Can't nominate for AGS Awards

Started by Radiant, Fri 23/01/2015 20:44:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

I seem to recall having the same issue last year,

We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /site/awards/ on this server.
You do not have permission to access this server. Before trying again, close your browser, run anti-virus and anti-spyware software and remove any viruses and spyware from your computer.
Your technical support key is: 52aa-d296-b40c-8ddc

bicilotti

Radiant

I think it's simply a user rights issue. As I recall, last year people from the Bake Sale group didn't have permission to nominate for a while.

AGA

I don't remember it being a rights issue.  That's a server error message, not a site one (as in I didn't write it), so it shouldn't be anything to do with forums / site permissions.  This is something that seems to randomly affect lots of people occasionally, myself included.  Usually refreshing, or waiting a while will sort it out.

Cassiebsg

I always get that error warning when I try searching the games db... haven't tried to nominate anything to see if I also get that error.
Always assumed it was just my Firefox, since I have a bunch of script blocking addons and such installed.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Peder 🚀

Why does ALL the games show up for every category on the nomination page?

AGA

Huh?  You mean here?  They don't for me...  If I change the categories I get a different set of results each time.

Peder 🚀

Sorry, I should've been more clear, I was talking about the nomination page (hence why I posted it in this topic) for the AGS awards! Edited my post.

AGA

Ohh, sorry, missed the relevance of the topic title!  Quite simply, it's because the games database doesn't have enough information about games to allow automatic filtering.  And I'm not going through a hundred games to filter them myself!  Besides, if a game is nominated for an inappropriate category it'll be caught before the final voting stage, and that game won't be made eligible for voting.

Andail

Naturally, only the very best AGS games should be eligible for the best game award!!
Fix that, AGA

bicilotti

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Tue 27/01/2015 06:52:10
Why does ALL the games show up for every category on the nomination page?

We started having problems, mhh, some 4 years ago when new categories (in the DB) where introduced (is a "MAGS Game" a short game? Maybe a Non adventure one? etc. Same story with "non categorised"). At first I PM'd CJ/AGA with relevant changes, but it is easier to let people vote and cross out the intruder.

Peder 🚀

Is it though bicilotti? is it? :p

arj0n

Quote from: bicilotti on Tue 27/01/2015 10:57:57
but it is easier to let people vote and cross out the intruder.
Tiny downside is, these crossed out intruders are lost votes in away. Votes that could have been gone to other games, not from the intruder category.
But hey, it is indeed the easiest way :)

bicilotti

Quote from: Arj0n on Wed 28/01/2015 21:18:40
Tiny downside is, these crossed out intruders are lost votes in away. Votes that could have been gone to other games, not from the intruder category.

Mhhh I am not sure I am following you precisely. There is no limit to the number of games you can nominate, so those votes are lost but wouldn't impact your other choices.
E.g. if I nominate Red Hot Overdrive, ACRONYM and A Golden Wake for "Best Non Adventure", AGW is not considered but that wouldn't impact your other choices.
Or not?

arj0n

Quote from: bicilotti on Thu 29/01/2015 00:02:08
Quote from: Arj0n on Wed 28/01/2015 21:18:40

Mhhh I am not sure I am following you precisely. There is no limit to the number of games you can nominate, so those votes are lost but wouldn't impact your other choices.
E.g. if I nominate Red Hot Overdrive, ACRONYM and A Golden Wake for "Best Non Adventure", AGW is not considered but that wouldn't impact your other choices.
Or not?
Well bici, IMHO it does impact the choice and might even have a slight impact on the final outcome. I'll try to explain it following your example:

1. I voted AGW as "Best Non Adventure"
2. The vote for AGW as "Best Non Adventure" gets lost.
3. This vote would not have gone lost if I would have chosen another game that IS correctly from the "Best Non Adventure".
4. So that 'other game' now does miss a change to get a vote from me...

As long as there are 'lost votes' there are games that could have got more votes and thus this system does 'slightly, very slightly' influence the outcome of the total votes per game and therefor the final rankings.

Note(!):
I'm *not* nitpicking on the chosen voting system with lost votes at all, and it's also *not* something I'm pushing to be changed, I was just wondering about this.... :)

bicilotti

Quote from: Arj0n on Thu 29/01/2015 15:52:30
Well bici, IMHO it does impact the choice and might even have a slight impact on the final outcome. I'll try to explain it following your example:

1. I voted AGW as "Best Non Adventure"
2. The vote for AGW as "Best Non Adventure" gets lost.
3. This vote would not have gone lost if I would have chosen another game that IS correctly from the "Best Non Adventure".
4. So that 'other game' now does miss a change to get a vote from me...

As long as there are 'lost votes' there are games that could have got more votes and thus this system does 'slightly, very slightly' influence the outcome of the total votes per game and therefor the final rankings.

Indeed indeed, duly noted!

Note(!):
I'm *not* nitpicking on the chosen voting system with lost votes at all, and it's also *not* something I'm pushing to be changed, I was just wondering about this.... :)

Comments/feedback are always welcome! As now there is a bit of a dichotomy between the Awards categories and the DB; at the first database revamp opportunity I'll try to sneak the appropriate modification in!

selmiak

I'm not sure, I nominated the games I want to nominate. When I click on the link to the huge list in the forum header AGAIN, are all my nominations deleted, or are they still there and I can change things around? I don't want to click to find out as nominating takes some time. And because I'm not sure about that I don't want to find out if I can nominate some categories, SAVE this, and CONTINUE nominating with my other nominations saved to my account later that day or on another day.
If reentering the nominations page deletes everything entered I want to send some nitpick feedback out. If not, I might change around my nominations some more later. or not. or later. or not...

arj0n

Quote from: bicilotti on Thu 29/01/2015 16:16:17
Comments/feedback are always welcome! As now there is a bit of a dichotomy between the Awards categories and the DB; at the first database revamp opportunity I'll try to sneak the appropriate modification in!
I'm sure you guys can work something out ;)

Peder 🚀

With regards to the error Radiant got (I get it now when trying to vote) it seems to be caused by the BadBehavior mod.
However since I don't have admin access to the forums there is hardly anything I can do to look into it..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk