AGS 3.3.4 Preparation

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 02/06/2015 22:05:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Here's the test (pre-release) build of the following 3.3 update. Its main purpose (aside from bug fixes) was the removal of script symbol limits, that caused trouble to some of the projects recently. Since this is a critical issue for some game developers, it was decided to move this feature down to 3.3.4 instead of making people wait till 3.4.0 becomes a stable version.

Download ZIP: http://www.mediafire.com/download/okm7413oaayy0io/AGS-3.3.4.zip
This is not a full installation package; the contents must be copied over latest public version AGS 3.3.3.

Includes features:
* Script symbol limit removed (ws 10.000 symbols);
* Papagayo lip sync support added (request by AGD2, who basically needed symbol limit and Papagayo to complete their game);

Noteable bug fixes:
* Restored original behavior for games with letterbox option (letterbox by design) where rooms with greater height should not have borders displayed over them (was broken in 3.3.3 or 3.3.2).
* Fixed Hq2x and Hq3x filters not working properly if the selected screen resolution includes side-borders (a very old bug).

The purpose of this build is to let people test if the script symbol limit removal works for them and no compilation problems arise.

I would also like to know if there are other critical issues that prevent a game developer complete his/her game in 3.3 version. If there are such problems, we could be adding fixes here.

AGD2

Excellent, thanks, CW! I'll test this for a while and let you know if I run into any issues.

MiteWiseacreLives!

I'm going to try this build tommorrow, having one issue with my version of 3.3 not sure if it's known.
Whenever my game crashes in debug mode it locks up and I have to force it closed, it should just return to the editor and close itself.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Wed 03/06/2015 15:46:46
Whenever my game crashes in debug mode it locks up and I have to force it closed, it should just return to the editor and close itself.
What kind of crash is that? Like it quits on script error, or terrible crash happens with crash dump written?

MiteWiseacreLives!

Just on a script error problem I get the lock-up

Looking into this some more, having trouble replicating it was happening all the time before.. I think its because of evil ITunes running in the background, without it running AGS closes just fine!

AGD2

Well, I've been testing for several days now with 3.3.4, and so far, so good. No crashes or glitches to speak of, and the symbols limitation seems to be effectively lifted. It has posed no more problems.

Crimson Wizard

AGD2, there is a description for Pamela in the AGS manual:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/ags22.htm#topic34

Would you be able to write a similar explanation for Papagayo?

E: Or maybe someone else who knows how to work with it?

Crimson Wizard

Updated build (3.3.4.1).
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6rt8f4nx63hn0xa/AGS-3.3.4.1.zip

Added two script properties:
Code: ags

bool Character.Thinking; // same as Speaking but for Think()
int Character.ThinkingFrame; // same as SpeakingFrame but for Think()

AGD2

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. I've PM'd you a tutorial on how to use Papagayo for lip-syncing, for inclusion in the manual.

And thanks for the .Thinking properties! Just tested them and all appears to be working as intended.

Dualnames

Three things. Not concerning this version, cause I haven't tested
1) There's a limit on else-ifs, it's not small, but I run into it.
2) There's a limit on 3.3.2 (not sure if lifted) that you cannot display more than 75 objects and characters per room. I've worked around that, but it exists alright.
3) I remember we had a custom build with mouse functions implemented, are these getting in on 3.4.0 ?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 05/07/2015 17:38:46
Three things. Not concerning this version, cause I haven't tested
1) There's a limit on else-ifs, it's not small, but I run into it.
2) There's a limit on 3.3.2 (not sure if lifted) that you cannot display more than 75 objects and characters per room. I've worked around that, but it exists alright.
3) I remember we had a custom build with mouse functions implemented, are these getting in on 3.4.0 ?
All this is getting into 3.4 or further versions, if will be done at all.
The differences between versions is getting bigger every time, and it becomes tedious to put more advanced features into older version.
I could not get mouse functions in yet, because it appeared that sensitivity does not work well enough. This is in my priority after I release 3.3.4.

AGD2

I experienced this a while back, but forgot to report it. Dunno if it's important or not, but I'll drop it here just in case.

If I compile a game's source code from a 3.3.4 game in 3.4.0, and then attempt to restore a game saved in 3.3.4, it crashes with:

QuoteAn internal error has occurred. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.
(ACI version 3.4.0.5)

Error: Can't deserialize interaction: too many events"

Clicking the OK button to close down that box then pops up an Illegal Exception:

QuoteAn exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004E42F6 ; program pointer is +9903, ACI version 3.4.0.5, gtags (52,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)

Let me know if you need the CrashInfo.dmp file.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Thu 09/07/2015 17:50:27
I experienced this a while back, but forgot to report it. Dunno if it's important or not, but I'll drop it here just in case.

If I compile a game's source code from a 3.3.4 game in 3.4.0, and then attempt to restore a game saved in 3.3.4, it crashes with:

Yes, there is a bug in 3.4.0, it doesn't affect 3.3.4, obviously. I will be fixing it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk