A Rare Honour for Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw!

Started by Mandle, Wed 19/02/2014 02:55:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

I'm not sure if the man himself (Yahtzee) is aware of this particular honour I discovered quite by chance but I thought I should point it out here. It's certainly worth some bragging rights!

I was reading through the official Wikipedia page for H.P.Lovecraft and:

The CHZO Mythos games (or Trilby Series) are mentioned under the "Games" heading of games inspired by the writings of Lovecraft!!!

To actually have a mention of your game on the official H.P.Lovecraft Wikipedia page is quite an honour I believe!

Cthudos to you sir!

Janos Biro

Congratulations! Now let's do more children Lovecraftian games! (nod)
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

Radiant

Janos Biro

I wish I had enough coordination to play platformers. I keep dying again and again. But the game is neat.

Wait, do you think that's the reason why I play adventure games?
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

Secret Fawful

I'd love to know why he stopped coming here, but nobody ever talks about it.

tzachs

Nobody ever talks about it, because
Spoiler

it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts
[close]

m0ds

Yeah but Yahtzee needs adventure games like the rest of us. So he's here somewhere, and probably is tzachs!!! Fuck you tzachzee! You are so definitely an australian brit with no beard or Israeli background!

tzachs

Dead dingo's donger, you got me mate!! Acel disguise though, don't you think?

Dualnames

Yahtzee got to be an asshole, left, people tried to get him back, he made some games "look, how great i am" and people are sucking up to a douche. My thoughts, after seeing his behavior on the EZ Boards.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Adeel

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 21/02/2014 07:51:31
Yahtzee got to be an asshole, left, people tried to get him back, he made some games "look, how great i am" and people are sucking up to a douche. My thoughts, after seeing his behavior on the EZ Boards.

Haha! This is the BEST summary of the whole story. (laugh)

I joined very late but I managed to successfully dig out the past and found what happened. Tragic story, to say the least... (roll)

qptain Nemo

The rational version of the story: an introvert decided to go do something else elsewhere with no hard feelings, the end.

Snarky

Or the minimalist version: Whatever happened, it happened more than twelve years ago, so who the fuck cares?

Andail

I think what this thread needs is lots of relatively new people who weren't even around when Yahtzee was to explain what they think really happened.

The only worthwile thing with this thread was this quote:
Cthudos to you, sir!
Good one!

Adeel

Quote from: Andail on Fri 21/02/2014 17:13:21
I think what this thread needs is lots of relatively new people who weren't even around when Yahtzee was to explain what they think really happened.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Yahtzee%27s_Apology

Don't worry. His explanation (or apology) has been immortalized already! ;) Even though the original articles is lost somewhere in deep space (though it was intact the first time I checked it). So no hard feelings for anybody in general and Yahtzee in particular. :)

Mandle

Sorry...I am fairly new to this site. When I started this thread I was not aware that the individual in question was a controversial figure for the more long-time members of the AGS community...

I was not trying to stir up any sour memories for anyone. My intention was only to bring to the community's attention something I perceived as an honour for Mr. Croshaw and the genre itself.

My apologies again, and if this thread is irrelevant due to his absence on this site, or is offensive to some people please feel free to lock it.

Secret Fawful

I don't give a flying shit if it's twelve years ago. I want to know.

Adeel

Quote from: Secret Fawful on Sat 22/02/2014 00:39:05
I don't give a flying shit if it's twelve years ago. I want to know.

Read the wiki link which I shared above, pal. :)

Secret Fawful

I did. It was just an apology. It wasn't his exact posts and the exact posts of the people who didn't like him.

Adeel

Quote from: Secret Fawful on Sat 22/02/2014 00:42:40
I did. It was just an apology. It wasn't his exact posts and the exact posts of the people who didn't like him.

Call it his luck or something else but I believe all of this happened on EZ Boards and they're no more.

m0ds

No, Ben was always a focussed AGS guy, he made games, he made sure people helped him make games. A lot of people just pissed around and chatted. From what I remember he didn't get involved in debates like some people did, literally, to the death. And as nemo said, he just did what all sane people do - focus on things without influence of any kind from the AGS community. Because, for a game designer, this place is stagnant - it always has been and always will be. You can stagnate your ass around here easy enough, but he decided to continue forward from that, as many, many have, and luckily enough he got a break - and luckily enough for US he continued to use AGS. So basically, he made games more passionately than most at that time in AGS's life, and then went on to do other things more passionately than the AGS community allows for. It can feel confined here, AGS games and people's personal problems. That's all good and well but if you're determined it's not exactly going to help you out, sometimes to blossom you need to put certain things down, kick certain habits etc.

In honesty, I think Yahtzee did a good thing, he stopped f****** around on some forums somewhere and got on with his career. We can all take a leaf from that tree, or whatever tez expression is ;) There was some bitterness then, maybe unbenknownst to most of us then, that we were just sad someone so passionate about making games was going elsewhere. You don't get that here anymore. And that's why Yahtzee is unique. First person pretty much to say fuck you, I need to progress and AGS effectively means I can't. And that's the harsh reality of it, you either spend your life being consumed by AGS, worrying about its ins and outs, the community, who you're pleasing & displeasing etc - or you put all that aside and actually get on with your ideals of a career and future. Back then none of us really knew, Yahtzee probably did. But now we can see, SO many people have left AGS to deal with their own paths. Yahtzee just made it public. But yeah, I still love that AGDzine article where we subtly call him a c*** ;) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk