Homemade Ginger Beer

Started by Mandle, Mon 11/08/2014 03:11:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Well...I've started my first brewing experiment with homemade ginger beer, of the alcoholic variety ;)...

I've been following the recipe/instructions on this site:

CLICK HERE

I mixed up and bottled the mixure 2 days ago in two 2-liter plastic PET bottles, and placed in my garden shed.

I had an inkling that I had put in too much yeast, and boy was I right :-[

Yesterday I checked on the bottles and they were already swollen, which is supposed to take 48 hours, not 24 hours like in my case.

So I released the caps a little and let off some of the gas pressure. The mixture fizzed and foamed up quite nicely. So far so good.

This morning I checked again and the bottles were really swollen again already.

I tried releasing the gas again and...

BANG!!!... the caps shot off into the air about 20 feet at the barest twist and the mix shot out like champagne after you give the bottle a good shake...Think F1 racing champion style!!!

Scared me (and the neighbors I'd say) half to death!!!

Well, I managed to save about half the mix...so about 1 liter saved out of the original 2...

It's now in the fridge where the cooling is supposed to deactivate the yeast. Hopefully this happens or my fridge explodes I guess (laugh)

I did have a taste of it before fridging though and it was quite good! Nice and spicy with a light fizz...Gonna be good over ice later tonight I think. Not sure of alcohol level yet, but a mouthful gave me a slight buzz so it's in there for sure. Just don't know how strong yet.

"It passed the first test though: I didn't go blind!" ~ Homer J. Simpson

So yeah...first experiment...lesson learned: WAAAAAAAY too much yeast!!!

Will have another attempt tomorrow after I sample and rate this first batch tonight...Once I get the technique down pat I'm gonna go massive scale and brew enough for a big party with friends towards the end of summer 8-)

Has anyone else brewed ginger beer (or other alcohol) at home? What were your experiences? Any advice to share?

Mandle

Just had my first chilled glass of the stuff...Couldn't wait until night-time...

It was niiiiiice...

The ginger and chilli pepper mixes were perfect...Very spicey, which always goes nice over ice in the summertime...

The fizz was too light though, but still there...That would be from wasting most of it on the volcano effect when I tried to release the gas earlier :-[

And yeah...the alcohol content was pretty strong...Might go and take a bit of a lie down right now...

Next batch coming up after a nap and a bit of thought...

For now: Note to self:

RULE #1: Don't put in 5 times too much yeast next time!!!

selmiak

I tried to make cherry wine. But sadly there were some small maggots in the cherries already so they ate all they could of the yeast and grew very fast and probably had the intoxication of their life. It looked very yuk and noone wanted to drink it then though ;)
Growing weed is easier  :-D

Retro Wolf

I can get yeast for free from work, I'm tempted to give it a try!
I'd have to keep it small scale though, I doubt the wife would approve...

I LOLed at BANG!

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 11/08/2014 10:29:45
I tried to make cherry wine. But sadly there were some small maggots in the cherries already so they ate all they could of the yeast and grew very fast and probably had the intoxication of their life. It looked very yuk and noone wanted to drink it then though ;)
Growing weed is easier  :-D

You should have said:

"Why you little maggot, you make me want to vomit." ~ Drill Sergeant Hartman

Yeah...tried the weed growing thing back in my day...Guess I just don't have a green thumb...Never worked...

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Mon 11/08/2014 12:06:58
I can get yeast for free from work, I'm tempted to give it a try!

What's your work? ...Baker? ...Gynecologist?

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Mon 11/08/2014 12:06:58
I LOLed at BANG!

So did I...after I went and changed my undies...(laugh)

Retro Wolf

Baker, though freelance Gynaecology has always been a dream of mine.

Slasher

I remember a friend's dad who was into making his own wine and beer back in the 60's.

His ginger beer could strip wallpaper (laugh)

I really enjoyed a glass or two ;)

Baron

Have we really gone so low as distilling our own moonshine?  This can only go baaaaaaad places. 

Count me in. ;)

Mati256

I'm tempted to try this, but we are in winter now, so I don't know of many warm places to keep the bottle for 48h.
My Blog! (En Español)

Mandle

Quote from: Mati256 on Tue 12/08/2014 02:35:49
I'm tempted to try this, but we are in winter now, so I don't know of many warm places to keep the bottle for 48h.

Wow...I'm surprised nobody jumped on this one...Kinda left yourself wide open there Mati (laugh)

Baron

The crack at the back of your fridge is usually a pretty warm place. 

Edit:  btw "fridge" is Canadian slang for "bum".  I thought that was common knowledge.... (roll)

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Tue 12/08/2014 03:27:15
The crack at the back of your fridge is usually a pretty warm place.

Might be a tad dangerous though if one of the bottles explodes. It could short out the fridge and start a fire I guess.

I think putting the bottles in double or triple plastic baggies and tying them shut would prevent splashage though. Just remember as well: Glass bottles are a big no-no!

Mandle

I've just made the second batch mixture and bottled it...This time with the recommended amount of yeast instead of trying to eyeball it like last time ;)

Last time I used two 1-liter bottles. This time I'm using one 2-liter bottle. I will see if that also makes a difference as it's what the recipe suggests.

As for the last batch:

Had a couple of glasses of it last night after dinner, over ice, with the wife. It was quite nice, even she said so.

The taste was nice and gingery with a little kick from the chilli peppers. Not much evidence of the lemon juice or honey in the taste, but I think the lemon juice is there for a different reason. The lemon juice is to help kill any rogue bacteria that got in the bottle as I understand it. And maybe the honey got too eaten up by the overkill of yeast...

A bit too light on the fizz but I'm assuming that was because of the mentos and cola show I put on in the back yard with it earlier :-[

I'd estimate alcohol content around 4% ..... so about the same as regular lightish beer...

I will check the pressure on the second batch tomorrow about 24 hours from now and see what's what :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk