[SOLVED] Random blinking lights: errors with Random (and RandomFloat) function

Started by LostTrainDude, Mon 16/02/2015 13:42:45

Previous topic - Next topic

LostTrainDude

Hello!

I'm trying to get a "light blinking randomly" effect to work in a specific room.
To do that, I'm trying to create a recursive timer that just switches the background and lasts a different random (float) amount of seconds each time it's triggered.

To generate a random float number I'm using the RandomFloat function described in this thread.
Also, I'm using the Tween Module as well.

The code is structured in the following way:

In Global Variables, I've put a float variable to store the timer's time (float randLightTime = 0.0)

In my GlobalScript.asc:
Code: ags

// At the very top of the file
float RandomFloat(float max) {
  int huge = 2147483647;
  float f = IntToFloat(Random(huge)) / IntToFloat(huge);  // 0.0 - 1.0
  return f * max;
}

function repeatedly_execute_always()
{
  if (cEgo.Room == 2) {
    if (IsTimerExpired(9)) {
      SetBackgroundFrame(GetBackgroundFrame()-1);
      randLightTime = RandomFloat(2.5);
      SetTimer(9, SecondsToLoops(randLightTime));
    }
  }
}

The timer is set in the room where this blinking light should be working (Room 2):
Code: ags

function room_Load()
{
  SetTimer(9, SecondsToLoops(1.0));
}

I'm getting an error that involves both line 4 and line 13 in the GlobalScript.asc.
When I enter the room the game crashes and I get this message: "Random: invalid parameter passed -- must be at least 0".

I tried starting the timer in the game_start function and also tried changing the initial randLightTime value, without luck.
Am I missing something really stupid?

Thanks in advance!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Crimson Wizard

This is how Random is implemented in AGS:
Code: cpp

int __Rand(int upto) {
    upto++;
    if (upto < 1)
        quit("!Random: invalid parameter passed -- must be at least 0.");
    return rand()%upto;
}

This means that max value passed to Random can be INT_MAX - 1 (2147483646).

BTW, the rand() function it uses (from C library) does not guarantee a return value higher than 32767 (may be higher on some systems, but Windows has it like that).

I believe this info should be added to manual.

To fix your script, simply set "int huge = 32767;".

LostTrainDude

Thanks a million! I really didn't think of that as a problem, because somehow when I was working on Win8.1 it didn't gave me any kind of issue.
Then once I switched over to a Win7 system, and after I made some amendments to the code, I couldn't get it to work anymore (laugh)

Now that I've tweaked the value of int huge to 32767 (which makes sense, anyway) the problem seems to be fixed so, again, thanks! :D
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk