May Tune Contest

Started by JasonB, Mon 05/05/2014 13:57:26

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonB

Ok...so waltzes didn't work out, so lets get as far from waltzes as possible!

Write a song that's EPIC!!!!

It doesn't matter what style it is as long as it sounds like something one would listen to as the world ends...or is saved...or something like that.  Ideally, the bulk of your title will be exclamation marks with the occasionally accidental number one.  All files submitted with a "quality" less than 180dB will not be considered.  :wink:  Write something MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Due date: May 30

Erenan

Quote from: JasonB on Mon 05/05/2014 13:57:26All files submitted with a "quality" less than 180dB will not be considered.

Are you saying that our submissions have to cause hearing loss or we'll be disqualified?
The Bunker

Giraffadon

Do you mean bpm?

I would have thought a lower BPM value would maybe add to an epic theme.

m0ds

Nice idea! I have something available so will enter it. "The Fringe Report" - written earlier today as I continue tinkering with FL Studio (and can only do things in one take with the demo version, bah!). So a bit rough around the edges, but has inspirations from Hans Zimmer who I listened to earlier (Inception, Dark Knight scores) it has more of that sort of a vibe to it than end of/save the world, sort of a darkened super hero character - "Teh Fringe" perhaps. ;) Though it was written with the paranormal (which is epic!) in mind (the intro esp).

MP3

DrewCCU

I'm going to attempt to enter this one. :-D
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

JasonB

Erenan - yes

Giraffadon - decibels (kind of a joke but not really)

Mods - That is an awesome cut!  You have throw the gauntlet!  I hear the influence.  Still, its totally original, but more importantly, EPIC!

kaput

Hi, folks. Thought I'd throw my hat down in this epic song time. I decided to go for something along the lines of disposable heroes of hiphoprisy meets NIN. In terms of something that "sounds like something one would listen to as the world ends...or is saved", I decided a 'state of emergency rebel culture-ness'.

Song was made with good old guitar, pedals, 16 track and audacity. Oh, and John F Kennedy!  Enjoy.

Never Negotiate ft. JFK

Edit: had to update the link.

bicilotti

Quote from: Sunny Penguin on Fri 16/05/2014 04:34:10
Never Negotiate ft. JFK

Any way of getting stuff off soundcloud without installing Flash? I recall there was a download option, but I can't find it and "unplug" gives me no help!

kaput

Download was disabled by default, but I'll make it able for people to download it now :).

bicilotti

Quote from: Sunny Penguin on Fri 16/05/2014 16:22:05
Download was disabled by default, but I'll make it able for people to download it now :).

Thanks, appreciated!

m0ds

Never negotiate! Never negotiate! Haha 8-) Nice

kaput

Heh, cheers! That beat took a while to get right. I'm a fan of your music so it's cool to hear you like it. Re your piece - nice work, I tried tinkering with FL Studio before but I didn't really get the hang of it. Looks like a cool program.

m0ds

Thanks! The volume is a bit mental on your track but it has a total beastie boys vibe to me, I like it and have to listen to it again now. NEVER NEGOTIATE!!!-OID!

JFK was going to see that disclosure on UFO's happened and was to sign some kind of bill to ensure that, and a week later he was shot.

Doc_Savage

kaput

Quote from: Mods on Thu 22/05/2014 03:27:57
The volume is a bit mental on your track

Yeah, it was pretty mental, eh. I made it a bit quieter now. Wouldn't let me edit the sound file because I don't have a premium account (d'oh), so I had to upload it again. Here's the new link (so you can go like that one instead, Mods ;)):
https://soundcloud.com/mikegillon/never-negotiate-ft-jfk

p.s nice entry, Doc.

JasonB

These are some ferocious tunes!

Doc_Savage

Quote from: Sunny Penguin on Fri 23/05/2014 14:04:40
Quote from: Mods on Thu 22/05/2014 03:27:57
The volume is a bit mental on your track

Yeah, it was pretty mental, eh. I made it a bit quieter now. Wouldn't let me edit the sound file because I don't have a premium account (d'oh), so I had to upload it again. Here's the new link (so you can go like that one instead, Mods ;)):
https://soundcloud.com/mikegillon/never-negotiate-ft-jfk

p.s nice entry, Doc.

Lol Sunny! Happy to see you on the forum and thx! ;)

JasonB

Hey everybody!

So correct me if I'm wrong, but we had three entries.  All three were epic indeed!

Mods wrote a killer track with some parts on boil with some nice simmering sections contrast.  I especially love the transitions.  My favorite as far as personal taste is definitely Doc_Savage's cut.  Its a slow build, has the most melody, and the brass at the end is especially intense!  However, Sunny Penguin has to be the winner based on the criteria.  The other two are certainly more melodic but, for my money, Never Negotiate is simply more epic.  Even though I was joking about it being a criteria, it does coincidentally also happen to be the loudest (even after the edit).  So June is all you, Mr. Penguin!

Doc_Savage

Thanks Jason, I would have cast my vote on Sunny Penguin also, very nice piece :)

kaput

It's a great honour :) I totally have to commend the other really talented guys for their great compositions, really enjoyed hearing them.

QuoteEven though I was joking about it being a criteria, it does coincidentally also happen to be the loudest

(laugh)

Right, I'll go away and think of a theme for the June competition and get back to you's!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk