When will 1080p be ready!

Started by sillytoon, Sun 19/10/2014 21:52:32

Previous topic - Next topic

sillytoon

Just a quick question. I'm jumping in and out of here, and learning on youtube all things AGS. I know custom resolutions are available in test versions. Since I can't put technical skills into this, can someone tell me approximately when there will be a stable release, where I can use a screen resolution of 1920x1080. The resolution is an absolute must for me, so I'm definitely willing to wait it out. Any info on this would be very useful to me. Thank you!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: sillytoon on Sun 19/10/2014 21:52:32
Just a quick question. I'm jumping in and out of here, and learning on youtube all things AGS. I know custom resolutions are available in test versions. Since I can't put technical skills into this, can someone tell me approximately when there will be a stable release, where I can use a screen resolution of 1920x1080. The resolution is an absolute must for me, so I'm definitely willing to wait it out. Any info on this would be very useful to me. Thank you!
There should be the next alpha release with custom resolutions in couple of days (I was planning today, but some things delayed me).
Regarding stability, it is not an easy question. The release may already be stable, unless the developers (me included) screwed something up again :). But the "final official" release might take longer, because there are more features we wanted to add there; as long as several months maybe.

Usually we fix new bugs pretty fast, so if there are problems with the new build we release a hotfix with a short delay.

BTW, imho this topic belongs to development forum section, and not Beginners Questions.

cat

You should take into consideration that not everyone can display 1920x1080 (I can't).

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Sun 19/10/2014 22:04:32
You should take into consideration that not everyone can display 1920x1080 (I can't).
The new version supports downscaling.
I remember I tested downscaled 1920x1080 demo game someone did on 1680x1050 monitor, and that looked about as good.
Scaling further down does not look as good though... especially fonts which may easily become unreadable (unfortunately AGS does not support automatic font size correction) :(.

sillytoon

That's great news - I'll be looking for the download - can you tell me where it will be. There are several places in the forum I noticed download links.

cat - It will be a long time before I actually get anything done, but I'm making larger pixel thin graphics. It's nothing spectacular, but at 1920x1080 it's very smooth and in my opinion easy on the eyes. Also, are you serious? Or do you mean you use a laptop. It's hard to imagine less than 1920x1080 monitors today.

Another question - Will 1920x1080 impact game speed? I know there is a DirectX setting. Will I want to use DirectDraw? Or do you guys have a thread where you discuss performance issues?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: sillytoon on Sun 19/10/2014 22:13:24
That's great news - I'll be looking for the download - can you tell me where it will be. There are several places in the forum I noticed download links.
When it will be released, the post will be made in this forum section:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=18.0

New version is supposed to be called something like 3.4.0.1.

cat - It will be a long time before I actually get anything done, but I'm making larger pixel thin graphics. It's nothing spectacular, but at 1920x1080 it's very smooth and in my opinion easy on the eyes. Also, are you serious? Or do you mean you use a laptop. It's hard to imagine less than 1920x1080 monitors today.
I have 1680x1050 myself.
Also, many people here are low-res graphics fans. :)

Another question - Will 1920x1080 impact game speed?
Regarding the speed, the latest discussion I remember was this: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49014.msg636494649#msg636494649
I must be honest, this feature was experimental until recent times, and I did not do much speed/quality tests myself. Yet some people are already making games in  1080p mode for a while.

I know there is a DirectX setting. Will I want to use DirectDraw?
AGS currently supports two renderers: software one (also known as DirectDraw, but that's actually not "real" DirectDraw with full hardware support), and hardware one which uses Direct3D9. (There is also OpenGL renderer, but it is not fully complete and is used only on mobile ports).
I would not recommend you to rely on software renderer at all. It has its issues with modern systems, and also VERY slow compare to Direct3D9.

sillytoon

Ok, excellent thanks everyone. I'll post another question in one of the other forums about what 1920x1080 games are available, so i can check them out.

devs - Keep up the great work.

Gilbert

I actually use a 17" CRT at home, with only 1280x1024@60Hz max. :tongue:
My desktop is set to 1024x768 though, as 60Hz is not good for daily consumption.

Also, the panel I use at work is a crappy 15" LCD, with only 1024x768@60Hz max.

Full HD is actually not that common as people think.

Adeel

Like cat and Iceboty V7000a, I can't display Full HD Resolution. Heck, my LCD can't even display 1600x1200.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk