Sprite Jam March2-March15 | the Djinni

Started by Misj', Mon 02/03/2015 11:55:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

The Djinni

This SpriteJam is going to be magical. You are working on a project set in an Arabian fantasy world. The project-leader has asked you to design and draw the Djinni-character that will play a central role in the story.

Djinn can be both good and evil, and it's up to you to decide. You may base him/her on Islamic/Arabian mythology, or go for a more Hollywood-approach. The djinn does not have to be bound to a magical object (but he/she can). There are, however some design-limitations:

• he/she must be both physical and non-physical at the same time (air, smoke, water-vapor, fire, whatever).
  • he/she must have a distinctive middle-eastern feel.
  • he/she must not use more that five base-colours (not counting black/white, shades, or alpha)
  • he/she must have humanoid features (but does not have to be human, or have human anatomy)
  • There is no size-limit. The character can take up the entire screen or be as small as 20 pixels high (or less, if you consider 20 pixels a size-limit)

Multiple entries are allowed (this may also be characters that interact with the djinn), but I want to see a small backstory of the character and how he/she plays a central role in the story (concept art is also appreciated, but not required).

The competition runs from March 2nd - March 15th 2015, and the winner will be decided by me (no voting this time, sorry). As long as I haven't announced my decision, the competition is open for submissions.

And most importantly: have fun!

Misj'

One week to go.

Remember, if you are the only one entering, you will have zero chance of failure. Wait...that isn't really an incentive now is it? - Anyway, if the rules are too strict, just bend/break them, and see if anyone cares.

cat

To be honest, I think the rules are too strict. It's much more inspiring when you can go wild with your own ideas.

Misj'

Quote from: cat on Sun 08/03/2015 17:36:18
To be honest, I think the rules are too strict. It's much more inspiring when you can go wild with your own ideas.
Then please break them (although I'm curious which of the rules you deem too restrictive/uninspiring  ;) )

Priabudiman

Hello!

I hope its not too late, but here goes my noob take on the Djinn! Picture gim as a shadow being with a bit of desert dweller accent on it!

[imgzoom]http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/apriabudiman/Game%20Assets%20and%20Random%20Drawings/Djinni_zpsi8sh6qmg.png[/imgzoom]

Monsieur OUXX

Very cute sprite, Priabudiman. Very nicely crafted.

Mandle

Priabudiman

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 11/03/2015 09:58:51
Very cute sprite, Priabudiman. Very nicely crafted.

Thank you so much Monsieur! im glad that you like it, it was a quick 10-15min mouse doodle, i was thinking that i am late for the submission, haha

Mandle

My entry is a kitchen-gas-outlet-Djinni who cleverly figured out how to pull its own pipe free from the wall and escape the confines of its prison:

Here is the sprite without the background (Background is not my work. Only included to show context):

[imgzoom]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Mandle/Djinni08_zpskdclb8xk.png[/imgzoom]

Misj'

While there weren't many entries this time, I do have to say that I like both contestants for two very different reasons.

Priabudiman: shadow being

What I really like about this piece, is that it organic and dynamic. The art style is fun, and clear, and clean. Despite the heavy use of pure black, you managed to create an interesting character with just the right amount of attitude and detail.

Mandle: kitchen-gas-outlet-Djinni

The art style is absolutely crazy...which somehow fits well with the gass-djinn. The idea is a great take on the theme, and goes beyond the conventional and expected; which I really like. It's insane, threatening, and I can really see it work.

It took me some time to decide the winner, because both pieces are so different and have such different merits (yes, I kinda wish I had gone for voting). But in the end I feel that the shadow-djinn would work so well in a game, and has such interesting features, that it deserved the win.

Congrats Priabudiman!
You get the honor of hosting the next Jam.

Mandle

Thanks for the great Sprite Jam Misj'!!!

I had a lot of fun with my entry but knew all along that I had a lot of furlongs to catch up to win the race...

Can't wait for the next one!

Priabudiman

Thank you so much @misj ! Im glad to participate on the jam! Hopefully i can cook up something for the next jam, and prepare something for it, maybe some kind of token!

Mandle

As Priabudiman has been MIA for over a month I have been contacted by Misj' to run the next Sprite Jam.

So yeah: coming soon!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk