Danger Mouse [DEMO NOW AVAILABLE]

Started by Dadalus, Wed 06/08/2014 11:22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Dadalus

For those who guessed...

Danger Mouse

The Story:

Become the worlds greatest detective/spy Danger Mouse aided and abetted by his faithful assistant Penfold. Thrill as he battles the evil Baron Greenback to save the world (again). Based on the 80s cartoon of the same name.

Some screenshots:

Video promo for the demo (just a teaser only minor spoilers)

[embed=420,315]http://youtu.be/nbJIxgwId-g[/embed]

The demo can be downloaded from this link: DANGER MOUSE DEMO

Development Progress:

Story: 40%
Scripting: 35%
Graphics: 50%
Sound/Music: 20%

Expected completion date: August 2015

Development Diary:

August 6th 2014

The game is very much in its early stages, the germ of a story has begun to grow in my fevered little brain. Progress is slow as I have never used AGS before and am trying to fully understand how things work before adding them. I am giving myself a year to complete the task, though I hope to be finished much sooner.

August 13th 2014

Created some more backgounds. Trying to come up with female characters to add in as DM has very few. Done some work on walkcycle for DM and Penfold.

August 20th 2014

Mostly been working on scripting. Complete rewrite of the way I was dealing with using repeat_execute so that the game does only one action per cycle (dramatic speed improvement). Worked on creating speech bubble that changes size .

Also I have completed drafting a dependency chart & I have planned out dialog/story for the first section of the game.

August 27th 2014

Have designed a couple of new female characters, and have worked on a new background. The work I did using dependency charts has led to me working on an internal system that handles puzzles which should lead to fewer bugs. I'm working on a test game to flesh out my theories. Work on game scripting will halt until I have the system in place.

September 3rd 2014.

De-cluttered main post by removing some screenshots.

Added several new backgrounds to game, and one new character. Work on puzzle system nearly complete, integrating it into the main game this week. Worked on story, and have second section plotted.

September 10th 2014

Puzzle system completed and integrated into main game. Further work needed to make this a rapid development tool but that can wait until after game completion. Working on scripting first section of game, using placeholder graphics where necessary. I aim to have this completed by the end of this month.

September 24th 2014

No progress last week needed a break. Adding the scripting using the puzzle system I devised is slow, I may have to build a tool to help with this even though I wanted to wait until after the game is completed. I am also working on completing the backgrounds for the first section of the game.

October 8th 2014

Been working on building a tool to help with the scripting needed for my puzzle system. Alternating between that and backgrounds (depending on which I get stuck/bored with).

October 16th 2014

95% of backgrounds/characters for first section of the game (which will also be the demo) are completed. Working on animations (which will probably just be basic for the demo). The demo will be used to refine the approach for the rest of the game.

October 22nd 2014

100% of backgrounds/characters/objects completed for first section of game. I have a team of testers waiting in the wings to help me refine the demo. There will be no further updates until the demo release.

November 23rd 2014

Demo passed to testers. Working on refining and debugging for general release.

December 4th 2014

Demo released.
This has been a 'Mouse fetishist' approved message.

CaptainD

Wow this looks great!  Used to love Danger Mouse as a kid.

I take it Baron Greenback is behind whatever dastardly plan is happening?

AnasAbdin

This is awesome! Can't wait to see Tabata's reaction :-D

Dadalus

Yes Baron Greenback is the main villain, at the moment my idea for the game is to set it as 'episodes' each feeding into the next 'episode' and the overall plot. To be clear this is not going to be a series of games, I mean as in TV episodes (this way the announcer comes into play, and lets face it he's why we watched).

Some characters I hope to use...

monkey424

"Oh crumbs!"

Looks COOL!

Intense Degree

Brilliant!

If this game contains Nanny smashing through a wall shouting "I'll get it duckypoos" then it already has my vote for game of the year! :=

Dadalus

Quote from: Intense Degree on Wed 06/08/2014 14:27:46
If this game contains Nanny smashing through a wall shouting "I'll get it duckypoos" then it already has my vote for game of the year! :=

It wasn't going to, but after nearly laughing myself on to the floor at the thought of it I'll have to put it in somewhere.

Nanny was going to appear in an segment of the game called 'The Final Countdown' (think of the old joke 'how do you get down from an elephant?'). Sort of a cross between 'Countdown' & 'Castle Duckula'. I'll fit it in there (somehow). Nanny in dictionary corner prehaps...

Fitz

I've maybe seen one or two episodes of Danger Mouse, but oh I loved Count Duckula. Ducks are the ultimate comedic cartoon characters.

Also, loved the elephant joke (laugh)

Tabata

YEAH! That's great!         
Finally someone who recognizes the infinite possibilities and the diversity of a mouse being the main protagonist for an adventure game!  :grin:

Mice are allrounder and capable unto all jobs (nod)
Spoiler

[close]
Looks really good - can't wait for your game to get finished!
You got a fan already!   
Best of luck for your project! 

Lasca

Oh yes!!! Looks great!!

selmiak

Now this is going to be interesting! On my watchlist!

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Stupot

Best of luck man. I love DM as a kid (and still love Countdown (laugh) )

Dadalus

Thanks for the enthusiastic responses, I'm fired up and raring to get this done.

To Tabata : My hope is that in future when someone is asked 'Are you a mouse or a man?' the correct response will be 'squeak'.

Perhaps someone out there can help, Ive been trying to find subtitles for episodes of Danger Mouse but cant locate any. I'm beginning to think that they don't exist, but if anyone comes across any please let me know.

CaptainD

Quote from: Dadalus on Wed 06/08/2014 22:13:35
Perhaps someone out there can help, Ive been trying to find subtitles for episodes of Danger Mouse but cant locate any. I'm beginning to think that they don't exist, but if anyone comes across any please let me know.

http://www.subtitleseeker.com/0081848/Danger+Mouse/Tv-Subtitles/

Dadalus

Thanks CaptainD but that site doesn't have any actual subtitles for Danger Mouse (I have done searches on most subtitle sites). The ones it says are for Danger Mouse give you subtitles for something else. Thanks for the effort though.

Darth Mandarb

Let's keep the subtitles links (and things like that) in PMs ... otherwise this thread will get way too cluttered.

Dadalus

The reason I'm looking for subtitles is I had an idea about using the original voices and I didn't want to have to transcribe 90 episodes.

Darth is right, should have asked people to PM me.

Anyway for those that are interested in viewing some backgrounds that are wider than the 640x400 resolution the game is in heres a link.

http://imgur.com/a/Oelri

Slasher

I think you SHOULD have some of your own originality in here somewhere....nice as the game looks and sounds.

Good luck with this project ;)

Dadalus

I get what your saying Slasher, I'm aiming for a sort of 'Dead men don't wear plaid' sort of thing, mixing and mashing lines together. At the moment I'm proceeding with lines of dialog and a story inspired by the original episodes. I'm writing it without worrying if lines from the source would fit. Just thought it might be nice to have some of the original voices in there, but its starting to look like a lot of work for very little result.

The game is supposed to be as close to the original source as possible but with hopefully new and unexpected elements.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk