320x200 game / 32bit :

I thought I've seen a post once about this, but I couldn't track it back..
Anyone knowing something about this bug or give me some insight?

Or a way to avoid having these kind of issues. How can I create a full screen game with low res graphics like in the above pictures, but without any black bars?
I also have this graphic stretch problem in full screen mode, but as I understand from all the posts I read, it's some hardware/nvidia resize related issue?

(I used AGS 3.2.1 & 3.3.0 )

Thanks in advance !

Crimson Wizard

We had this bug reported: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=348.0

I am not a pro in graphics, but I think this may be solved by setting d3d viewport: I did this for custom resolutions build.
BTW, can you try what happens if you use this experimental version:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49014.0

Ralain

Thank you for your reply.

I downloaded the Custom Resolution Build and tried it out.
It seems to be working, in only have sidebars left & right, but that is probably because of the 320x200 resolution.

Our game is still at its beginnings, so I can't tell about possible bugs.
What do you mean about D3D Viewport, is that the custom resolution button in general settings?

I'll do some more testings these next few days and give you updates.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ralain on Tue 18/02/2014 15:48:57
It seems to be working, in only have sidebars left & right, but that is probably because of the 320x200 resolution.
Oops, sorry, I did not thought about that. In current state the customres version's setup only allows to scale game to maximal possible, so you won't see both horizontal and vertical borders at the same time.
There's a way to do so by manually editing acsetup.cfg file. It should say something like:
Code: text

[misc]
gfxdriver=D3D9
windowed=0          <--- 1 for windowed mode
gfxfilter=StdScale2 <--- number may be different
renderstyle=center  <--- this is important
screenwidth= your desktop res (or other)
screenheight= your desktop res (or other)

Quote from: Ralain on Tue 18/02/2014 15:48:57
What do you mean about D3D Viewport, is that the custom resolution button in general settings?
No, it's about the program function, don't mind this (I said that rather in case other people with knowledge of using D3D9 come into this thread :)).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk