Trying out Linux

Started by sillytoon, Sun 02/11/2014 08:34:38

Previous topic - Next topic

sillytoon

I am just now exploring the use of AGS with Linux, so this is my first stop. I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and I have a couple of questions.

What is the difference between AGS Engine and AGS Editor as far as Linux is concerned. What is the actual process of creating a game. Are there native builds of AGS Engine and Editor for Linux? Is it all Wine Emulation? So basically, it's a start for me. What should I do. What should I download? In the forums, in the development section, there are several links, but they detail the dev process of the components, so it's a little confusing.

If you develop on Linux (make games), what can you tell me?

monkey0506

While there are plans to eventually get the editor (design-time IDE) fully compatible with Mono for cross-platform compatibility, that's still a fair way off (because there is still some extensive use of native, non-managed C++ code that doesn't play nicely with Mono). There are some reports of successfully running the editor on Linux using Wine, but it's experimental and unsupported at best.

As for the engine (run-time, which actually executes and plays your game), there is a fairly stable port for Linux, though there have been some recent reports of issues. Your mileage may vary, but the more confirmed reports we get of the same problem the higher a priority it will become, and the easier it should become to diagnose and track down.

If you're interested in trying out AGS for Linux, I've just released a custom version of the editor that allows targeting Linux. Keep in mind the editor is currently designed for Windows-only design-time, but this produces the necessary run-time files to play your game on Linux (in the Compiled/Linux folder when you build your game (from the editor), you can run the executable script (from Linux) with your game's name).

RickJ

There are two choices for development in Linux, WINE or VirtualBox/VMWARE.  I had good results using VirtualBox and wrote a tutorial several years ago.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=39118.msg596034#msg596034

Since then WINE has improved, with regard to AGS, and people have also reported success.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk