Font critic in text

Started by Nikolas, Sun 11/01/2015 15:02:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

https://www.scribd.com/doc/252026300/Beauty-and-Hope-Inner-Text

In the above link you'll find the same text written in 7 different fonts. This is pretty much the finished (corrections to be made) text for my kickstarter project, and it will be printed in 300 dpi, in the beginning of the score (the inner text, as a preface of some sort).

Apart from the who's which should've been whose and a few other English problems, which font do you prefer (which page)? Do you have an alternative on the font to use, perhaps? Should it be formatted as it is (both ends perfectly aligned, like a newspaper column)?

Thanks! ^_^

Cassiebsg

Hey, would have helped if you had numbered the pages... after the 4th I lose track of which one am using... (roll)

Anyway, the first one is hard to read, the hand "written" ones give it a sloppy look IMH.

3rd, 5th & 6th are easy to read and nice. The 6th maybe be kind of boring though.
So for me the choice would either be 3rd or 5th... The 3rd one seems a bit too small, probably a good idea to increase the size by a point or 2.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Nikolas

I know about the page number. I'm a little fool (and scattered minded at the moment), so really sorry about that! :) Thanks...

So, it's probably 3 for you, then, pretty much! Thanks!

Eric

Would be helpful to know what sort of intent you have behind the page. I gather that you want a sort of personal/casual look from the use of handwriting fonts, but handwriting fonts across a body of text are fatiguing to read.

cat

3 would be best. 1 is pretty but hard to read. 6 is a bit boring. The others look sloppy, as Cassiebsg has pointed out.

Ah 7 pages they are.

I don't know, what you all having with number 3. (roll) To much.
Take number 6 (the second last), if you wanna give a more reputable impression. If it comes down to marketing and co, less is more. Information counts first. If it's boring, people turn away no matter how pretty a letter looks. But of course it should be readable at all.

You should go through your text again. If this is your introduction letter of the project than you should cut more to the chase of matter. Considering the length of the text, not much of information to find. Currently, it's more like you're beating around the bush.

Two words: concisely, laconic

I hope this critic is helpful. Greetings. :)

Nikolas

It's a personal text that will go in a single printed page (at 300 dpi) in a music score. It's a single page preface to a 96 page music score for solo piano. And it's not beating around the bush, I think. On the contrary it's exactly the whole point of the project and the reason d'etre for it.

But I think guys and gals are right because you are missing the context.

This kickstarter link should be of aid: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2925155/beauty-and-hope-in-the-21st-century

It's not about marketing really. It will be the 2nd page of the music score. Nobody will be seeing this really, unless they buy the score, or unless I decide to use it as a marketing tool (and lets face it, with so much info, materials and products coming out, I don't exactly need to use that...).

Ali

6 is the only one I can read comfortably, but it's not a particularly attractive font. 3 is harder to read, but more pleasing to look at.

If I were you I'd consider using a bold, decorative font title only (Most of these would be suitable). Then use a use a less striking, but eminently readable font for the body of the text. Here are some conventional options: http://blog.solopress.com/inspiration/typography/top-5-most-popular-fonts-for-printing/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk