Author Topic: The AGS Trove! Calling all AGSers!!  (Read 2587 times)

Retro Wolf

• Hello this is uhhh... Steve... from Microsoft...
    • Retro Wolf worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
The AGS Trove! Calling all AGSers!!
« on: 24 Apr 2018, 16:47 »

The AGS Treasure Trove

Small art packs and little goodies to help build a game!

Contribute: agstrove@gmail.com

Send me your unused game art.
I even want your unfinished game art.
Also consider sending me completed art from your finished game projects.
It does not matter how much you send, one walk cycle? A few rooms? I want it. If you’re sending a whole bunch of files don’t feel pressured into organising them in some way (though I would appreciate that).

What is the AGS Trove? A collection of art assets that anyone can download to help jump start their game development projects. Not everyone is capable of making usable art, maybe they just need a starting point. The AGS Trove is intended to be an ever growing project that anyone can contribute to.

Please no Photoshop project files. I want PNGs, BMPs, and GIFs. Only image files that can be directly imported to AGS. Please place into a compressed folder before sending.

agstrove@gmail.com

Unfinished game art?
Some people give up on their projects, let’s say I was working on a 5 room game but only completed half of it, someone could take those assets and make a short 1 or 2 room game.

This walk cycle is half finished!
Maybe you could try finishing it, you might learn something! Maybe even just make that guy a static character in the background that you can talk to!

There’s only one character in this style, I could do with more…
I began making sprites by taking existing ones, chopping them up and changing the colours to make something new, it’s fun! You can even make new rooms by cutting and pasting, take the chair from room A, the plant pot from room B, flip room C around and you have a new background!

I’ve sent some art, do I get credit?
Only if you want, when you email please do give me your AGS handle so I can thank you in this thread. If you want credit I’ll place your art in a file with the same name as your handle. If you do not want credit I’ll name the folder “Anon” but I still would like to give you a thanks in this thread as a contributor.

I’ve made a template with a snazzy GUI, can I send you that?
Yes please! I’m interested in templates, colour palettes, characters, backgrounds, inventory objects, cursors, and buttons.

I've got something spare, but it's not exactly for point and click adventures.
Send it, Someone might have a use for it!

I’ve drawn this walk-cycle but it looks a bit awkward…
Someone could have a use for it, send it!

So email your files to agstrove@gmail.com either attaching them to the email or giving me a link if you’ve got them uploaded somewhere, your AGS handle, and whether you want credit or not. Please no Photoshop project files. I want PNGs, BMPs, and GIFs. Only image files that can be directly imported to AGS. Please place into a compressed folder before sending.

Any style any genre. Do not send me stolen artwork, you must have made it yourself.

Contributors:
Retro Wolf
DanVzare
Blondbraid
Kastchey
cat
NickyNyce
CaptainD
Creamy
Stranga

By using the artwork contained in the AGS Trove you agree to abide by the terms of the license.
Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode

An easy to understand summary of the license can be found at this link.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Download links:
Download here.
Alternate link.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2018, 16:57 by Retro Wolf »

LimpingFish

• Mittens Serf
  • Boink!
    • LimpingFish worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: The AGS Trove! Calling all AGSers!!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2018, 19:18 »
I like this idea, as it reminds me of the old "Instagame" project. :)

However, I'd like to see it done with a Creative Commons-type license in place first, so that everybody knows exactly where they stand on rights and credits. Nothing overly complex, just a general safeguard against any potential...impropriety.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2018, 23:29 »
I agree with my old chum Mr Limpy Fish!

Also I think it should be made clear if the art is free for use in commercial products or freeware only.

CaptainD

• I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
    • CaptainD worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2018, 09:54 »
Also I think it should be made clear if the art is free for use in commercial products or freeware only.

+1

Would definitely be good to know.  Love the idea btw - I assume this is an offshoot of the MAGS Participation discussion?

Retro Wolf

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2018, 10:55 »
How about this one?

You're right Captain, that's where the idea came from. Even if it doesn't get used for MAGS it would still be useful.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2018, 10:57 by Retro Wolf »

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2018, 17:01 »
I just sent a few sprites and stuff in a folder.
Most of the stuff are fairly generic inventory and GUI elements as well as typical stock characters,
so they're nothing I'm too attached to and don't mind people using in their games, but I'd like to get credit for my work,
especially if anyone would use any of it in a commercial game.

It's sprites for the default AGS GUI, a few medieval-looking peasants, a scholar/sorcerer and a monk, a blue bird and some inventory items for an historical/fantasy adventure.

Retro Wolf

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2018, 15:13 »
Thank you DanVzare and Blondbraid!

This one allows for commercial.
I'm assuming I just post THIS LINK to the license in the original post, and in a readme text file in the download? There's also a logo to use.

Another reason for starting this project is that I have very little time for creative stuff, what with work and kids. Often I find myself looking through abandoned project files and just think of all the time I spent on them and nothing came of it. Sorting all these files together was sort of a release for me.

I think I'd like to get 2 or 3 more contributions before releasing.
Cheers!

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    •  
« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2018, 16:57 »
Thank you DanVzare and Blondbraid!
I'm glad to help :-D
Personally, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing someone else use my art.

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2018, 20:42 »
Happy to be of help!
Like Danvzare, I'm also curious to see whay my art will be used for! :)

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2018, 00:42 »
That's a great idea, thanks for taking the initiative to collect these contributions.
I have some stuff I can donate - glad they'll have a chance to actually be used for something instead of collecting dust.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to encourage people who use these resources for their games to link the AGS Trove thread in their completed game announcements so that more people can find it?

(Awesome logo btw :))

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
    • I can help with animation
    •  
    • I can help with backgrounds
    •  
    • I can help with characters
    •  
    •  
« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2018, 14:35 »
I'm currently using Inkscape to make graphics for my MAGS game, so I might be able to easily convert some of those for generic use.
And Tuesday I'm planning to spend a few days just playing around with Inkscape. So I can make some backgrounds and characters specifically for the trove.

Retro Wolf

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2018, 17:48 »
Thank you for the beautiful artwork Kastchey!

Perhaps it might be a good idea to encourage people who use these resources for their games to link the AGS Trove thread in their completed game announcements so that more people can find it?

Good idea, I was also thinking of asking people to consider donating after every MAGS and background blitz competition finishes.

Awesome logo btw

Cool thing about the logo, it only took me 5 minutes because I used assets from abandoned projects, the text is just the default AGS speech font. This is the power of the Trove!!

Looking forward to seeing your artwork VampireWombat!

NickyNyce

• ready...FIRE...aim
    • NickyNyce worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2018, 18:59 »
I will be donating all of my game assets from The Visitor series soon. Hopefully someone will find them useful. This is a great thing you're doing Retro Wolf.

Retro Wolf

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2018, 22:22 »
Cheers NickyNyce!

Kastchey left a little message in a text file along with his contribution, if anyone else wants to do that that's no problem.

Retro Wolf

« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2018, 19:52 »
I was going to hold out a bit longer for more content, but what with MAGS this month having a special rule allowing for this sort of stuff I thought I'd release it early. Download links at the bottom of the original post.

Kinkilla

•  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2018, 20:59 »
What a brilliant idea!
I'll check my files, maybe I find something for the trove.

NickyNyce

• ready...FIRE...aim
    • NickyNyce worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2018, 01:47 »
Lots of The Visitor assets have been donated. Hopefully someone can find some use for it. No credit needed and it may be used for whatever anyone wants to do with it. Happy Adventuring people of AGS. I would love to see some spin offs of the series. Donate to the trove people. For the love of Adventure games!

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2018, 08:39 »
Thanks RW for pulling this together and also thanks to all the contributors - I'm sure this will be a massively useful resource for years to come!

Would you be willing to consider expanding this to include SFX?  I have probably over a hundred sound effects that I've made for various games - some released, others not - which I could donate for others to use.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2018, 10:03 by CaptainD »

Retro Wolf

« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2018, 19:26 »
Great idea Captain! Please send them when you get the time.

Thanks to NickyNyce for donating, I'll be adding it to the next release. I was thinking about making a new download at the start of every month to coincide with each new MAGS, that's if Stupot decides to permanently change the rules and I keep getting enough new content.

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #19 on: 03 May 2018, 10:46 »
RW - I've sent you my SFX library.

In the end it came to 230 files.  These are quite a mixed bag, coming as they do from both completed games and games that never quite made it past the prototype stage.  A handful of MP3s with the rest OGG.  A few 8-bit style SFX in there.  Hopefully labelled in a relatively helpful way - anyway I hope someone finds them useful!