Alien Cow Rampage: Orion Needs Your Milk! (MAGS JUNE 2014)

Started by Ghost, Mon 07/07/2014 21:44:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Orion is home to a peaceful race of blue-skinned aliens who have made it their mission to provide the most delicious, refreshing, enjoyable drink to all of the universe: Milk, from Earthling cows. The Orionese are respected as the biggest providers of this creamy-white essence of all that is tasty in the universe.
As great as this sounds, your job as an Invader is much less glorious. But there's nothing else you'd ever want to do than visiting Earth, meet the benevolent cows on their own turf, and ensure that there is always milk.

Your last mission has just gone bad. After a crash you find yourself stranded- the mothership's far away and you have hardly any gear. But you're an Invader. You can still make this work.

Lost Craft presents:
Alien Cow Rampage: Orion Needs Your Milk!
A single player board game

Get ACRONYM Version 1.0.1!

In an original boardgame that could be described as the jumpsuit-clad cousin of Chainsaw Warrior and Munchkin, you're an alien on the run. Within 12 hours you need to make it through a mazy suburbs, abduct cows from heavily guarded pastures, and brave an Earthling military base in order to catch a ride on your mothership.
There is little time.
There are many dangers.
But you CAN make it, and there are always cows.

Roll dice! Flip through cards! Find the cameo! Play an actual board game, only on your computer!
No choking hazards despite small parts, and no cleaning up the table afterwards!

No, really, we totally come in peace! Want a milkshake?

Be an Invader! Pick your class, roll your stats, and crash-land into adventure!

Abduct cows! Their milk is udderly delicious!

Fight, Stun or simply charm trigger-happy teenagers, gun-crazy ranchers, and the Men In Black!

Avoid devious, nefarious, ingenious Earthling traps!

Please note that this game was made for MAGS (June 2014, theme "Alien Invasion") It was literally invented, designed, and written within 4 weeks. It's a robust and fun little game but it lacks the balance that any solo board game needs in order to really shine- I hope to add much of that based on player feedback, and would love to improve this little romp through a world where the milk must flow.

Lots of thanks to all my brave testers, and a big hooray for JasonB, who provided some kickass music!

Enjoy (nod)

DoorKnobHandle

Nooooo I wasn't fast enough with my beta testing for this I guess, sorry!!!

This is an AMAZING game, very well done Ghost! I enjoyed my time with it greatly, you have the ability to make up these wonderful settings and universes and combine them with super cute and awesome graphics! This is well worth a try-out!

arj0n

Whoo, a lost craft production. A boardgame, interesting :) downloading

Tabata

„Yeah! Let's get ready to rumble!“
... with cows through time and space ...

Congrats for releasing this ingenious game, Ghost!

Now I am off to dice for cow pushing
… and then „the cow jumped over the moon ...“   :grin:

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

selmiak

my warrior almost died from this mean earthlingish chickenwire but then I survived long enough to be shot by a farmer :-D

AprilSkies

Amazing and brilliant game indeed!
Well Done Ghost, Well Done!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Cassiebsg

Ahhhhmmmm... cough... cough... cough...
Guess I find bugs everywhere... sorry...

I just run and crashed the game (first try for both even!)

Spoiler

Was trying to run in windowed mode with both sounds off (guess no one thinks of checking for 'no sound' bugs? )

I got the following crash info:
in "room1.asc", line 19
Error: Error running function 'room_AfterFadeIn':
Error: Null pointer referenced

[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Tabata

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 08/07/2014 16:44:30
... (guess no one thinks of checking for 'no sound' bugs? )
Noooooo!
Bugs didn't receive a visa for that game  (wrong)
It's a feature! (nod)
It ensures that the game is playable only with the cool sound enabled  :grin:  ;)

AprilSkies

Spoiler

Was trying to run in windowed mode with both sounds off (guess no one thinks of checking for 'no sound' bugs? )

in "room1.asc", line 19

[close]

It's the same "bug" you found in my last mags game.
The line with error it's for sure an in-game volume changing or something related to audio file playing.

Did you turn off the music using Winsetup? If yes don't do it. Turno off the music in-game (if there's a GUI for that, on't remember now).
I hope it hepls ;)

Cassiebsg

Yup, I realize it's the same 'bug'... ;)
It's just the 1st thing I do when running an AGS game... winsetup -> run in window mode -> off sounds...
No disrespect with sounds, it's just that I'm sharing the screen with my son while he watches cartoons on youtube, and I just need to turn the sound off before the game starts... (hidden rambling to follow. ;)
Spoiler
(otherwise the volume is just incredibly high, and I can't find the volume setting in windows to only turn that one down... must be another of those Win7 "features"; just hide and trow away, everything the user knows, so he feels he need to get a new course in using windows and stuff!)
Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Ghost

Was trying to run in windowed mode with both sounds off (guess no one thinks of checking for 'no sound' bugs?
in "room1.asc", line 19

That is correct, you're crashing the game the first time it tries to play a sound file. IIRC this is a very rare thing- not really a bug but an inconsistency in AGS. I got it reported once, from a user running a different game of mine on a non-Windows system. Personally I have no idea how to fix that- AGS states that any sound failing to load is just "quietly ignored" and you are the first one to report that crash.

I'm using default settings for sound and adding an options panel wasn't my first priority for a MAGS game, but I'll make one.

(I admit that I personally use that little volume knob on my speaker more often than the volume sliders in any game ;-D )

Cassiebsg

In normal situations I would also, if it wasn't for my son (I'm sure he would complain if I turned off the sound LOL).

CaptainD

I so want to see the feature-length animated movie of this. 8-)

selmiak

Ghost

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 08/07/2014 21:52:34
I so want to see the feature-length animated movie of this. 8-)
Quote from: selmiak on Tue 08/07/2014 21:56:18
I'm only in it for the cow tossing!

Can I quote that on the coverbox?

--

And to answer a couple of chat/pm/mail questions:

Are the decks random?
No. The cards in each deck are always the same; they are just shuffled into a random sequence. You will, for example, always find 3 Teenagers in the Suburbs.
They are just at random positions.

Where does equipment come from?
Weapons, Armour, and Gadgets are drawn from three (invisible) Stockpile Decks. There are 8 unique weapon bits in a Stockpile of 8, 8 unique armour bits in a Stockpile
of 10, and 11 unique gadgets in a Stockpile of 40.

Do the class skills use differently weighted dice?
Again, no. The game uses the same die for every class; it's a custom D6 with 4 "success" and 2 "fail" icons.

selmiak

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 08/07/2014 23:07:54
Can I quote that on the coverbox?

Sure, I always wanted to have a quote from me on a coverbox 8-)

AprilSkies

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 08/07/2014 21:56:18
I'm only in it for the cow tossing!

Awww, so you're using the trooper! Great choice! Great vitality, very good for battles!

Ghost

Quote from: AprilSkies on Wed 09/07/2014 10:44:56
Great vitality, very good for battles!

The Trooper is also the potentially fasted character in the end-game: Since winning a fight moves on instantly a well-equipped Trooper can steamroll the Gauntlet if he doesn't run into
a trap too early. In the Gauntlet, the Trooper can outrun the Scout regardless of AGIlity and, arguably, is faster than a Cadet relying on First Contact, which balances his less-impressive speed during the buildup phase.

Vincent

Congrats for this releasing Ghost !
The game is very well done ! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk