Expression Speech Style Module Error

Started by ChronicFreshman, Sun 12/04/2015 20:33:49

Previous topic - Next topic

ChronicFreshman

Hello,

I'm just getting started on the skeleton of a game and I ran into a problem with Shade's Expression Speech Style module. I imported the script and followed the included directions. But when I try to play the game, this error pops up:

"Vairable 'Speech' is already defined."

From what I understand, this means that the the variable "Speech" is already being used in the original script, but I'm not sure how to fix the issue and it isn't addressed in the module instructions so I take it it's probably something pretty obvious.

Sorry in advance if this is a question better posted on the module's thread, it just seemed like a very beginner issue.

Thanks!

Crimson Wizard

There's a new Speech class introduced in AGS 3.3.0. The script module you were importing could be made for older version of AGS and therefore using its own "speech" variable or class, that conflicts with new AGS feature.

The script module should be modified to resolve this conflict.

Monsieur OUXX

Additionally to what CW said :
- Either it's a variable or struct that is already named "Speech" in the module --> In that case just do a full-text research and replace "Speech" with "MySpeech" or whatever
- Or it's a GUI or sound or view that is already named "gSpeech" or "aSpeech" or something. It means they're not declared in the script/modules text, but instead somewhere in the AGS Editor --> In that case, there's a chance that AGS automatically created a symbol called "SPEECH" or something. Even if it doesn't appear in the scripts, don't let yourself be fooled. For example, think that renaming the speech gui from "gSpeech" to "gMySpeech" might fix the issue.

ChronicFreshman

Thank you both for the in-depth advice. This sounds like it might be effective. I'll give it a shot!

my2k

edit; terribly sorry for bumping an old thread. I've managed to fix my problem, sorry again...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk