Corridor door angles for slide up doors

Started by Slasher, Tue 26/05/2015 07:37:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

This is a mock of a corridor where i can't seem to get the doorway angles right for slide up doors without having to change each doors graphic midway up. Help/advice/suggestions appreciated.

Eric

Billbis

Notably, you should be able do draw a straight line from the top of all doors from one side.
The tops should align as the bottoms on the floor.

Slasher

New mock... how does this compare?

Slide up door closed

Slide up door open

Snarky

It's a basic principle of linear perspective that all parallel lines should converge (point to the same point): in this case, you're using one-point perspective, so all lines going "into" the drawing should point towards the same point at the center of the drawing. It looks like the floor and ceiling lines point roughly towards the same point, but the lines for the top edge of the doors don't.

Slasher

Khris

Here's some lines:

Note that the "2d width" of the far doors is supposed to be much less due to foreshortening.

The only way to animate this in line with the perspective is to cut the door sprite into 1 pixel wide columns, then manually calculate their positions and draw them to the background. Short of that, use several frames that are skewed accordingly. If they are a single color, you can also draw two triangles to get a trapezoid.

Slasher

Cheers guys for the useful info (nod)

at this moment i incorporated 3 images that subtly change as door slides up.

Mandle

Looks like the issues are sorted for now but I just wanted to say:

Do my eyes deceive me or are we talking about Captain Kirk going aboard the Nostromo here?!

WHAT AN AWESOME IDEA!!! And if not, then make it happen anyway!!!

Slasher

QuoteDo my eyes deceive me or are we talking about Captain Kirk going aboard the Nostromo here?!
The captain is James Dirk of the USS Thunderchild and he's droid is KP29. The Nostromo is of course from Alien.

"Son of the magnificent Jaffa Snuffledrop: Short in stature, tall in power, narrow of purpose and wide of vision."

Look out for other references from the great sci-fi films (laugh)

Meanwhile i am working on backgrounds like the above. Of course if anyone cares to assist me....

Frikker

personally, i would do the door animation by treating the vanishing point as a pivot, then basically draw your line like Khris' example to form the bottom of the door, then draw each frame to make the door go up whilst pivoting the line on the vanishing point everytime, and just rub out the pivot point and extra bit of line in each frame once you are happy. This probably sounds daft and is of little help but it works in my head so i thought id try to explain it badly incase you could take anything from it.......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk