Fortnightly Writing Competition - WHODUNNIT! (Results)

Started by Baron, Wed 20/05/2015 04:30:13

Previous topic - Next topic

kconan

Quote from: Baron on Sat 13/06/2015 15:45:51
Why couldn't the contest administrator also participate?

It feels wrong though if the Administrator, having previously won, wins again, and potentially again...The FWC championship belt needs to change hands.  I agree that there should be more entries these days, but not admins unless its an exhibition entry.

Awesome round guys!  Congrats to JudasFm.  His was certainly the hardest of the entries in my opinion.

Sinitrena

Quote from: kconan on Sat 13/06/2015 17:35:35
Quote from: Baron on Sat 13/06/2015 15:45:51
Why couldn't the contest administrator also participate?

It feels wrong though if the Administrator, having previously won, wins again, and potentially again...The FWC championship belt needs to change hands.  I agree that there should be more entries these days, but not admins unless its an exhibition entry.

I have to agree with kconan here. I don't think the adminstrator should be allowed to enter, mainly because it's good to have at least one neutral party in every contest. And besides, I don't really see a reason why it should be necessary. I admit, we don't usually have an abundance of entries, but we normally have enough that it actually is a competition. When was the last time we had only one entry? (Or zero; I don't think we ever had zero entries in the last few years.) No, it's better to keep administrator and entrants seperate.
What I would find more important is that everyone who enters also votes. That's only fair. But there is no way to actually enforce such a rule, so this is more a wish than a suggestion.

Congratulations to JudasFm for a deserved win. I'm looking forward to the next round.

Mandle

Quote from: Sinitrena on Sat 13/06/2015 18:44:16
What I would find more important is that everyone who enters also votes. That's only fair. But there is no way to actually enforce such a rule, so this is more a wish than a suggestion.

OH CRAP?! I forgot to vote?! Seriously, I was thinking that I had voted. I've just been too busy with work this past week to keep anything else straight in my head I guess. I suppose 7 days straight working with many 12 hour days would do that.

Sorry again guys, but congratz to everyone for an entertaining round. I think the structure of the whodunnit has great potential for a "Part 2" revisitation in the future as it made for a uniquely interactive FWC, and also maybe then Baron can join with his own entry.

I wrote and posted my own entry in under an hour as a response to the current (at that time) lack of entries and did not really expect it to be taken seriously so I was stoked to see I actually got a few votes (even if they were possibly pity votes (laugh) )

I actually do have a much better whodunnit story which has been rattling around in my head for about a year now, but as it is reserved for the potential plot of a game I decided not to use it here ;)

Can wait for the next round, although I suspect I'll just be a reader in that one unless it's something really up my alley... ;)

JudasFm

I agree. I really don't see any problems with an exhibition entry if the admin just wants the fun or experience of writing it - I'd quite like to do one myself for the next round, if nobody objects - but I don't think it should be eligible to win.

Awesome round guys!  Congrats to JudasFm.  His Hers was certainly the hardest of the entries in my opinion.

;) Thanks. And thanks so much to everyone who voted for me; I never thought I'd win :D Next round will be up later today.

Baron

It feels wrong though if the Administrator, having previously won, wins again, and potentially again...

Quote from: Sinitrena on Sat 13/06/2015 18:44:16
I have to agree with kconan here. I don't think the adminstrator should be allowed to enter

Quote from: JudasFm on Sun 14/06/2015 00:24:06
I agree.  [Maybe an] exhibition entry if the admin just wants the fun or experience of writing it... but I don't think it should be eligible to win.

So.... what you're all saying is that there's a bit of wiggle room on this, right? ;)

kconan

Quote from: Baron on Sun 14/06/2015 18:25:08
So.... what you're all saying is that there's a bit of wiggle room on this, right? ;)

Yea no consensus, we're all just spitballin ideas 8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk