Broken Sword New Fan Game problems and helps

Started by Nfsfan83, Tue 16/12/2014 12:48:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Nfsfan83

Hi to all AGS community :)

I begin, my first fan made game. Main things is here http://forum.revolution.co.uk/topic/2415/

But all stuff from my BS fan game is

here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nfsfan83/1419216108368863?ref=hl

I don't make this topic in "game in productions" place, because is to early for that. I need, someone who can make backgrounds in Broken Sword 2 style and spirte animations designer, I need people your help. I can make some story. I love classic 2D adventures game. But I need help :)

My first problems:

1. I want add Bonobo font (BS style) and my problem is, I must add 4 same fonts (defult, tiny etc) or only one main font as defult?

2. Is it possible to make ( I make first room in 640x480) bigger room background and scrooling like in BS style???

Greetings Guys.

Nfsfan83

I make some progress with my game. But I have werid problem with font, right click is item description but in my game text is in half cut, and how to change position to this description?

http://picasaweb.google.com/115221225068676757245/AGSFanGame#6093788857373324450

Next simply problem is I want make walk-behinds baseline, I take cursor to top of my background but I can't drag baseline :(

https://picasaweb.google.com/115221225068676757245/AGSFanGame#6093788884148890130

One thing I add all Bonobo fonts to game. All in size 8. But In game is to big where I can set size of text fonts? And if I make game.exe cant run becuse I have this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115221225068676757245/AGSFanGame#6093792292809617058

miguel

Dude, you really should get a online dictionary to help you out with your game making and forum threads. You'd be better making your game in your native language and then find somebody to translate it for you. Don't get all angry with me, I'm the only freekin Portuguese in town and been using dictionaries and translators all my life and in my case things get pretty dangerous (wrong internet forum spelling is a major offence here resulting in having testicles removed).
The title of your game is misspelled so I guess I'm right here.

On your first question try and check the label size of your text. Looks like the label is not centred properly.

Second question: well you moved the mouse up but forgot to move the slider up as well so you're not seeing the top pixels of the image.

Question 3, when you import fonts you are asked the size you want to import them.

Sorry for being an ass but your questions are perfectly solved by YOU if you'd had taken a bit of time and checked things calmly. Game making is a long process and one that requires patience.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Nfsfan83

Thanks for replay Miguel. I try create my fan game in english and next translate to native polish :)

I don't know what, but I already find baseline https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1424292081194599&set=vb.1419216108368863ype=2heater and make some new rooms.

I ask for HELP I only need one person who know perfectly scripting in ASG.

"On your first question try and check the label size of your text. Looks like the label is not centred properly."

where I can set it? How to set it, that decription is position a little next to hotspot? I'm begin and I try find  help in manual help online, but I'm pissed that I can't find.

One thing, I add carpets like hotspot, and If I click Left mouse that I want he go to this. But he only write "carpet" This same with other hotspots like Bookcase or pots?

When I import fonts I already set 8 size, and try smaller, and not effect in game :( Size is not change.

Gabarts

WOW, I've seen your pics, very nice! I love Broken Sword, especially the last one, they made a mind-blowing adventure to play in the old 2D style. Good luck with your project and scripting!

miguel

QuoteThanks for replay Miguel. I try create my fan game in english and next translate to native polish :)
No problem but I was thinking the other way round, like build your game in Polish and then ask someone to translate it to English;

How are you doing your object descriptions? I suppose you're using a label with @OVERHOTSPOT@ written. If that's the case check if the size/position of the text fits nicely into the label. Also check the label position on the GUI.

Working on a RON game!!!!!

Nfsfan83

I make description in editing Room-> Hot Spots-> right side and properties->description . Like I write before, I have some graphics skills, but scripting is to hard for me :(

Nfsfan83

I solved problem with object description :) But have 100 new problems. If I set edges, and event->walk to left edge- change room is ok, but like on picture how to set edges that character on red selection don't leave room too?

How to add non walkable character like this with dialogue?

Cassiebsg

On your first BG, I think you should use regions instead, just draw a region (like walkable area) and tell it to change room when the player walks on that area.

As for your second question... just add the character where you want and give in text/dialog.

On your third not asked question: Please do watch and follow densming tutorials on AGS! Here's a play list for them:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLymKb1rMLG2ksaBcEdHeyPCntjapFjONx

Most of your basic questions are explained here.

And forth... please listen to what miguel says. Make your game in Polish and find someone that can translate from Polish to English later on. Everyone will enjoy your game better. You can't expect Google Translate to do a good job, it just doesn't work. And no one will want to play your game if they can't understand the text/story no matter how stunning you graphics are...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Nfsfan83

Is my english so bad? ;) I make big correct after all things will be finished. I add new character. But I have only one frame of this character. Do I must add all loops for new character? And when I set this character start in room 5, new character is show but have stobbart look :( I watch his tutorial great.

Anyone know what problem is this:

And if I make this game in 640x480 is it any way to play fullscreen?

Thanks for all replays.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Nfsfan83 on Fri 19/12/2014 20:02:22
Is my english so bad? ;)

You should not ask questions you don't want to hear. Your grammar is all over the place, and you risk writing stuff you don't mean (I do that all the time but that's cause I keep forgeting the "negative" in the sentences (roll) ).

I make big correct after all things will be finished.

It's easier for a translator to translate from a perfectly coherent language he/she understands to another language, rather that going "patching" a mess and trying to figure out what you meant to say in the first place.
don't take it the wrong way, but I just doubt you'll find an editor brave enough to take such task.

I add new character. But I have only one frame of this character. Do I must add all loops for new character?

You don't need to add more. Just use the one frame you have in the 1st frame of all 4 loops (probably won't be a need for 4 loops, but the extra work is ony a few seconds).

new character is show but have stobbart look :(

Don't know what you mean. Do you wish Stobbart to look at him? Looks like Stobbart? Something else?

Anyone know what problem is this:

Something to do with your fonts. Did you change the default? Probably you didn't set the new one right. But I can't help you with that, cause I have not worked with fonts in AGS yet.

And if I make this game in 640x480 is it any way to play fullscreen?

Yes, just run winsetup and set it to NOT run in a window.
But you do realize that resolution is 4:3 and not wide screen like your backgrounds, right?

Nfsfan83

On left is right character, on right I want prist.

Cassiebsg

Uhm... make sure your character prist (that you should name cPrist so you know it's a character) is using the correct view (that you really should name vPrist so you know it's the Prist's view).
Have a feeling you forgot to change the character's view to the correct one.

Nfsfan83

I add new character and name it "Prist" than in VIEWS I add "vPrist" view and add 4 loops (one frame in each loop: up,left, right, down) and still in game, right character look like Stobbart (like 1 frame of loop up of cStob). If I go to cPrist view I also can choose all cStob loops, is it correctly? I think, if I set correctly Prist views, it will be only one Prist loop?

MiteWiseacreLives!

Sounds like you forgot to assign the views to your new character in the character pane, will default to the first view if you do not.

Monsieur OUXX

If all those backgroudns are your own art, then I'm very very impressed!

I hope you will spend the required time into beta-testing and typos-fixing, and most of all, that you're good at puzzle-designing!!! I would feel so gutted (for you as a designer and for myself as a selfish player) if that game was pretty but with nothing in it.

Nfsfan83

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sat 20/12/2014 16:05:05
If all those backgroudns are your own art, then I'm very very impressed!

I hope you will spend the required time into beta-testing and typos-fixing, and most of all, that you're good at puzzle-designing!!! I would feel so gutted (for you as a designer and for myself as a selfish player) if that game was pretty but with nothing in it.

Not this not my backgrounds I use similar backgrounds from others games, films, game art etc. I'm not proud for that :( But I can draw. My dream is have artist who made backgrounds to BS2, but this is unreal. Puzzle is important, but I want make this fan game in BS2 style, so cool talks, some puzzle but not to hard. I have some story. I want game, where you can choose next place where you want to go ;)

Nfsfan83

Work slowly go forward :)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1426323587658115

I can set correctly edges, walkable are, behinds, regions :)

I don't yet make any stuff with audio, but I have a qestions:

1. Is it possible to use mp3 tracks?
2. I have idea, if character go to room, and in this room is audio system, click on it, and play music, another click next track play. Is it possible?

Cassiebsg

Adeel

To collectively answer both of your questions: Yes. You can also create a shuffle in the audio system's playlist and give player the power to enable and/or disable it, if you want.  :)

E: Ninja'd by Cassie

Nfsfan83

Nfsfan83

I still don't solve problem with new character. I fight this time with audio. I want add to room music. I have in my game folder, "AudioCache" folder, can I must folder Music and copy my file to it, and rename it to "music1". In editor I can't choose this file. I only have on right folder Audio->types->ambient sound, music and sound than folder Music and folder Sound. And I wanna use this script "Enter room fading in PlayMusic (1);" But why editor dont see my music1 file :( ?

One thing like you see on screen

Blue is walkable are, so I wanna that Stobbart goes to 1 point and goes to point 2. I use regions 1 and 2, but is it any way,that he goes to 1 and script go to on walkable area to point 2, and background are scrolling? If I use regions screen are change, blink black and Sotbbart show it in point 2.

Second problem is red selection guys, yello guy is set to behind scene and it is ok, but I if use red to behind scene and If I go behind them is ok, but when I go on front of them, their heads are transparent. Can I use red guys to a object and can I talk to object? Or use them like new character (solid)?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Nfsfan83 on Fri 26/12/2014 12:46:21
I copy the file "music1" to my "AudioCache" folder
That's not how you do it.
Go in the Editor, right-click on Audio, and select "Add audio file".

Nfsfan83

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 26/12/2014 15:19:58
Quote from: Nfsfan83 on Fri 26/12/2014 12:46:21
I copy the file "music1" to my "AudioCache" folder
That's not how you do it.
Go in the Editor, right-click on Audio, and select "Add audio file".

Yes I do it like you said, I know many of my questions are stupid, but I search in manual and on forum and sometimes can't find answer :( I really need one person who know perfect AGS sctipt, to move with this game forward. I add this music file but, in preview it is too loud. How to set volumne?

Slasher

In Each of the Music and Sound properties pane in the editor you can set their volumes.

Select Music or Sound in the Audio Tree, Select the one you want to adjust volume and set it 0 to 100. Low to High.

RTM

Nfsfan83

Music added, script Room fade in->> aMusic1.Play(1); working good. But how about walkable are problem?

And I try to set center GUI text, I want if character look on any hotspot, decription show like here:

center position, on down.

selmiak

about your walkable area problem:
I'd make the points 1 & 2 hotspots
in room_repeadedly_execute check if the mouse if over either hotspot, if true change the mousecursor to some arrow, if not change to normal cursor, +add some boolean check variable
when the player even clicks on either hotspot have the playercharacter walk blocking to one point in the middle of the hotspot, then to one point on the other side (to not have ags somehow screw up and walk in front of the hut)

if you use regions to check you can't 'park' the playercharacter on the other side of the hut without him triggering the next walkbehind the hut animation.
protip: use two waypoints, both of them hidden, the first close to the start, after reaching this raise the walking speed, walk to the point close to the other end, set the walking speed back to normal, walk to the other side and be visible. Or use the tween module to tween the player in an interesting tween to the other side. Waiting while nothing happens on screen is annoying for players.

Nfsfan83

Thanks selmiak, but can you give me script for that? Acutally I'm a beginner in scripting and only can do simple things ;( But I made this simple Juke Box :D So I'm very proud of that.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1429632040660603&set=vb.1419216108368863ype=2heater

Thank you all for your help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk