Did anyone else know about EWIs?

Started by LRH, Tue 30/09/2014 20:07:08

Previous topic - Next topic

LRH

Deleted link to old video- sorry.

Adeel

I didn't know that there existed such an instrument. Given its versatility, I might buy it at some point.  I've heard this instrument in action on many ghazals such as this one, though (might be NSFW - depends upon how strict your boss is):

Spoiler

I might be completely wrong. There may not be an EWI even being played in this ghazal, yet it does sound like that.

LRH

It's really hard to tell, honestly.  The EWI I've been using uses the SFZ file format.  There are literally thousands of free SFZ instruments available online, so it's hard to tell the difference between what I've got and other potential sound fonts.

Babar

I hate to sound like a grumpy downer, but does it really serve any purpose? I mean, it is just the novelty of a "mouth/wind control" attached to a synthesiser, right? And surely there are more finely tuned methods of control than blowing?
I mean, technically, there are an infinite number of methods of control you could put in front of the synthesiser- music generated by eyeball-tracking, music generated by strategically punching, music generated by spitting in specific jars, etc. In the end, what you want to look for is the most fine-tuned method of control, which in real time would probably be something like a synthesiser keyboard, and otherwise it'd be modifying the music manually on a computer or something.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

LRH

Quote from: Babar on Thu 02/10/2014 10:12:00
In the end, what you want to look for is the most fine-tuned method of control, which in real time would probably be something like a synthesiser keyboard, and otherwise it'd be modifying the music manually on a computer or something.

Its usefulness for me comes from the fact that I've got no idea how to properly play the keyboard, and I really don't like using programs to write out the music.  I'd rather play it myself.  Since I'm much better at the saxophone than the piano, this is a much more accurate controller for me, personally.    This controller allows me to return to using a medium I am comfortable with in order to play basically any instrument I'd like- in other words it's not necessarily *for* (in my case, anyway) hyper-accurate composition. Actually, though, as I use it more and more, I find it very accurate.  In any case, it's just a means for me to return to doing something I love to do.

bicilotti

Quote from: Domithan on Thu 02/10/2014 14:43:39
Its usefulness for me comes from the fact that I've got no idea how to properly play the keyboard, and I really don't like using programs to write out the music.  I'd rather play it myself.  Since I'm much better at the saxophone than the piano, this is a much more accurate controller for me, personally.    This controller allows me to return to using a medium I am comfortable with in order to play basically any instrument I'd like- in other words it's not necessarily *for* (in my case, anyway) hyper-accurate composition. Actually, though, as I use it more and more, I find it very accurate.  In any case, it's just a means for me to return to doing something I love to do.

Amen! :cheesy:

And please share a video-session with us, I am quite curious to see this in the wild.

LRH

Deleted old video of playing the EWI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk