Game Stretches Display After Rebuild

Started by SilverSpook, Wed 03/09/2014 04:16:20

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpook

I'm trying to get the game from stretching the display each time I rebuild.  It seems I have to go into "game settings" after building and reselect "2x filtering" before running the game or it reverts to no sidebars and stretched display.  Just wondering if there's a workaround for this since it becomes kind of tedious when you're doing a lot of building and running.

Khris

Are you saying acsetup.cfg is deleted or created anew when you rebuild your game? That's really odd and shouldn't happen at all.

Try this: in AGS press F7, then open the compiled folder and run winsetup.exe, set the filtering to x2. Save.
Rebuild the game (F7 or "rebuild all files"). Check the compiled folder; did acsetup disappear? If not and you open winsetup, does it still say "x2"?

Snarky

Here's a previous thread about the same issue (or at least a similar one): http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49941

According to Radiant, the config file (indeed, the whole Compiled folder) is deleted any time you edit a room. Which is a bit of a WTF.

Khris

I can't confirm this at all; opening a game and editing then saving a room didn't have any effect on the compiled folder.
When I opened General Settings, changed the game's name, then pressed Ctrl-S, all that happened was the test translation disappeared; acsetup.cfg, the game exe and winsetup.exe remained unchanged. (3.2.1)

I also found that closing a game updates the modified time stamp of acsetup.cfg. But rebuilding or saving doesn't reset it in any way and never has for me. Having to reset the filter whenever you rebuild the game is such an annoyance; if this actually happened, people would have complained about it a long time ago.

There must be something wrong with SilverSpook's setup, or it's a user error.

Snarky

It's definitely something I've experienced. Not every time I rebuild, but frequently. The compiled folder is deleted, and so the cfg file is gone.

It's of course quite possible that it's possible to avoid, but I don't think you can call it "user error": the compiled folder shouldn't be deleted by the IDE... ever, IMO (though files should of course be overwritten), unless the user invokes some sort of "clean" command. If the cause isn't known I guess I'll investigate further.

Khris

This never happened to me; after certain changes the exe file disappears, but I never had the entire Compiled folder or the setup file disappear on me.

In case it matters: in my Preferences, the first option is set to "Use game setup configuration".

SilverSpook

So far it appears that changing to "Use game setup configuration" in preferences has fixed the issue.  Thanks! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk