I wrote a blog about The Last of Us

Started by frenzykitty, Tue 27/05/2014 10:08:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Anian

I must admit, I didn't play the game, but watched an 8+ hours of cutscenes edited with gameplay (it was awesome and fun, watched it in one day, I don't have a PS and I would probably not play this game on my own). The entry is cohesive and to the point so I guess it's ok. I'd very much put a spoiler warning in there somewhere though (maybe be you did, but I didn't see it).

The game offers far more than the mentioned relationship between two main characters, there's also Joel and his brother, partner, old friend. There's also the cannibals and their survival code etc. Story is full of decisions and acts that really are in moral gray area and I always kind of felt torn yet I could see character's reasons and point of view. Story is really good, but balance is great in this game, that might've been a more important point to the game's design.

All in all the game has awesome atmosphere, characters are very well written and the end left me very divided and content at the same time...which hasn't happened in a long while.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

frenzykitty

I agree, but chose to just focus on the relationship between ellie and joel, which is the most developed and relevant. Also, there is a massive spoiler warning above the picture :)

Ponch

Cool article. I picked up a PS3 just to have my own copy of this game and stop playing it at my GF's brother's house. :cool:

Baron

What ever happened to Ish, anyway (the survivalist/diarist that kept leaving notes everywhere)?  It seemed Joel was on his trail for a while outside Pittsburgh, but I never got any sense of closure.

Ponch

Ish escaped with at least one other person and they lit out for greener pastures. You can find a note he left for the others in one of the houses in the suburbs, on the the other side of the sewer tunnels. I'd like to think he became king of the river people. :cool:

Baron

Yeah, but what happened to him after that!  You know how plots are supposed to work: you leave a gun on the mantel in act 1 and somebody ends up getting shot by act 3.  We followed Ish for so long, I figured he had to turn up again somewhere down the line, and was more than just a little disappointed when he didn't.

Unless....

Spoiler
Unless Ish was a giraffe.... :-\
[close]

Armageddon

I thought the game was garbage. The combat was boring, the AI was incredibly dumb. It's painfully linear. Here's the best article I've seen of why it's not very great.

Retro Wolf

I borrowed it from my sister and finished it the other day, sure it's not perfect:

-The AI is a bit funny sometimes (your companion can walk straight past them, and they won't notice).
-There were times when you'd walk into an area, see all these blocks that would make good cover and sarcastically think; "Oh I wonder If I'll get attacked?" (roll)

Spoiler:
Spoiler
-The part where Joel says he's going to up and leave the girl, after all they've been through? I couldn't accept that.
[close]

-Sure it was very linear, but that didn't bother me; It's very much a cinematic experience.
-The production values were excellent.
-I enjoyed the story; I cared about the characters.
-The gameplay was challenging at times, but in a good way.
-I found it to be a very entertaining experience.

I would recommend anyone play it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk