Nothing About The Dog -Playable!

Started by Billbis, Sat 14/12/2013 13:47:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Billbis

Nothing About The Dog
An amateur point&clicks adaptation of Jerome K. Jerome novel Three Men in a boat.

Topic aussi disponible en Français. :)

Screenshot 1:

Screenshot 2:

->Download Nothing About The Dog v1Cbeta4 (.zip file, around 68Mo)<-

To play the game, extract the archive and launch NATD_ags.exe. Game available in English and French. Estimated playtime: ~10 minutes.

Hello!
Here's my first video game! 8-0
I was planning to adapt the complete novel Three Men in a boat, and I started by the Chapter 10. It took me 18 month to complete it, so even if I plane to develop another chapter, I will certainly never complete this project (we always see to big the first time...). Anyway, Chapter 10 is now available & enjoyable, and I will soon start working on chatper 11.
The book Three Men in a boat is a comic novel first published in 1889 (freely available on the Internet now). Here's a small extract:
Quote from: Jerome K. JeromeIt always does seem to me that I am doing more work than I should do. It is not that I object to the work, mind you; I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. I love to keep it by me: the idea of getting rid of it nearly breaks my heart.
   You cannot give me too much work; to accumulate work has almost become a passion with me: my study is so full of it now, that there is hardly an inch of room for any more. I shall have to throw out a wing soon.
   And I am careful of my work, too. Why, some of the work that I have by me now has been in my possession for years and years, and there isn't a finger-mark on it. I take a great pride in my work; I take it down now and then and dust it. No man keeps his work in a better state of preservation than I do.
   But, though I crave for work, I still like to be fair. I do not ask for more than my proper share.
The story is just three buddies rowing up the Thames from London to Oxford because, you know, they worked so hard.

Many thanks to Calin Leafshade for its plugin SpriteFont render. Many thanks to vaztr, Mandle and Babar for there proofreading of the English version.
Because I am still terrible in English, it is probable than you'll meet a few typos. Do not hesitate to signal them to me!
On some configuration, on rare non reproducible occasions, you may encounter a crash while putting the kettle on the spirit shove (something like An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004522A6 ; program pointer is +72, ACI version 3.3.0.1144, gtags (3,3)). :(

Any comments welcome !

edit by darth - un-hid the screenshots (they must be visible)
edit 2017-05-31: the game development is paused for now...

Eric

Pierrec

This is great!
I haven't read the book and enjoyed it a lot! I would like to play the whole book this way. The balance between narration and interraction is great and subtle

Billbis

Many thanks for playing it, pierrec!
I'm very glad you enjoy the narration style. My personal opinion was that they were to many text and not enough gameplay, but if people enjoy it like that, that's great news!
I'm just starting developing the next chapter. It should take me something around one years (sadly I can only to afford a couple of hours per week on this project and I am not very efficient).
I'll keep you updated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk