Battle system for QFG-style game

Started by skitt2501, Fri 28/02/2014 16:33:38

Previous topic - Next topic

skitt2501

Hi there, I'm working on a qfg-like game using Unity 3D's Adventure Creator asset. I have a proof of concept of the battle system, and I thought I'd run it by you guys just to see if you'd find it fun or interesting at all.

Here is a video of the battle system in action. It is very early, and many of the elements are not in place.

So on the surface it's a very simple turn based system. The player inputs one of his available attacks, and the attack then proceeds. The enemy is given a weighted random chance to block/dodge/counter the attack based on what attack the player uses. After the attack lands or misses, the enemy gets to attack.

This is where it gets slightly more complex. While the enemy attacks, the player is given a chance to choose a defense move. In the current build, as seen above, the enemy's animation is slowed down considerably while the player has time to choose the appropriate defense in order to give the player time to see which attack is coming. So when the enemy attacks low, the player must jump, when he attacks high, the player can block. In the final build, this slowdown will likely be much less pronounced.

The whole purpose is to get the player to study the enemy's movements and tendencies in order to become better at fighting this type of enemy in the future. So some attacks have a better chance of landing, while some have a worse chance but can do more damage. Some defense methods block all damage from a particular attack, but are unlikely to be successful, unless the player knows exactly which attack the enemy will use. Other defense types will only block some damage but will be used to block a wider variety of attacks.

The battle system is much the same for the rogue and wizard characters. The plan is for rogues (not called a rogue, not sure what to call the class yet) to attack with unarmed martial arts, and have more options for dodging and countering. Wizards have many more options at their disposal. Their main attacks are with staves, but they get other options for offensive and defensive spells, such as fireballs and defensive portals which redirect some attacks. Obviously each attack/defense expends some stamina or mana, depending on the type chosen, so that the player has to choose each action even more thoughtfully.

So what do you think of this battle system? Does it sound fun to play? Also, slightly off topic, but if anyone wants to assist on this project, I would be glad to get someone who has any knowledge of Unity coding (C#) :-D. Here are a few more images of the game so far if anyone is interested:

Room and character

Outskirts of town (not even close to done yet)

Fun landmark

Waterfall pond

And a video

Some of those scenes in action

Thanks for any critique and help (about anything at all!)

Slasher

Hi,

I did an almost similar thing some time ago. Your version is pretty cool and as you say, observation of moves is the key, unless it's a random response.......trickier I know (laugh)

DBoyWheeler

Nice!  I may have to save this for future reference... Thanks, pal!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk