Specific scripting questions to do a quick POC for a group

Started by Kilmoore, Sat 12/04/2014 15:31:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilmoore

Hi.

I'm new here, and yes, I have read the FAQ's. I am however, in a bit of a hurry. I only have a few days time to do a proof of concept, to convince a group to do my idea for a game. I won't bore you with the details, but the point is I wasn't even going to take part, but suddenly got this idea that I really want to make happen. So now I need to get this done ASAP.

I have several years of programming experience, and if someone could either point me to a tutorial/example game that has what I need to just tell me how this works I would greatly appreciate it, as I simply don't know if what documentation covers this. There seem to be several years old forums post and documents with very unfamiliar looking versions of AGS, so googling gets a bit confusing.

What have I in my demo is a room, with a walkable area and an animated main character. I also have an NPC. This is all fine and done.

What I need to have happen is when the player does the "Interact"-action to the NPC, following things happen:

1) The player character moves to a specific spot
2) The player character performs a preset animation
3) The NPC does an animation
4) The NPC stops and stays in a new position.

Specifically:

A) Where does the script for something like this go? Global script?

B) What is the trigger that happens when Interact-action is done to the NPC, i.e. what function is called? Where is the starting point for this all? I find all these examples that bring up dialogues but I can't find one that covers Interact-action and a character.

C) (this one I think I should find on my own but if anyone wants to help, I welcome it). How do I do the animation? I'm thinking of first walking the player to coordinates automatically, switching the views of the the player to one with the animation, and after one loop changes back to the normal one. Also, the NPC switches to the movement view, then to the view of the final position.

So essentially, I need a hint on the general architecture of the scripting. What happens when the Interact is clicked and how do I take it from there. Again, thanks for any help.

Cassiebsg

Hi...

If you haven't checked densming's tutorials on youtube, I suggest you do so:
http://www.youtube.com/user/densming

He's got some great ones, and am sure he has what you're asking for (I haven't watched all yet though).
Check the ones about cutscenes. :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Kilmoore

Of course, videos don't really catch google search words and I associated cutscene with a video file, but I think this might be what I'm looking for. Thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk