High resolution game on systems with different resolutions

Started by Rhye, Mon 06/04/2015 22:54:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhye

Quick question, will my game (which is being made at 1366x768) run on different PC resolutions (like 1024x768 or 1920àâ€"1080) properly? I mean, with readable text? I'm mainly concerned about lower resolutions.

AGS 3.4.0.3 beta.

Crimson Wizard

It will run.
Running at higher resolutions should usually be fine.
According to my experiments, scaling game down by 1.5 and more makes text ugly, and then completely unreadable. This is because AGS first draws all in the game actual size, and then scales it.
In fact, shrinking by 2 or more already makes game look bad in general, because too many pixels are lost during transformation. Of course that depends on graphic style and density of detail. If your rooms and characters are represented by large primitive shapes, they will look more or less acceptable. The more detailed image in hi-res, the worse it becomes when scaled down.

In the essence, the scaling down feature is meant simply to let user at least run and see the game. You can't expect it to be normally playable like this.

The hypothetical solution would be to provide different sets of gfx for hi-res and low-res run, but AGS does not support this atm, and idk if this would even worth it.

Rhye

Thanks for the great explanation, Crimson Wizard.
I am creating a non-adventure cyberpunk game. However, the gameplay base consists basically on draggable GUI's and text, so readability is essential.
I'm having a bad time on many aspects of the game development. :( AGS is an amazing engine, but I think its limitations for non-adventure games won't let me complete my first game in it.
I sincerely hope to publish a game here some day, though. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk