October Tune Contest - Contrafacts (closes 30th October)

Started by Diamond16, Sat 04/10/2014 06:33:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Diamond16

According to Wikipedia: In jazz, a contrafact is a musical composition consisting of a new melody overlaid on a familiar harmonic structure. Contrafact can also be explained as the use of borrowed chord progressions.

As a compositional device, it was of particular importance in the 1940s development of bop, since it allowed jazz musicians to create new pieces for performance and recording on which they could immediately improvise, without having to seek permission or pay publisher fees for copyrighted materials (while melodies can be copyrighted, the underlying harmonic structure cannot be).

Your task: take the chord structure from an existing piece of game music and compose a new melody for it. You may change the style, tempo, time signature and dynamics to suit your needs but the underlying harmony must remain unchanged.

Please include a link to the original song with your entry.

Erenan

I picked out a track and am now pondering what to do with it. :-D
The Bunker

Erenan

I don't like what I have going for this task. Plus, I have not been very motivated to work. :sad:

I might be able to get this thing done but I'll probably have to rush it to make the deadline. :undecided:
The Bunker

Erenan

I'm done, but it's an ugly mess:

The Toxicorps

Based on the Mad Forest theme from Castlevania III: YouTube
The Bunker

Diamond16

Great track Erenan. The combination of the dramatic percussion and the synths makes it sound like it should be played at a taped-off research facility.

With no competition, I declare you the winner, congratulations! :-D

Erenan

Hehe, thanks! Too bad there weren't any other entries. This was a nice theme. Anyway, I'll start a new contest now. :)
The Bunker

Gilbert

Congratulations to Erenan for becoming another Grand Slam winner!:cheesy:

Erenan

Yay! I only wish there had been some competition for this third one. :-\
The Bunker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk