Translator found spelling errors [solved]

Started by HandsFree, Fri 11/07/2014 11:07:51

Previous topic - Next topic

HandsFree

A Russian translator is working on my Black Sect remake and found a few spelling errors. So I'm wondering how to deal with that. If I fix the errors now, I assume the translation won't recognize those lines anymore. Is that correct?
What if the translator changes the the English lines in the .trs file and I change the lines in the source before I compile the translation, would that work?

Suggestions?

Khris

Correct.
The second method would work, afaik a translation source is simply a two column dictionary, and AGS uses hash values to look up the translated version.
If the errors in the English lines are fixed in the source and the game itself, AGS won't be (and would have no way to be) the wiser.

selmiak

dunno, if you change a .Say command ingame, AGS will produce another line for the changed sentence in the trs file, so you have some lines that look similar in the trs file while some of these are not even used in the game anymore. The translator just has to translate the last line and/or copy+paste his translation to all versions of the one line to be on the safe side. but please report back if it works.

edit: make a backup of the translation file up to the point where you start changing the original lines ;)

Khris

AGS will only add lines if you manually update the translation source; compiling a translation where original lines were changed doesn't.
I tested this with a default game. I first changed the original line in the translation source. Then I ran the game with the translation and AGS simply fell back to the original line since it could no longer find it in the tra file.
Then I changed the line in the game script, too, and ran the game again. This time, I once again got the translated sentence.

So not only will it work fine, making a mistake does not crash the game and finding changes one has missed in the game itself is easy since the line will show up in the wrong language.

selmiak

I see. This works with a finished game. Try adding only one more line of dialoge, then you have to generate a new .trs file to have that line included too. The new line of course and also the changed line will be added to the end of the .trs. This also takes the changed line out of context for longer games but is probably the best way to handle trs files.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk