Walk Cycle Hi - Res - Protagonist for Horror Game

Started by JoelMayer, Sun 03/05/2015 16:15:26

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelMayer

Hi Guys... Let me show you what i've been working on:

Animated in Toon Boom Harmony. Not perfect yet though, her left leg is falling apart but i already know how to fix that. I'm thinking of using AGS as my Engine after all, but i wanted to ask: is it very difficult to build a Cat Lady like Interface, where you control the Character just walking from left to right via Keyboard Inputs? Thanks a ton!

[delete}

I'd say it's a quit goodlooking animation.

Andail

* I think her pose is very exaggerated, but I guess some people walk with their back arched like that.
* You don't typically have the palms of your hands facing forward like that. Turn them more inwards, or even a bit backwards.
* Her stride is far too short, giving her a strange truncated kind of strut.
* The legs skip from the "rear" position to the front too abruptly; you need more frames to capture the fluent movement here, or she will appear to constantly kick something in front of her.

xil

I'm not so bothered by the pose, it has got that certain cartoon feel so I don't think my brain looks for realism when looking at that art style.

Andail has pretty much nailed everything else.
* With the hands, it's specifically the thumbs as well as the general pose of the hand that bother me, the thumb would not be that disconnected from the hand.
* Her stride is actually different for her left and right feet. Because she is so side on, you wouldn't really notice any difference in how far her feet go. I'd say increase the left foot by a small amount and then match that with the right foot.
* Agreed about more frames for the follow through and I'd also say that the foot bends more at the toes when it goes back, just try walking around now keeping your foot completely flat, it will feel very awkward! :)

It does look extremely good though so don't take that as too harsh a critique, doing the above points would be akin to perfecting something that is already pretty damn good ;)

In regards to creating an interface like The Cat Lady I would not call it difficult but you certainly wouldn't want to be attempting to code/script something like that if you were new to programming. There is a module for AGS that can handle keyboard movement, but that's only the start of what you would need. The more challenging stuff would be to do with scripting the interaction system.
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Misj'

I did a quick rough pencil sketch; although it is very difficult to give comments on her walk without knowing her character or emotional state. Her hands are to stiff, and there are several other mistakes, but I wanted to focus on her legs.It needs a few more frames and some more lifting of her legs, but you get the idea.

I gave her a much more feminine walk (overly exaggerated; but it's somewhere in between a real walk and a catwalk-model-walk). This meant that you get a lot more hip-movement. Also, I made her 'land' on her toes rather than her heel (basing it on the model-walk), to give the impression that she's used to wearing high-heels, and to give her a bit more pride. I kept the step-distance the same as you had it, because that fitted the toe-landing-movement (which in reality would be very tiresome to do all the time when you're walking).

As I said, this all depends on her character, but considering that she has a very feminine (and good looking) design, I would extend that design in her walk as well. Now bear in mind that I exaggerated the animation to make a point, and that I don't really like looking at walk-cycles in place. :)

JoelMayer

Gee, thanks everyone for the Feedback and the thoughts and efforts you put into them :) Some things i had already noted myself but i have to refine my character rig first before i can do things like foot rolls etc and the stride length is definitely too short.

Thank you :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk