Sprite Jam dec29-jan11

Started by Misj', Mon 29/12/2014 15:21:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

SPRITEJAM

For this second of the renewed Sprite Jams I wanted to go back to an old classic: The Adventurer. We all know them: Biggles, Indy, Rick O'Connell, and many, many more...some of whom died before they could make a name for themselves or worse: without a savegame.

Of course just drawing some adventurer would be way too easy, so I've added a couple of character-design and artistic-rules to it:

Rules
Character Design

• The adventure takes place on Earth somewhere between 1870 and 1950 (but it doesn't have to be historically accurate of course).
  • Our character (male or female) is a non-white human.
  • He/She carries a 'signature' item (like Indy's whip). It's not a piece of his/her clothing, but should be clearly visible
Technical Rules

• Your palette should consist of maximally six base colors (not counting shadows/highlights etc. nor black and white)
  • Your character should be between 20 and 25 percent of your intended screen-height (not counting attributes or clothing)

Somewhere around the 12th of January I will announce a winner.

Have fun everyone (and I don't mind seeing intermediary concept-art if you have any :D)

Durinde

[imgzoom]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/durinde/railway_zps67161896.png[/imgzoom]

I gave it a shot. Inspired by songs like 16 Tons, Big John and King of the Road I present Railway Randy. Randy wanders the tracks during the depression, taking jobs where he can get them, and sometimes righting wrongs with his hammer.

Misj'

Durinde

Thanks Misj' Although I'm not the greatest, I enjoy having a project to work towards.

Mandle

Quote from: Durinde on Tue 30/12/2014 00:03:46
[imgzoom]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/durinde/railway_zps67161896.png[/imgzoom]

I gave it a shot. Inspired by songs like 16 Tons, Big John and King of the Road I present Railway Randy. Randy wanders the tracks during the depression, taking jobs where he can get them, and sometimes righting wrongs with his hammer.

Jules: I'll just walk the earth.

Vincent: What'cha mean walk the earth?

Jules: You know, walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from "Kung Fu."

NICE CHARACTER by the way!!!

Cassiebsg

WIP
Spoiler

Hope I'm still in for the 6 base colors... Pants should be white or beige & shoes brown (or light brown).

EDIT: Done... :-D

Presenting: One Feather, a not so famous explorer from around 1910 who specializes in Antique Aztec and Mayan culture (reason why he was baned from his own Tribe in North America). Depicted here with his trustworthy staff, which has by now saved his life 3 times (which he honors by adding a feather to it.)

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

I<3Pindorama!

Jair was an adventurer from little child.
At 10 he left home and went to live with a troupe of itinerant artists.

Spoiler
[close]

In one of the towns that they visited, Jair fell in love with a girl
and have abandoned circus life, establishing residence in the small town.
Never had the courage to declare his feelings, because the girl had rich
parents and his genius was not the best. She disdained in every moment the
ethnicity of that poor guy. But for Jair love that girl was more important
than being loved by her. He even got a little way to see her almost every day:
He took the postman job!

Spoiler
[close]

He was an excellent professional! Nothing prevented him from send the letters.
Bad dogs fierce, bad thieves, bad weather, bad salary ...deliver letters was a
daily adventure! But nothing could shake his spirit! Except discover that his
beloved exchanged a passionate letters with a promising young big-city lawyer.

Spoiler
[close]

And before long they were married and Jair never saw her again...

Poor Jair ... his heart was in tatters and his soul was shattered.
Yet he continued to deliver the letters ... but it did not take long
for your health collapsing once and for all.

On January 7, 1918
Death came to deliver him a letter.
Jair was only 26 years...

Spoiler
[close]

But he managed to take off a job of assistant of the Death.
He is now responsible for sending notices that the Death will make a visit soon.

Today* is a special day ... Jair will deliver the letter to his old beloved.
And he's dressed in his best clothes and the beautiful golden star on his hat expels water jets!

The end...

* January 2, 1919

Misj'

Quote from: I<3Pindorama! on Fri 02/01/2015 14:31:12Jair was an adventurer from little child.
Nice interpretation of the rules. :grin: - I wasn't expecting a dead postman to ring twice.

I<3Pindorama!

QuoteI wasn't expecting a dead postman to ring twice.
Bull's eye! The inspiration came in a whirlwind of "cachaça", nutmeg,  Artemisia, "il postino"
and  The Postman Always Rings Twice, that here in Brazil had the title translates
to "O Destino Bate à  sua Porta"(very adequate) and mainly the real postmen, taking into
account the challenges facing these true adventurers from the earliest civilizations
like the great Pheidippides!

QuoteNice interpretation of the rules.

Thanks! But I am not sure if I made a work that matches the rules, any way... be sure that
out of respect for your challenge I gave my best. I'm sure that your intent with this rules
is to make an opportunity to extract even more creativity in this competition and not limit it ...
like as those present (and who that still to come) I really appreciate your challenge and accepted it.

It is a great pleasure to be here participating.
Thanks for this, Misj! ;)

Spoiler

Lonely men that even today face alone and unarmed many dangers, to fulfill their duty...
Leading to the destination things often as precious as gold and silver, things like...
Spoiler
[close]

Durinde

Some really interesting submissions!

Misj'

almost nearing the end...but there's still time for some entries.

Misj'

I enjoyed seeing the entries, and think they are all worthy of a Sprite Jam.

It is, however, time to declare a single winner. And the winner is: Pindorama.
The extremely creative interpretation of the rules and the bold choice of colors made a lasting impression.

I<3Pindorama!, it's your turn to host the next Sprite Jam. Congrats!

I<3Pindorama!

I am flattered by your kind review, thank Msj!   :-D

The real prize was given to all: the opportunity to run his passion for art and exercise their creativity. The quality of all works was able to extrapolate the outline of the draws and rousing the story that involves each character and this was something really wonderful!

I will strive to create a challenging and fun contest, at the height of that already occur here in the forum.

Congratulations to Msj, Cassiebsg and Durinde

Coincidentally (or not) I was listening to a very popular song in the Brazilian carnival (in its aspect more root and perhaps less touristic and more picturesque). This sensitive and nice music, was initially composed of instrumental form by the famous "The Electric Trio" three Brazilian musicians that according to some historians are the electric guitar inventors, or perhaps his ancestral that was called "Pau Elétrico" (electric pole) and which later evolved to become the "Guitarra Baiana" (Bahia's guitar). The melody has an intentional flamenco "footprint", with a sound that has a little refers to rock metal (the instrumentalists are rockers) and obviously rolls a Latin swing.

The lyric was written many years after by the great musician Moraes Moreira with the blessing of the original composers. Let me share with you this pearl ...

The song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8W3u7Gcf68
The complete album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFaaTks678o
About "Pau Elétrico:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahian_guitar[/spoiler]
I did a little translation to help in understanding of the lyric ...
Spoiler

Pombo-Correio
(Carrier Pigeon)

Carrier pigeon fly quickly
And carries this letter
For my love

Take it in the beak
while i will stay here
waiting the answer
to know If she still
Like me

Carrier pigeon if by chance
a failure to meet happen
do not lose one second
fly the world If required
Time flies...
But bring me good news!

Carrier pigeon
fly fast my little courier
and take in the beak
this message of love
while i'm staying here
singing to scare this sadness
This uncertainty that love brings

Carrier pigeon
in this case i will tell you
by these lines at what point
my heart want to go
and what he likes:
"Come back to me!"
It Would be the best answer...

[close]

Ah, including scenes of the city that I was born and live (interestingly shows the beach which is a few meters from my house). Are scenes of raw beauty and to a certain way former (70/80 years), but its essence is timeless, it remains mystical, happy, hard, uneven, multiethnic and wonderfully lysergic (the crazy guy Tarzan!) ... I love this place, its pleasures, its sins, its dangers (not all) ... and especially my people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk