Multiple dialogs at once

Started by lilinuyasha, Mon 21/07/2014 20:48:18

Previous topic - Next topic

lilinuyasha

Hey there. I was wondering if it was possible to have multiple dialogs going on at once. For example, have the annoying character speak in the background while the other two characters talk for a bit and then try to get away. Is that possible? Do I just start a dialog within a dialog?
I can Fluently speak Braille. I obtained a swiss army knife...From the Turkish Navy. My hands feel like rich brown suede. My blood smells like cologne. I AM Trey Love, The most Interesting Man in the World.

Khris

The whole point of dialogs is implementing dialog choices, where the user can select how a conversation progresses.

Everything else can be done with Character.Say and Character.SayBackground, which is meant to display non-blocking speech. Unfortunately it doesn't also animate the character, so depending on how exactly you want this to work, you'll have to refer to one of the dozens of existing help topics about this issue.

lilinuyasha

I tried the whole "saybackground" command, but when I do, it skips the dialog completely and resumes with the next "Pinkie:asjfags" dialog line. I've resigned to just having her speak inbetween the characters, but is there a way to just have her background talk IN a dialog?
I can Fluently speak Braille. I obtained a swiss army knife...From the Turkish Navy. My hands feel like rich brown suede. My blood smells like cologne. I AM Trey Love, The most Interesting Man in the World.

Ghost

Not tested, but you can call scripting commands from within dialog. Indent with (at least) two spaces, then enter a SayBackground command. Should work okay.

Player: A piiirate I was meant to be...
  cEnpeCe.SayBackground("Hah, says he!");
Player: ... all your base are belong to meeeee!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk