Just had a game idea...

Started by faerieevenstar, Fri 07/11/2014 20:49:42

Previous topic - Next topic

faerieevenstar

..I'm putting it here as it's pretty much that I just watched a programme on TV about something and my brain went "OMG if that's not the background and setting for an adventure game, it should be" and I ran here to share...

Basically the program follows underground places in Britain, and one of the places they went in this show was the Williamson Tunnels under Liverpool. A rich and slightly eccentric guy, known to be quite religious and a bit paranoid about the apocalypse, built miles and miles of tunnels under his house. Some say it was an act of philanthropy to employ people who would be jobless otherwise, but it contains gothic arches, and is done with such beauty and care it could almost be an underground church...

This is where my Adventure Gamer brain kicks in. Perhaps he wasn't crazy? Maybe he knew the apocalypse WAS coming. Maybe we haven't found all the tunnels and it conceals hidden rooms for a secret cult?!? The mind boggles with the places this COULD go..

Some reading about the real history etc and not my crazy ideas:

http://www.williamsontunnels.com/
http://www.williamsontunnels.co.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamson_Tunnels

As I was awesome enough to share this idea, if anyone makes the game, I'd love to be part of it, but I'm a noob so it only felt right to share and not keep it to myself :) Everyone likes a mystery adventure based on some true history in a spooky English city, right? :tongue: Or maybe I get over excited because I love hidden underground tunnels and abandoned architecture, but I got excited (laugh)

PS if you're in the UK you may be able to watch the programme on demand. It's a Channel 5 programme called Underground Britain, and this was episode 3 of the series.
http://www.channel5.com/shows/underground-britain/episodes/episode-3-613

Wyz

Very interesting!
I must admit I have a weak spot for neglected buildings and 'urban exploring' (I've done my share as a kid :X) but yes it is a very interesting setting!

Of course the number one point of excitement for a game like that would be: what will you find? There could potentially be anything down there: ritual artefacts, strange machines,... treasure ;) One thing popped in my mind immediately but I don't want to spoil it; if someone is interested in making a game like this: you can ask me by PM.
You need to keep the suspense as long as possible; don't uncover what it is until the end but give hints during the game that are really obvious when you know (and only when you know) what is exactly down there.

Another interesting thing is that this is an actual place and they still haven't uncovered everything so you can tap into the public mystery; then you should probably also get in contact with the foundation I guess.  ;)

Sorry for hijacking your idea like that but I though it was interesting and that gets the creative juices going. ;)

Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Monsieur OUXX

Yoink!

(that's the sound of me stealing this idea)

(for this)
    |
    |
    |
    |
  \ | /
    v

m0ds

A bit like the Denver airport conspiracy. When they built it they even included apocalyptic murals in the lobby. Weirdos!

faerieevenstar

Seriously, if people are using this idea, I want to be part of it, as I brought it here 8-)

I'm glad it gives other people adventure game vibes too :D I agree on the "wtf is going on" vibe RIGHT until the end. Clues pointing in confusing ways, but if you replay it you  go "OMG THAT WAS OBVIOUS!". I think this is a basic skeleton of an idea you could run with like a loony :D

That Denver Airport one is new to me, and equally cool :O  that mural is cool and terrifying all at once o_0

faerieevenstar

I Googled for more of those Denver Airport Murals and they are mental. Imagine if you merged that idea with the Williamson Tunnels?! Though the Williamson tunnels are much, much older.

I may be being weird, but I think the Williamson Tunnels deserve a whole game about just that not being plopped as a side part of another game, but as I shared publicly, I suppose I have no right to say what happens to my idea at all!

EDIT to add more.

Another thing, slightly nicked from another part of the same program was that they visited another underground tunnel system, with an enormous shaft that goes under the North Sea, as deep as is safe to go, there are mines for potash, and inside those mines, there are deep underground research science facilities. They literally descended this huge lift, right down towards the earth's core, so far it's quite warm down there, then drove in a land rover about 6 miles through winding tunnels to this research facility... it was mental. I could imagine getting lost navigating the tunnels, and trying to enter this locked facility in a game. They needed this place to research dark matter in a place that was quiet (not audibly quiet, but no movement and interference etc) but could you imagine a secret organisation doing illegal experiments down there? Researching weapons? Ooooh exciting.

I'm giving away all my ideas now. This is silly, but my ideas are nothing if kept to myself... I'm an artist not a coder or writer really :D

Cassiebsg

You know, an artist is almost like half the game , so start doing some art fro BGs and sprites, and you may just find someone who wants to code it.. :) besides, if you keep it simple, am sure you can code it yourself.

Good luck, I really like the idea and want to play it.(nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: faerieevenstar on Sat 08/11/2014 14:59:08
Seriously, if people are using this idea, I want to be part of it, as I brought it here 8-)
Just so you don't believe we would steal it "as is" and would include straight away in our game: I just threw the idea with the other team members, but the chances that we can fit it in our (already very dense) storyline are very, very weak.

Monsieur OUXX

arj0n

@faerieevenstar:

Why not start fleshing out a creepy story based on the williamson tunnels, for a game?
After that it *might* attract others members here to join you and work on other aspects (BG's/Sprites/Animating/Coding)...

Wyz

Agreed. :)

You already have me interested and I can write and code (although for a classic point & click you don't need much coding). ;)

faerieevenstar

I am totally planning on doing this, don't worry :) I've just had finger surgery today on my dominant hand after issues with it for over a month now, so hopefully I can start drawing again soon and will bring stuff here. It's been hell not being able to draw! :-X The problem was on the outside of my right ring finger, so however I leant to draw, it put pressure on the painful bit and I couldn't do more than little sketches. It should all be recovery from today, and I will be back MWAHAHA!

arj0n

Hope all will be well soon so you can start soon on art and/or story of this cool idea of yours ;)

faerieevenstar

Ok, this is really rough.. as I said, finger surgery yesterday, so bare that in mind. It's not much of anything but it's *something* Some bits are still squiggles, some are blurry, and well, those bricks aren't staying that way, but it does give the feeling of bricks for now ;)

Source image hidden:

Spoiler
[close]

arj0n

Well done, I like where you going with this :)
Keep on going ;)

CaptainD

That already looks pretty creepy, faerieevenstar! 8-0

Wyz

That is looking pretty cool already if you ask me. :D
I hope your finger heals well. :)

Cassiebsg

Keep up the good work, it's looking great already! :)
Best wishes to your finger. Get well soon!

faerieevenstar

Thanks guys. :D It was only very minor surgery at my local GPs, they lopped a little benign lump off my finger. It was healing well, but it's got a little infected... it's still a million times better than it was- the lump was very sensitve so I'm pleased to be rid of it!

I like the phrase "Best wishes to your finger" and my finger sends it's warmest regards back to you :grin:

Mandle

Wow! Nice atmosphere in that pic! Kinda reminds me of an "Alone In The Dark" game for some reason...

Hope you solve your single-digit problem soon so we can see even more! ;)

Juan Dahmen

I would love to make music for this awesome project here :)
I like mysteries. Specially when the conclusion isn't some kind of magic like in Broken Sword (which I still love).

Haggis

Bit late to the party but underground tunnels and secret passages certainly stir the imagination. Two other examples I can think of along these lines both from my university days:

1. Aberystwyth, National Library for Wales - there's a whole set of secret storage tunnels below the library, apparently to hide things (books / artworks) in during the war.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/7820055.stm

2. Edinburgh, Old Town - I'm no expert on Edinburgh but below the old part of the city is a set of vaults and streets (Mary Kings Close) - I think given the geography of Edinburgh (built on top of a number of hills) the vaults were basically built on top of over time by the rest of the city but the rumours are that it was filled with bodies from the plague and built over to contain the disease (hence 'city of the dead' stuff). Some of the pubs in the old town use some of the vaults as downstairs seating areas.
http://www.traveling-savage.com/2011/02/10/what-lies-beneath-edinburghs-old-town/
http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Edinburgh-Vaults/

Cassiebsg

Can already see the title for this game... "What lies beneath"... (laugh)

faerieevenstar

Ooh I like it!

I went to Mary King's Close on my honeymoon. We're so cool :D It;s a very unique place.

So people really want in on this project then?? :D *blush*

Adeel

Quote from: faerieevenstar on Mon 24/11/2014 20:13:20
I went to Mary King's Close on my honeymoon. We're so cool :D It;s a very unique place.

You know...you can also start the game with a couple going to Mary King's Close on their honeymoon and develop the story further from that point.  :)

straydogstrut

I'm liking the mention of Mary King's Close, it's one of the better Edinburgh ghost tours to go on.

We went to Hastings recently and the St Clement's Caves there; It's a set of tunnels carved into the rock face but with little arches for lanterns, columns and even a little chapel. It was used by smugglers to hide their haul in. They would bring stuff in by boat and have runners ('tubmen') run it up from the beach to the caves before the customs men could catch them. I think the tunnels may also have seen use during the World Wars if I remember correctly, and at one time they even had dances down there..

Nice idea faerieevenstar, and good start with the graphics:)

portableTaco

Seems like a pretty fantastic idea to me.  It's the sort of thing with catacombs and mysterious puzzles to solve? Like Indiana Jones kind of explorer diving into the depths to uncover traps and maybe some magical power from an ancient artifact (how else was he going to learn about the coming apocalypse to build his catacombs?!)....

faerieevenstar

Don't want anyone to think this has been forgotten. Rough sketch of an underground chapel. I use the thick pen tool to do my preliminary sketches like that- just to rough it out!! Little stick man for scale :)

I also have lots of character ideas. I've been fleshing out their personalities and history and reasons to be in the underground world and got LOADS now :grin:

Haggis

That concept art is fantastic - can't wait to see the final background!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk