Opinions on Demo Reel (18/05/15 update)

Started by vertigoaddict, Sat 02/05/2015 05:38:29

Previous topic - Next topic

vertigoaddict

=== === ===
18/05/15

Well, I think I've waited long enough, there weren't any responses so I figured either the song was okay or absolutely ****e. I don't know what else I could really do with it, listening to the rest of the Demo Reel however, I've decided to go with the third version.

https://youtu.be/2aTb5KuD7Ys

So here is the completed voice Demo Reel. Opinions would be nice, but I'm actually quite satisfied.
=== === ===
Hey, (wow I haven't posted anything here in a long time).
So I'm (slowly) working on a new demo reel, I'm still thinking up characters I could do and what to say. While I was doing that, I decided to work on the last 10-ish seconds of the demo where I wanted to showcase my singing chops. I figured I could do 5 characters/showcase emotions and then a song, each being approximately 10 seconds.

Since I'm going to put what I feel is my best voice first, then going down to voices I feel less confident in, I figured to keep it interesting I could have a sorta techno pop song at the end that just blasts pretty much everything I could do so my name would be  seared  into the listener's brain.

Here's a link to the song:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mt6q3yz4boyorxy/Breathe-_Iddie_Mo_(song_for_demo_reel).zip

There are three "versions" of the song.

When I've asked friends what they thought of the first version, some say the instruments drowned my voice. So I lowered them in the second version but it doesn't have the same 'thumpa thumpa' feeling to me, a lot of other songs I listened to for reference seemed to have that feeling, I'm afraid of messing with the bass too much. The third version strips down most of the instruments, honestly I'm torn between the first and third version and would like to hear your opinions.

I was trying to emulate that point in a techno pop song that's pretty much near the climax where everything just pumps up y'know? However this is a voice demo reel, drowning my voice out seems redundant.

Also, I feel I have to mention that I had recently messed up my laptop's audio plug and broke my old headphones. I got these pair of USB headphones now that may or may not have a little bit of a 'boost' to them (I tried to get the one with the least 'special features' for optimal audio editing) the sounds seem to come out slightly louder than my old headphones so that gets me a little worried, I may have to learn some new tricks to keep things consistent.

Oh and I'm crap at composing, I don't know what I'm doing most of the time. I used Anvil studio (a free midi program) and solmire.com (a midi to mp3 conversion site) and I use sony vegas 7 to mix everything together.

Thank you in advance, hopefully this post wasn't too long.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk